Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2017, 09:29 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times

Advertisements

Because they have U of Texas already
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 10:04 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,879,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Who would be the primary tenant of a professional level arena or stadium like that? Would it replace the Civic center and legion field?
I think Birmingham seems like a good enough candidate for a team but no other city has to compete with Bama like y'all do. Also Birmingham isn't bursting at the seams like more attractive locations are (Seattle, Nashville, Austin). A team could have the effect of the Thunder but that's very rare.
The stadium proposal would replace Legion Field, something that should of been done 10-15 years ago.

The BJCC would likely be renovated and expanded.

The biggest competition in this market would be Bama and Auburn football, so that would turn off the NFL for now, or until Birmingham goes through a major economic/population boom.

But those two football programs would have little effect on an NBA or MLS franchise.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:47 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
The stadium proposal would replace Legion Field, something that should of been done 10-15 years ago.

The BJCC would likely be renovated and expanded.

The biggest competition in this market would be Bama and Auburn football, so that would turn off the NFL for now, or until Birmingham goes through a major economic/population boom.

But those two football programs would have little effect on an NBA or MLS franchise.
I'm really hoping for taxpayers sake that it will be a dome and more aligned with an NBA arena than a NFL stadium.

MLS requires a soccer specific stadium and usually a sizeable immigrant population which Birmingham didn't have yet. So it seems the only realistic option would be the NBA. The next relocation is going to Seattle so it would have to beat the next round of cities. I don't see it happening soon but I'm all for it.

Old 04-28-2017, 12:21 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Because they have U of Texas already
I know the reason. I was just saying.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
I'm really hoping for taxpayers sake that it will be a dome and more aligned with an NBA arena than a NFL stadium.

MLS requires a soccer specific stadium and usually a sizeable immigrant population which Birmingham didn't have yet. So it seems the only realistic option would be the NBA. The next relocation is going to Seattle so it would have to beat the next round of cities. I don't see it happening soon but I'm all for it.
A retractable dome would be nice, but the domed stadium idea for Bham has been around since 1985, and a tax for it was voted down in 1999. In my opinion its a dead issue. I would be more behind an 55k-65k seat outdoor stadium downtown for the events the city currently host such as the magic city classic, and luring season opening major college football matchups etc, along with an expansion of the BJCC for NCAA bball regionals, final fours, etc.

If I had to place my bets on who is more likely to come to Bham first. I would bet on the NBA before MLS for reasons you already mentioned.

Old 04-28-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
A retractable dome would be nice, but the domed stadium idea for Bham has been around since 1985, and a tax for it was voted down in 1999. In my opinion its a dead issue. I would be more behind an 55k-65k seat outdoor stadium downtown for the events the city currently host such as the magic city classic, and luring season opening major college football matchups etc, along with an expansion of the BJCC for NCAA bball regionals, final fours, etc.

If I had to place my bets on who is more likely to come to Bham first. I would bet on the NBA before MLS for reasons you already mentioned.
Retractable domes are a gimmick and are expensive so they can save money there. I think that is a better idea. Magic City classic is a huge event, and I'm sure Bama could play a season opener or closer instead of Bryant Denny Arkansas plays in downtown Little Rock for a game. And I know Birmingham built a baseball field downtown for a minor league team recently, is there room for the arena there? That seems like it would be a huge plus I'm general and to lure a team in the future.

Old 04-28-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Retractable domes are a gimmick and are expensive so they can save money there. I think that is a better idea. Magic City classic is a huge event, and I'm sure Bama could play a season opener or closer instead of Bryant Denny Arkansas plays in downtown Little Rock for a game. And I know Birmingham built a baseball field downtown for a minor league team recently, is there room for the arena there? That seems like it would be a huge plus I'm general and to lure a team in the future.
There enough room around the current facility to expand the arena civic center. Regions Field is near the UAB campus/med center so there wouldn't as much available land to build an new arena.

Since Saban has been at Bama, most of the season openers have been played either in Atlanta or Dallas. So it would be a no brained for they and Auburn play big season opening games in Birmingham seeing that they both have played big games here in the past at Legion Field.

Old 04-28-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
There enough room around the current facility to expand the arena civic center. Regions Field is near the UAB campus/med center so there wouldn't as much available land to build an new arena.

Since Saban has been at Bama, most of the season openers have been played either in Atlanta or Dallas. So it would be a no brained for they and Auburn play big season opening games in Birmingham seeing that they both have played big games here in the past at Legion Field.
What about next to the baseball field? You could have something like Champion Square with two venues and a outdoor recreation area.

Old 04-28-2017, 04:43 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Alabama and auburn wouldn't do that because they can fill 100K+ or 87k+ venues respectively. The stadium Birmingham is proposing is barely half that, so why would they sacrifice those ticket sales?

Growing UAB football, and hoping to get some sort of SEC kickoff game starring, for instance, not so popular SEC vs ACC teams like say...Vandy vs Miami or Kentucky vs North Carolina would be a better shot.

Putting a top on it makes it so it can be used for other things than football which is really the point. Like RV shows, Baptist conventions, rodeos, etc.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:29 PM

6 posts, read 5,801 times
St. Louis is approaching 3,000,000 people and only has an MLB team and an NHL team. Kansas City on the other side of the state also has no NBA team with 2.3 million people. Meanwhile, Memphis and OKC have 1.3 and 1.4 million people respectively and both have NBA teams. Lastly, STL and KC are well away from the Thunder, Bulls, Grizzlies, Nuggets, Timberwolves, and Bucks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.