U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-12-2017, 10:17 PM
 
305 posts, read 238,588 times
Reputation: 434

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I've always thought redneck meant an utter lack of sophistication. Not necessarily a bad thing.
Yeah pretty much my feelings. Not a bad thing by any means.

 
Old 03-13-2017, 10:52 AM
 
2,797 posts, read 1,652,843 times
Reputation: 2033
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
Southern but not redneck:

Miami
El Paso
Austin
Tuscon
Atlanta

Redneck but not southern

Central rural parts of PA/OH/IN/IL
A lot of Upstate NY
Tucson and El Paso aren't really southern, I think they're part of the South West.
 
Old 03-13-2017, 11:23 AM
 
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
15,534 posts, read 17,769,225 times
Reputation: 30886
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
Southern but not redneck:

Miami
El Paso
Austin
Tuscon
Atlanta

Redneck but not southern

Central rural parts of PA/OH/IN/IL
A lot of Upstate NY


Perhaps you were unaware that when discussing "The South", capital 'S', we are talking about Dixie.
 
Old 03-13-2017, 01:49 PM
 
29,949 posts, read 27,441,480 times
Reputation: 18540
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Perhaps you were unaware that when discussing "The South", capital 'S', we are talking about Dixie.
I can let the mention of El Paso slide since it's in a former Confederate state, although it's obviously more tied to the Southwest than the traditional South. But there's no reason Tucson should be included.
 
Old 03-15-2017, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Appalachian New York, Formerly Louisiana
4,102 posts, read 4,746,176 times
Reputation: 5379
Thing about the terms redneck and hillbilly, they were both allegedly coined in the south to refer to certain types of people. Negativity depended on the person using it.

Some people seem to think that because of the southern roots of the words that they cannot apply to the same exact kind of people outside of the south. I disagree.

Both iterations of the words hillbilly and redneck (by which I mean both as insults or self bestowed badges of pride) in fact apply to people outside of the American south. In fact they even apply to people outside of America. Ever been to rural New Brunswick? Donair-eatin' rednecks, eh?

The people who fit the bill of either exist in any westernized culture. I would say especially in the US and Canada by our understanding of the sort.

All you have to do is traverse back-woods NY, PA and Ohio or go out into Montana or Idaho to see that the north on either side is just as full of this kind of person as the south. It's just not the focal point of the regional identity in the same way I guess.

Another fascinating case is rural California. Not what you'd expect.
 
Old 03-15-2017, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Appalachian New York, Formerly Louisiana
4,102 posts, read 4,746,176 times
Reputation: 5379
Oh and, I saw somebody earlier in the thread ask what the difference between a hillbilly and a redneck is. I think I've got some of it down from personal experience in both categories (I gots roots, believe me).

A redneck exhibits generally rural minded qualities. Ingenuity with working on things, the willingness to try something boneheaded for the sake of getting it to function. Typically very into fishing, hunting, trapping, sports, NASCAR, etc. Often a gear head too. Bold personalities though not always to their benefit.

Rednecks can be from a city and can be pretty well to do. Some rednecks I've known (from Louisiana) were hardcore but had never been poor in their lives.

A hillbilly may share some of this but is actually more defined by two other factors. One, having lived in or is currently in poverty. Two, is at least from somewhere with hills (personal preference I suppose). Since hillbilly traditionally refers to the impoverished residents of southern and central Appalachia, the qualities are more in line with that region.

The term certainly applies to citizens of the northern Appalachians as well, I know this all too well. However, people are less likely to label northerners as hillbillies so much as people here label themselves. That said, vacationers from highly urban areas who travel into the hills in the summer do tend to treat the locals like low brow garbage; we are not immune to this judgment here. Many a bad word about upstate NY or central PA has been uttered by people from NYC, Jersey and urban Maryland.

Remember, the rich northerners are the ones who can afford to travel. That's why you always meet that type. Doesn't mean the rest of us don't exist.

Addendum: I forgot to mention that I also feel there is more stoicism in hillbilly sub-culture than in redneck. A tendency to keep a reserved and suspicious eye on strangers. However, people of this ilk can also be very friendly at the same time.

On the in-breeding stereotype, it's stupid. The most in-bred people in history were high-class royals, both European and Asian. Everybody has a branch that folds backwards somewhere in their family tree regardless of circumstance. Dumb stereotype.

Last edited by CookieSkoon; 03-15-2017 at 11:51 AM..
 
Old 03-15-2017, 10:21 PM
 
2,797 posts, read 1,652,843 times
Reputation: 2033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I can let the mention of El Paso slide since it's in a former Confederate state, although it's obviously more tied to the Southwest than the traditional South. But there's no reason Tucson should be included.
If anything I'd put Tuscon in the redneck but not southern category.
 
Old 03-16-2017, 03:05 PM
 
2,729 posts, read 5,159,377 times
Reputation: 1948
Cities that are considered "progressive" like Portland and Seattle have their fair share of rednecks. Eugene/Springfield win the prize of probably the most redneck area in the NW.
 
Old 03-17-2017, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,872 posts, read 3,000,080 times
Reputation: 3408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Cities that are considered "progressive" like Portland and Seattle have their fair share of rednecks. Eugene/Springfield win the prize of probably the most redneck area in the NW.
Sad to hear about Eugene. Would love to live there one day.
 
Old 03-17-2017, 10:36 AM
 
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
15,534 posts, read 17,769,225 times
Reputation: 30886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Sad to hear about Eugene. Would love to live there one day.
I have lived in some redneck areas. Rednecks are people, too. And 10-30% of all people, whether redneck or urbane, are A-holes.

The trick is to find a place that is at the lower end of that statistic and let the rednecks and urbanites fall where they may.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top