Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 07:56 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,564,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
BlueCareBear...ever taken the chance to swim in the waters of SoCal? People exaggerate how cold it is. Not the warmest but certainly swimmable from July-October. Actually now in San Diego, the water is warmer than the Jersey Shore. In Jersey, it is barely 71F. In San Diego, it is 75F. And not all of the Pacific is freezing. Hawaii is in the Pacific, has the warmest SSTs in the USA. And overall, the Pacific is a warmer ocean than the Atlantic. The West Coast is just influenced by the south-flowing Alaskan current, while the East Coast has the warm Gulf Stream flowing up north-bound. In Eurasia, it is the opposite: the water flowing in the Atlantic is coming down from Iceland, so Portuguese beaches in summer will have colder water. In Japan, the water is warm in summer because the current flows up from the tropics. But if you measure both bodies of water on the Equator, the Pacific has 88F surf while the Atlantic tops out at 85F.
And if you are that much of a water wuss, coastal Baja and the Sea of Cortez are weekend getaways from SoCal.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:58 PM

402 posts, read 686,716 times
the West, as Jim said, is the Best!

Old 07-24-2014, 08:35 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,344,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The East will be the better portion of the country with the threat of semi-permanent drought and water shortages becoming more likely and more often across the West.
Absolutely. There has been so many news stories about the droughts out west, and then showing people watering their lawns. Keep on wasting that natural resource....

Old 07-24-2014, 09:39 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
BlueCareBear...ever taken the chance to swim in the waters of SoCal? People exaggerate how cold it is. Not the warmest but certainly swimmable from July-October. Actually now in San Diego, the water is warmer than the Jersey Shore. In Jersey, it is barely 71F. In San Diego, it is 75F. And not all of the Pacific is freezing. Hawaii is in the Pacific, has the warmest SSTs in the USA. And overall, the Pacific is a warmer ocean than the Atlantic. The West Coast is just influenced by the south-flowing Alaskan current, while the East Coast has the warm Gulf Stream flowing up north-bound. In Eurasia, it is the opposite: the water flowing in the Atlantic is coming down from Iceland, so Portuguese beaches in summer will have colder water. In Japan, the water is warm in summer because the current flows up from the tropics. But if you measure both bodies of water on the Equator, the Pacific has 88F surf while the Atlantic tops out at 85F.
That is highly unusual for here, there have been weird tide and wind changes this summer that have made NJ/area water temps much cooler than normal. There have been plenty of news articles and broadcasts on it because it is so unusual.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:56 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
That is highly unusual for here, there have been weird tide and wind changes this summer that have made NJ/area water temps much cooler than normal. There have been plenty of news articles and broadcasts on it because it is so unusual.
And water temps get even warmer as you travel South from New Jersey to Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, The Outerbanks, Georgia, Florida, etc. In California San Diego is the warmest it will get and it really doesn't seem to get hot enough in most of Cali for beach days like we have here of being able to casually be in and out of the water.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:23 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,862,813 times
I used to think the west and mountains were my favorite, but I've learned to appreciate any type of landscape.
For day to day living, I like the rolling hills of the Midwest.
Being able to look out and see a mountain as opposed to a farm really no longer seems like such a big deal.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:39 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
With the exception of maybe two delusional people on this thread your on your own. The west destroys the eastern half of the country when it comes to natural beauty. I know this is just my opinion but if you ask 10 honest people this question 9 out of 10 would probably acknowledge the west is superior when it comes to the subject at hand.
This kind of attitude does not make the West look any better. If you prefer it, fine, but why do you have to accuse people with different opinions than you of being not only wrong, but actually dishonest?

Arrogance is uglier than anything East or West.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:56 AM

68 posts, read 121,774 times
HELLLLLL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EAST TAKES IT!!!!

Old 07-25-2014, 12:23 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Different places, different types of beauty IMO.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:46 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
I used to think the west and mountains were my favorite, but I've learned to appreciate any type of landscape.
For day to day living, I like the rolling hills of the Midwest.
Being able to look out and see a mountain as opposed to a farm really no longer seems like such a big deal.
I disagree, because a farm is manmade, and is therefore an eye sore. At least mountains are untouched natural beauty. Nothing turns me off more than seeing farm land. I mean, it's not that bad, but still. It's cultivated land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.