Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2014, 08:35 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
In the eyes of a New Englander, this is how I feel about the southern states (I've been to them all except AR):

Stereotype doesn't apply
Maryland
Delaware
District of Columbia

Stereotype sometimes applies
Florida
North Carolina
Georgia
Texas
Virginia
Tennessee
Oklahoma
Kentucky

Stereotype almost always applies
West Virginia
South Carolina
Alabama
Mississippi
Louisiana
Arkansas

But even in places like the Jackson, MS metro area, I didn't really see the stereotypes that much, other than noticeable obesity rates. With regard to Florida, the stereotypes typically apply only to the panhandle. And within Texas, the stereotype doesn't apply much in the major metro areas, as well as Atlanta metro. West Virginia and eastern Kentucky is *extremely* backwoods from what I've witnessed in person.
Actually, that was an interesting list IMO. I would agree with most of it, trying to think of the same list but regarding southern metros. I guess Northern Virginia would be on the top of the list for stereotypes that don't apply.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:40 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Yet another C-D thread created for the sole purpose of bashing the South and insulting people -- good people, Godly people, loving people, caring people, patriotic people, some of the finest people alive on this earth. When you look down your noses at Southerners for being poor, uneducated and religious, you're passing judgment and insulting my ancestors -- and most particlularly my grandparents, who were two of the most righteous and saintly people who ever lived. So pardon me for stating here, on the record, that all of you hate Southerners frankly disgust me.

But at the same time, I feel deeply sorry for you for being so shallow and ignorant. Who cares about Southern "stereotypes?" None of that makes Southerners "bad." I will never understand why some people on this site insist on thinking they are so much better than others. Because I've got news for you: You're not. Arrogance is one of the least flattering and most unpleasant attributes that a person can show. Yet there's no shortage of that among the people on this site, and on this thread.

Today, I attended the funeral for the mother of a childhood friend. This Godly woman was one of the sweetest, kindest, most caring and giving individuals I have ever known. The service was held at a Southern Baptist church. It was a beautiful and moving tribute to this woman's life (not unlike the many Southern funerals which I find myself attending more frequently these days, including that of my dear father earlier this year). It occurs to me that this woman probably fits all the stereotypes that so many of you on this thread ridicule with such unapologetic abandon. Your level of hate is simply mind-boggling to me. There no excuse for it. Have you any idea how truly ugly it is?

I'm just sick and tired of all this ugliness and pettiness. You people need to get out of your little "me" comfort zones and discover how wonderful humankind is -- including Southerners!!! Self-educate yourselves and stop being so vain and loathsome.

Exactly right. And I might add that most of the people that I know here in Charleston, SC live a much higher class of life than any of the ones on this board that are criticizing the South. Most here could only wish to live like that.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:42 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,348,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Exactly right. And I might add that most of the people that I know here in Charleston, SC live a much higher class of life than any of the ones on this board that are criticizing the South. Most here could only wish to live like that.
We would all be living higher class with how cheap the housing is down south.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
We would all be living higher class with how cheap the housing is down south.

Come to Charleston and find out how cheap it is. Most of you could not afford to live there. Ignorance is bliss. You could not afford it.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:13 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,348,951 times
Quote:
Come to Charleston and find out how cheap it is. Most of you could not afford to live there. Ignorance is bliss. You could not afford it.
I live in the DC area and lived in DC. I could buy three homes in Charleston. Come up north and learn what high COL means. Not saying low COL is a bad thing..... It's obviously a pro and not a con. Although, it's funny how you say ignorance is bliss then you assume I can't afford to live in Charleston out of all places... Hysterical.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
I live in the DC area and lived in DC. I could buy three homes in Charleston. Come up north and learn what high COL means. Not saying low COL is a bad thing..... It's obviously a pro and not a con. Although, it's funny how you say ignorance is bliss then you assume I can't afford to live in Charleston out of all places... Hysterical.

Yeah right! I believe you.
PS I have lived up North and believe me living here is so much nicer.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:29 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,340,086 times
No. The South will not shed its stereotypical image because it thrives and strives to be poor as a way to be "competitive" with 3rd world countries like Mexico and China. It is the land of "cheaper is better."

The real question is will the South manage to bring the rest of the country down in the race to the bottom.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
No. The South will not shed its stereotypical image because it thrives and strives to be poor as a way to be "competitive" with 3rd world countries like Mexico and China. It is the land of "cheaper is better."

The real question is will the South manage to bring the rest of the country down in the race to the bottom.

That is about the most ignorant post I have seen on this thread. Ignorance prevails.

Last edited by Scotty011; 11-29-2014 at 10:12 PM..

Old 11-29-2014, 09:59 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post

Yet you live in the South. Way to do your part. Bravo.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:12 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
Do you understand the concepts of averages and medians? Is this some performance art to illustrate the relative quality of South Carolina public schools?

Ah, yes, as you wrote, ignorance is bliss...

Obviously no one implied that every single municipality in the South was "cheap". The point is that, on average, the South is poorer and cheaper than other parts of the country. There are neighborhoods in Mexico that make Charleston look dirt-cheap, doesn't mean that Mexico is richer than the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.