Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2017, 12:27 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,926,301 times

Advertisements

San Diego! Only has one team now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 07:24 AM

6,741 posts, read 6,730,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashmoneysamuels View Post
St. Louis is approaching 3,000,000 people and only has an MLB team and an NHL team. Kansas City on the other side of the state also has no NBA team with 2.3 million people. Meanwhile, Memphis and OKC have 1.3 and 1.4 million people respectively and both have NBA teams. Lastly, STL and KC are well away from the Thunder, Bulls, Grizzlies, Nuggets, Timberwolves, and Bucks
The NBA prefers its markets < 2.5 million to have no other pro teams. 7 of the 30 franchises play in cities like SLC, PDX, OKC, Sac etc where there are no other pro sports teams. A major reason OKC and Memphis got teams is that they don't have fans spending $ on 81 home MLB games a year. If there's an expansion, Louisville would therefore be a much more likely candidate than StL, KC, or even Las Vegas now that the Raiders and NHL are going there.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:16 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,734,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
The NBA prefers its markets < 2.5 million to have no other pro teams. 7 of the 30 franchises play in cities like SLC, PDX, OKC, Sac etc where there are no other pro sports teams. A major reason OKC and Memphis got teams is that they don't have fans spending $ on 81 home MLB games a year. If there's an expansion, Louisville would therefore be a much more likely candidate than StL, KC, or even Las Vegas now that the Raiders and NHL are going there.
Makes sense. NBA does seem to be in more cities where they are the only game in town.

NFL the only ones I can think of are GB and JAX.

In MLB only San Diego?

NHL (only US cities): Raleigh and Columbus?

Old 05-02-2017, 01:03 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Makes sense. NBA does seem to be in more cities where they are the only game in town.

NFL the only ones I can think of are GB and JAX.

In MLB only San Diego?

NHL (only US cities): Raleigh and Columbus?
You would think the NFL would be much better than every league when it come to small markets. Only 8 games a season with only 1 game per week usually. Much different than the NHL and NBA and way different from MLB.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:27 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,225,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive_SRQ View Post
We don't need any more pro sports anything. We need better schools, public, private, charter. We need cheaper tuition through public/private partnerships.

Cities don't need to get roped into building expensive sports arenas supported by revenue/use bonds on the backs of taxpayers.

Cities need better jobs, lower taxes, affordable housing efforts....not men and women bouncing balls in entertainment efforts. WE have quite enough of that *stuff* right now.

Most people can't even afford to GO to the games being played in certain cities right now !!
Arenas draw tourists. Tourists spend money for food, lodging and pay taxes on all of that.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:55 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHfan View Post
Arenas draw tourists. Tourists spend money for food, lodging and pay taxes on all of that.
Which the local government spends in tax breaks for the rich and fat government contracts for their father in laws construction business.

Old 10-18-2017, 03:19 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,964,875 times
The Columbus Crew SC of the MLS are angling towards a potential move from Columbus to Austin:

1. Source 1 (before the press interview): https://www.si.com/soccer/2017/10/16...ecourt-stadium

2. Source 2 (after the press interview): http://www.mystatesman.com/sports/so...qQNZ2tfea6bTP/

This has profound repercussions across the MLS landscape as there are 12 cities currently bidding to get the next 4 expansion MLS teams (teams 24-28). For instance, this has the potential to aid Cincinnati in its bid to join the MLS (because then they'd be the only team in Ohio), whereas this dashes San Antonio's bid for an MLS expansion club and puts it on life support. These next 4 MLS expansion teams (24-28) will be the last expansion teams added to the MLS for a long time according to Garber, the MLS Commissioner.

So this recent development has the potential to send shockwaves across the MLS landscape. It can change the fortunes, for better or worse, for many cities.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 10-18-2017 at 03:47 PM..

Old 10-18-2017, 04:23 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,376,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
The Columbus Crew SC of the MLS are angling towards a potential move from Columbus to Austin:

1. Source 1 (before the press interview): https://www.si.com/soccer/2017/10/16...ecourt-stadium

2. Source 2 (after the press interview): MLS franchise Columbus Crew SC exploring move to Austin

This has profound repercussions across the MLS landscape as there are 12 cities currently bidding to get the next 4 expansion MLS teams (teams 24-28). For instance, this has the potential to aid Cincinnati in its bid to join the MLS (because then they'd be the only team in Ohio), whereas this dashes San Antonio's bid for an MLS expansion club and puts it on life support. These next 4 MLS expansion teams (24-28) will be the last expansion teams added to the MLS for a long time according to Garber, the MLS Commissioner.

So this recent development has the potential to send shockwaves across the MLS landscape. It can change the fortunes, for better or worse, for many cities.
I didn't realize the Columbus Crew was threatening to leave for Austin. I wonder why, is it attendance or a stadium situation? I thought they had a soccer only stadium that was nice from what I'd read, but who knows? At least Columbus will still have the Blue Jackets of the NHL if they leave, so not the end of the world. But that'd be a disappointing development, if that occurred.

I feel bad for Saint Louis. IMO, I think that city could totally support more than 2 pro teams. Hopefully someday they get another chance at an NFL team, since they put up a realistic and decent proposal to the NFL, unlike San Diego and especially Oakland. Which IMO, did virtually nothing to try to keep their team, so in a way I'm not surprised the Raiders are now eventually going to move to Las Vegas by either 2019 or 2020. Depending on what happens with their 2019 year option, since their contract to play in the Coliseum is only definitely guaranteed through 2018.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:34 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,448,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I didn't realize the Columbus Crew was threatening to leave for Austin. I wonder why, is it attendance or a stadium situation? I thought they had a soccer only stadium that was nice from what I'd read, but who knows?
The owner wants a new stadium. The current one was built in, wait for it, 1999. The Austin thing is nothing new apparently. He apparently has always had an intention to move them there if he doesn't get his way in Columbus.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:44 PM

368 posts, read 453,952 times
Virginia can sure use one, particularly Norfolk or Richmond. I know some may be tired of having to root for trashy DC teams
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.