Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2015, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 871 times

Advertisements

-1 here in east barre vermont today. its been a very cold winter here this year. it hasn't been above freezing for a month. i just got back from a month in florida.i'd love to spend the whole winter there but with 10 grandkids its hard to stay away but i hate winters. would it be terrible of me to stay in florida for 4 months? would i be a terrible grandpa if i did. i'm 65 now and most unhappy here in vt during the winter. but boy i feel guilty when they call and say "papa when you coming home". haha so i pack up head home. i been home now 2 weeks and ready to go back.is it mean of me to want to go back so soon. just one more month. then winter will be almost gone. by the way its the younger ones who rely one me.5yrs old to 11yrs old. the olders ones are busy now with their friends and video games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 01:00 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,219,194 times
I was fine until the last few weeks, and then this zero degree and single digit stuff the past 4-5 days is just silly for late February. Normally even though February is a winter month it actually sees average highs rise from 30 degrees to 43 degrees for Chicago.

I'm done with zero degree weather. Totally fine with cold weather in November, December and January, but now it's just time to start sloping back up.

At least it'll be March by the end of this week and at some point things have to start getting warmer.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:13 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,009,909 times
Oh, the horror...For a Texan, this really is awful - about as awful as 90 degree weather feels to someone from another region (a temperature not uncommon for a "balmy spring day" around here!). Honestly, this is terrible. Make it stop.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 02-07-2020 at 07:15 AM..

Old 02-23-2015, 03:35 PM

148 posts, read 228,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Here in eastern MD we have only had one snow. Though I can't stand the cold, if it's going to be cold at least put some snow on the ground to brighten things up. We always get rain.

All this cold weather frikin sucks, as I stated earlier, but for us, when it's super cold, it's usually not with precipitation. those systems seem to usually have enough of a temperature rise by the time they reach us that we get rain. And rain. And more rain. Trust me, cold with rain is just pure miserable and depressing.

We should be in the solid mid 40's during the day with enough 50+ degree days to make doing things outside possible. We can usually go rockfishing (striped bass) right off the coast through the winter. uncommon here are daytime temps below 40 and days below freezing is rare. HOWEVER, this Feb, as well as last Feb those low temps seem more normal. the other day I saw 15 as a high in the day time. Never in my life have I seen that in the day. Yesterday hit the low 40's and it felt like a heat wave, but that was short lived as it is again in the low 30's today. Our back bays are frozen. F'n FROZEN. Salt water FROZEN. It is getting old.

I've already promised my wife that next winter we are going to start being in FL again, even if it means never returning to this arctic wasteland. I'll miss it here but these last couple of winters here have SUCKED and I don't want to be here if this is the new normal.
You think Maryland is an arctic wasteland?

Try Upstate NY. Maryland is balmy compared to here. It's pathetic and sad that I would go to Maryland for better weather, and substantially better. 15% more annual sunshine, much warmer temperatures. 1/5th the snowfall.

The average high here this month is 9 degrees and it's snowed 50 inches. (And were at BELOW AVERAGE for our usual snowfall...)

Old 02-24-2015, 08:02 AM

638 posts, read 979,405 times
-35 windchill in north Columbus this morning.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:15 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,048,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh, the horror...For a Texan, this really is awful - about as awful as 90 degree weather feels to someone from another region (a temperature not uncommon for a "balmy spring day" around here!). Honestly, this is terrible. Make it stop.
Looks like an april day in Michigan. I'd love 90 degree weather right now.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:45 PM

338 posts, read 557,198 times
Still miserable as hell

Old 03-02-2015, 04:31 PM

1 posts, read 711 times
Snow storm after snow storm in NY UGH!!!! Calgon Take Me Away!!!!

Old 03-02-2015, 04:35 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,682,521 times
Many places are seeing the warmest winter on record. Might sound nice at first but we are in our 4th year of drought and need the rain and snow desperately. Our rainy season ends in April so looks like it's going to be another bad, dry summer.

Bay Area’s warm winter shattering records

Old 03-02-2015, 05:26 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,839,461 times
Crater Lake National Park ranger station - 28" of snow on Feb 28. Average on Feb 28 is 110" of snow. This is the lowest on record since they started measuring in 1931.

They are actually about right in overall precip, but it has fallen as rain, not snow and we depend on summer snow pack melt for water in the summer and fall. No snow pack, no summer water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.