Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Little Rock is more like ATLANTA or more like DALLAS?
Atlanta 33 45.21%
Dallas 40 54.79%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 01:48 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
I don't think the OP is saying that LR shares many similarities with DAL or ATL, but if you had to pick between the two which would it be more like.
That's like asking "Which guy is Rowan Atkinson more like - Brad Pitt or George Clooney?"

Or "Which does a boiled egg taste the most like - a chocolate shake or a roast beef sandwich?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 06:51 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,791,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
That's like asking "Which guy is Rowan Atkinson more like - Brad Pitt or George Clooney?"

Or "Which does a boiled egg taste the most like - a chocolate shake or a roast beef sandwich?"
No. It's not the same thing at all.

If Arkansas and Texas border each other, common sense should tell you guys that there would be more cultural parallels between Little Rock and Dallas than either city would have with Atlanta. Dallas is not so big that it does not retain any regional characteristics. All one has to do is visit southern Dallas County to find a place that is very similar to Little Rock.

Again, y'all have made this far too complicated.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:14 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:

If Arkansas and Texas border each other, common sense should tell you guys that there would be more cultural parallels between Little Rock and Dallas than either city would have with Atlanta. Dallas is not so big that it does not retain any regional characteristics. All one has to do is visit southern Dallas County to find a place that is very similar to Little Rock.

I think it's a stupid question myself.

I've spent a lot of time in all three cities - LR, Dallas, and Atlanta. LR is simply NOT similar to either of the other two cities. It is so dissimilar to Dallas that the very idea is sort of jarring. The two cities are hardly alike at all - even their weather and terrain are very different.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:21 AM

320 posts, read 578,608 times
Ok OP... I'll play your game. Little Rock is a state capital like Atlanta is a state capitol. Dallas is not a state capital.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I think it's a stupid question myself.

I've spent a lot of time in all three cities - LR, Dallas, and Atlanta. LR is simply NOT similar to either of the other two cities. It is so dissimilar to Dallas that the very idea is sort of jarring. The two cities are hardly alike at all - even their weather and terrain are very different.
There's no problem with the OP's question. It's that y'all don't understand what he's asking you.

As a whole, no, Little Rock and Dallas are not similar, but that does not mean that there aren't similarities that exist between them. There are parallels when it comes to accents, food, etc.

Due to Little Rock being further north and east, it's climate will be a tad cooler and wetter than Dallas', but the differences are in no way extreme. In both cities, August is the hottest and driest month and winters are reliably cloudy and wet.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:55 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,494,889 times
Pretty much. If we're discussing "mini-Atlanta's" then Charlotte, Birmingham, Raleigh/Durham, and Nashville make the most sense. As for a "mini-Dallas" I guess Oklahoma City, but I've also heard similarities drawn between Dallas and Charlotte if you could believe it. Apparently, both have a glitzy flavor.

I'm going to have to agree with mega man in this situation. Arkansas borders Texas, while Georgia is three states over to the east. That's like asking if Nashville is more similar to Dallas or Charlotte. In my mind, Arkansas isn't as culturally southern as people seem to think on this site. Grouping Arkansas with Oklahoma/Missouri/Texas makes more sense to me then grouping it with Mississippi/Tennessee/Louisiana. Obviously, it's still a southern state. But Deep South as a whole? Not if you ask me. Little Rock belongs in the same neighborhood as Tulsa or Springfield, not Montgomery or Savannah.

Anyway, I'm taking a break for a few days. Happy holidays, folks

Old 12-24-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Pretty much. If we're discussing "mini-Atlanta's" then Charlotte, Birmingham, Raleigh/Durham, and Nashville make the most sense. As for a "mini-Dallas" I guess Oklahoma City, but I've also heard similarities drawn between Dallas and Charlotte if you could believe it. Apparently, both have a glitzy flavor.

I'm going to have to agree with mega man in this situation. Arkansas borders Texas, while Georgia is three states over to the east. That's like asking if Nashville is more similar to Dallas or Charlotte. In my mind, Arkansas isn't as culturally southern as people seem to think on this site. Grouping Arkansas with Oklahoma/Missouri/Texas makes more sense to me then grouping it with Mississippi/Tennessee/Louisiana. Obviously, it's still a southern state. But Deep South as a whole? Not if you ask me. Little Rock belongs in the same neighborhood as Tulsa or Springfield, not Montgomery or Savannah.

Anyway, I'm taking a break for a few days. Happy holidays, folks
Well, I don't really agree with the points in the second paragraph, only because my belief is that the Deep South doesn't correspond to official state lines. In other words, it's never as cut and dry as saying that all of Mississippi is the Deep South while none of Arkansas is. For example, El Dorado, AR is much further south and closer to the Delta than Tupelo, MS is, so I would say that the former would be closer in look and feel to what many seem to consider the Deep South.

As others have already said, when it comes to the city's immediate surroundings, I would put it in the same neighborhood as Memphis. Tulsa and Springfield, in my experience, are noticeably less southern in culture than Little Rock is. If anything, Arkansas is just as much like Missouri and Oklahoma as it is Tennessee, Mississippi and most of Louisiana. It all depends on where in the state you are.

Old 12-25-2014, 09:01 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
There's no problem with the OP's question. It's that y'all don't understand what he's asking you.

As a whole, no, Little Rock and Dallas are not similar, but that does not mean that there aren't similarities that exist between them. There are parallels when it comes to accents, food, etc.

Due to Little Rock being further north and east, it's climate will be a tad cooler and wetter than Dallas', but the differences are in no way extreme. In both cities, August is the hottest and driest month and winters are reliably cloudy and wet.
I guess what people are saying is that the similarities that do exist between Little Rock and Dallas are so superficial and negligible in the grand scheme of things that they really mean nothing. I think that's a function of comparing metros that are so drastically different in size, and when you throw in the whole Texas flavor with respect to Dallas, it just becomes an exercise with very little practicality.

Old 12-25-2014, 09:12 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Not true. Plenty of young Dallasites and Atlantans still have southern accents.
I live in Collin County and I never hear them. The northern suburbs are completely devoid of any regional characteristics. They are far too diverse. I would throw in Fort Bend County in TX as well as Gwinnett County GA as places where regional characteristic cease to exist. But those are the only places in the South that pop to mind.

Quote:

I guess if you're talking about the older black communities. However Southern Dallas County is now about half Hispanic. Given that, I don't think Little Rock is comparable at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I guess what people are saying is that the similarities that do exist between Little Rock and Dallas are so superficial and negligible in the grand scheme of things that they really mean nothing. I think that's a function of comparing metros that are so drastically different in size, and when you throw in the whole Texas flavor with respect to Dallas, it just becomes an exercise with very little practicality.
I agree. I don't think Little Rock has much in common with Dallas at all. I think Little Rock is more of a cross between Tulsa and Memphis.

Old 12-25-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Define "superficial and negligible". However small these similarities may be, the fact of the matter is that they exist, and, in my opinion, there are more between LR and DAL than LR and ATL. That's my only point, and that's all the OP is asking from us: which city does LR have the most in common with. It's kind of dumbfounding that I have had to explain this so many times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I live in Collin County and I never hear them.
Well there's your explanation right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.