Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 03:59 AM

17 posts, read 41,986 times

Advertisements

In Norway it depends on region, in Finnmark region located in north part, avg is 5'9.5'' compared to southern 5'11.5''. I think same situation is with Sweden too. In Germany, Bavaria for example is like Austria 5'10.5'', when i was in Austria i was one of the taller dudes, most of people were 5'9'' to 6'. In Finland, where Helsinki is its 5'11'', but rest of country is 5'10''. In Italy, north has avg like Austria i think like 5'10.5'' compared to south where its 5'8.5'' (estimates). Now with former Yugoslavia, in Croatia its usually measured to be 5'11'', but only 18 year olds were measured, i think if they measure 20-25 year olds it would be 6'+. In Dalmatia considering its coastal part of dinaric alps, i read somewhere that avg is 183.8cm. In Montenegro, which is majority of dinaric alps avg is 183.5cm slightly less than NL. Now Bosnia isnt as tall on avg as Herzegovina, because Herzegovina is dinaric dominated and only half of Bosnia is covered with dinaric mountains too avg is measured 185.4cm in 2005 in 17 year olds, Bosnia i believe is few cm's lower, where i live its maybe 5'11' among 19-30 year olds because i see wide range of heights every day, somewhere there's a dude who is 5'10'' and then i see a dude who is 6'4''.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 09:15 PM

3,314 posts, read 2,214,542 times
Tallest: WI, MN, ND and IA

Shortest: NM, HI, AZ, and CA

Old 10-11-2016, 03:53 PM

What about Vermont and Colorado? Anyone have any experience in these states?

Old 01-13-2017, 02:59 AM

2 posts, read 8,490 times
Tallest:
Minnesota has the tallest people for sure. After that would probably be the Dakotas, Wisconsin, Iowa and Nebraska. I'm 5'9" and half the girls at my university in Nebraska are taller than me, granted many students here are from the upper Midwest and northern Europeans (some of the tallest people in the world) migrated to the upper midwestern states. The average height of males here at my university is around 6'1", plus most guys look taller in the winter because of boots.

Shortest:
The states with the shortest are probably New York (especially in NYC), California (both have immigrants from all over), all other northeastern states in addition to New York, Texas (many Hispanics), New Mexico, Hawaii (many Asians, especially Japanese and Filipino people), and certain parts of Arizona.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:20 AM

2 posts, read 8,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthfox94 View Post
I'd say the upper midwest (Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin) Is the tallest region due to the large influence of Scandinavians, Dutch and Eastern European decent. People from those regions tend to be quite tall, as for the shortest I'll just guess and say Hawaii. It has the largest Asian population, most Asian countries have an average male height of below 5'7", I don't think Native Hawaiians are very tall either.
I've lived in Hawai'i for a long time and I can attest to the fact that Native Hawaiians are actually huge. They're not only tall but also have large frames to begin with. King Kamehameha I, for example, was over 7 feet tall. Some evidence for that is that his spear was huge and his cape was long. The cape is important because native Hawaiian chiefs didn't let their cape touch the ground. Native Hawaiians are different from Samoans, who are different from Tongans. But all three are huge in stature. The most commonplace example is Dwayne Johnson; he's 6'4". Even if he didn't bulk up he'd still be that height because of his genes. Plus, take a look at all the popular Samoan entertainment wrestlers; out of Dwayne Johnson, Roman Rains, Umaga, Samoa Joe and Rikishi, the shortest one is Rikishi at 6'1" (which may be the shortest of them but is not short).

The reason Hawai'i has the shortest people is because those people are Asians (Japanese, Chinese (not every Chinese person because Chinese people are actually getting taller now), Vietnamese, and Filipino. And no, not South Koreans; South Koreans are tall compared to the rest of the Asian continent).

Old 01-13-2017, 09:44 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thescarletspeedster View Post
Shortest:
The states with the shortest are probably [b]New York (especially in NYC)
This is another case where NYC spoils the contest for NY overall (as you seem to have noticed).

Up here where I live there is a lot more Dutch, German and Scottish/Irish ancestry than downstate. Middle aged and younger people here tend around six feet tall on average. I am six foot one myself.

Most people I meet who are short are either over 70 years old and/or are Italian.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:40 AM

I dont think ancestry has anything to do with someones height. Sure nothern europeans are some of the tallest but thats right now,and german and scandinavian immigration to US has occured between 17th century to early 20th century, and avg height of people in those times were much lower than today. Avg height of american caucasian male no matter of ancestry wether its german, scott-irish, dutch etc... is 5'10'', african americans about same, asian and latinos 5'7''. There's no way that in countries like US it could be much different height wise between states including upper mid west where avg height cant be more than 5'11'' maximum, but even then in states like Minnesota and Wisconsin heights among males wont be any different from other parts of US, maybe large variety in height like 5'7'' to 6'1'' at best but nothing more than that. American food is garbage and americans dont lead healthy lifestyle, they rank about 30th in avg height around the world, and americans stopped growing since 80's only youth are growing but in very little pace compared to even some 2nd and 3rd world countries.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:01 PM

260 posts, read 433,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isko96 View Post
I dont think ancestry has anything to do with someones height. Sure nothern europeans are some of the tallest but thats right now,and german and scandinavian immigration to US has occured between 17th century to early 20th century, and avg height of people in those times were much lower than today. Avg height of american caucasian male no matter of ancestry wether its german, scott-irish, dutch etc... is 5'10'', african americans about same, asian and latinos 5'7''. There's no way that in countries like US it could be much different height wise between states including upper mid west where avg height cant be more than 5'11'' maximum, but even then in states like Minnesota and Wisconsin heights among males wont be any different from other parts of US, maybe large variety in height like 5'7'' to 6'1'' at best but nothing more than that. American food is garbage and americans dont lead healthy lifestyle, they rank about 30th in avg height around the world, and americans stopped growing since 80's only youth are growing but in very little pace compared to even some 2nd and 3rd world countries.
The average height of young White males in the U.S. is around 5'10.4'' from a study about a decade ago. Studies can be skewed depending on sample size and where they're taken. Larger studies in Europe typically find that Germans are only around 5'10''-5'11'' on average and most Scandinavian countries actually average at or below 6 feet. Not a huge difference from the US, even among the tall European countries.

Having traveled to much of Europe, I'd say ethnicity plays a large role in the heights we see in the U.S. today. Southern Europeans in the U.S. are typically short, even though they tend to be wealthy and live in areas of the U.S. that have high standards of living and low rates of obesity. New York, Massachusetts, Vermont, and Connecticut rank among the healthiest states, yet they probably have the shortest Whites in the country. Southern Europeans, English, and French are not very tall.

Meanwhile, a state like Iowa ranks terribly in health with high rates of obesity, yet the people there are giants compared to people from the Northeast. The high amount of Northern European genes really shows.

Old 01-19-2017, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blainnyc View Post
The average height of young White males in the U.S. is around 5'10.4'' from a study about a decade ago. Studies can be skewed depending on sample size and where they're taken. Larger studies in Europe typically find that Germans are only around 5'10''-5'11'' on average and most Scandinavian countries actually average at or below 6 feet. Not a huge difference from the US, even among the tall European countries.

Having traveled to much of Europe, I'd say ethnicity plays a large role in the heights we see in the U.S. today. Southern Europeans in the U.S. are typically short, even though they tend to be wealthy and live in areas of the U.S. that have high standards of living and low rates of obesity. New York, Massachusetts, Vermont, and Connecticut rank among the healthiest states, yet they probably have the shortest Whites in the country. Southern Europeans, English, and French are not very tall.

Meanwhile, a state like Iowa ranks terribly in health with high rates of obesity, yet the people there are giants compared to people from the Northeast. The high amount of Northern European genes really shows.
I dont know, i read somewhere on different forum that most of german immigration came from south and central Germany and those areas usually have strong 5'10" avg when i say that i mean between 179-180 cm compared to north west where avg hits 181cm somewhere around same as Denmark. You said Wisconsin is the tallest, how many 6 footers do you see on street in percentage and are you really 6'1" like you claimed, have you measured yourself barefoot no hair included?

Old 01-19-2017, 11:06 AM

260 posts, read 433,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isko96 View Post
I dont know, i read somewhere on different forum that most of german immigration came from south and central Germany and those areas usually have strong 5'10" avg when i say that i mean between 179-180 cm compared to north west where avg hits 181cm somewhere around same as Denmark. You said Wisconsin is the tallest, how many 6 footers do you see on street in percentage and are you really 6'1" like you claimed, have you measured yourself barefoot no hair included?
Yes, I measure myself barefoot. If I measure myself out of bed I'm well over 6'1''. With shoes I measure usually around 6'2.5'' (I have very very short hair).

In my male acquaintance circle of about 15 people, only 3 are under 6 feet, the shortest being 5'9''. There's 3 people in my group who stand over 6'5''(6'6'', 6'7'', and 6'9''). The rest are pretty much between 6'1'' and 6'3''.

From going to concerts and walking around, I'd say the average height here is at least 6 feet among White males. When I first moved here from New York I attended a small concert and was shocked at how tall everyone was. I felt below average in height, and I noticed maybe a couple of people in the
crowd who stood under 6 feet.
Walking around on a general day I'd say the average person is around my height. Northern and Western Wisconsin are especially tall, while Milwaukee seems pretty normal in height due to less Scandinavians and Germans.

Walking around department stores in rural Wisconsin and Iowa makes me feel short at times. I will see entire groups of people who are taller than me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.