Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2019, 12:34 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I know you've been to LA, so the only thing I can say is you have to think outside of the box. Again, all of don't have a predilection that East Coast cities set the standard for urbanity. If that's how you and others feel, at least preface your opinion by saying that (as you did)...

The East Coast doesn't set the standard for me for anything, and I love and have spent most of my life on this side. I also have the knowledge that there are urban cities on every continent that are architecturally and geographically vastly different from the East Coast...

It's easy for me to say LA is on the same plane of urbanity as these other places because the key hallmarks of urbanity exist there is overwhelming degree. The major difference is the architecture and physical layout, but if someone can find a way to think beyond that, and actually experience LA as more than a casual visitor, I don't think you come away with any other opinion....it looks different because it is different, but it's no less urban than these other cities...
Truthfully, it's not so much that East Coast cities set the standard for urbanism, but it's older cities that do and that would include SF and Midwestern cities. In the South, that would include the likes of NOLA, Richmond, Charleston, Savannah, San Antonio, etc.

I think it's hard for me to say that architecture and layout aren't key hallmarks of urbanity because for me, buildings pulled right up to the sidewalk (including residential buildings) is one of the premier key hallmarks of urbanity. Sidewalks with lots of curb cuts for cars make a place inherently less walkable and thus, less urban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 12:45 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,655,643 times
Default Boredatwork

Been to LA and to my surprise is as urban as DC in some ways. Theres MORE street traffic and more organically urban. DC townhomes and density make it appear more urban but some ways DC is too sophisticated/ proper and the new transplants add 0 flavor to the scene. Sunset Blvd LA could be like a Rhode island Ave DC. Slauson, Crenshaw and south central however seems over exaggerated and could be somewhere in Pg county. But LA is very urban

Old 06-27-2019, 12:52 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
I think the board is east coast centric but I disagree I think Boston’s proper and the urban cities surrounding it (Everett Malden Lynn Revere. Cambridge Quincy Somerville) are more urban than LA. Boston is the semester major city after NYC and SF and three cities that border it re denser than Boston, approaching 20ppsm.. but I could see the argument otherwise. A lot of what people think are large single family homes in Boston are 2/3 family section 8apartments DC is pretty damn urban but it drops off kinda quick immediately outside it’s borders although some parts within 2-4 miles of DC are pretty urban.

LA can feel more urban than it is due to lack of tree cover..but it’s definitely urban

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 06-27-2019 at 01:02 PM..

Old 06-27-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Been to LA and to my surprise is as urban as DC in some ways. Theres MORE street traffic and more organically urban. DC townhomes and density make it appear more urban but some ways DC is too sophisticated/ proper and the new transplants add 0 flavor to the scene. Sunset Blvd LA could be like a Rhode island Ave DC. Slauson, Crenshaw and south central however seems over exaggerated and could be somewhere in Pg county. But LA is very urban
The latter has absolutely nothing to do with urbanity.

Old 06-27-2019, 02:00 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
The black community of NY/NJ seems less assimilating then those in different parts of the country. Going to school in NY it was airy... there was a very thick racial tension. Really both sides take blame. But, that was a huge shcoker specially living in Florida and Massachusetts where everyone talks to everyone.

Old 06-27-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
The black community of NY/NJ seems less assimilating then those in different parts of the country. Going to school in NY it was airy... there was a very thick racial tension. Really both sides take blame. But, that was a huge shcoker specially living in Florida and Massachusetts where everyone talks to everyone.
Maybe that's why the Black community there has been such a heavy contributor to the Black American cultural experience.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Everyone talk to everyone in Massachusetts?? Where in Massachusetts were you? I had a friend from Mount Vernon who said the black and white people in MA were sooooooo different. At least in NJ I thought people from certain town “talked to” white people a good amount.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:41 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,596,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Everyone talk to everyone in Massachusetts?? Where in Massachusetts were you? I had a friend from Mount Vernon who said the black and white people in MA were sooooooo different. At least in NJ I thought people from certain town “talked to” white people a good amount.
Yeah. My experience in Boston is limited, but I see way more black/white mixing in NYC (even if it's mostly limited to gentrified areas).

Old 06-27-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Yeah. My experience in Boston is limited, but I see way more black/white mixing in NYC (even if it's mostly limited to gentrified areas).
Yea the only racial mixing I see in Boston (which is RARE) after living there for over 20 years was amongst college students and transplants. Mostly just because the newly arrived black people don’t know where to find the blacks/Latinos in Eastern MA.

I have limited experience in these places but I could imagine certain towns or cities with less black people and few to non neighborhoods could be more mixed (Taunton New Bedford Lowell Worcester) but more urban cities or cities with more segregation I never see that (Brockton Boston Springfield Milton Stoughton Chelsea).

Honestly, I’m thinking back to Boston and my last few years in Boston..I honest to goodness haven’t even held a menacing full conversation with a white person in Boston/from Boston since like 2012/2013.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:36 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,596,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea the only racial mixing I see in Boston (which is RARE) after living there for over 20 years was amongst college students and transplants. Mostly just because the newly arrived black people don’t know where to find the blacks/Latinos in Eastern MA.

I have limited experience in these places but I could imagine certain towns or cities with less black people and few to non neighborhoods could be more mixed (Taunton New Bedford Lowell Worcester) but more urban cities or cities with more segregation I never see that (Brockton Boston Springfield Milton Stoughton Chelsea).

Honestly, I’m thinking back to Boston and my last few years in Boston..I honest to goodness haven’t even held a menacing full conversation with a white person in Boston/from Boston since like 2012/2013.
Well in NYC there are plenty of friend circles that are mixed. I hang out in bars a lot where there are mixed crowds, and I befriend strangers all the time of different ethnicities.

I think Boston is unusually segregated for a city of its diversity. A lot of NYC can feel like that too (in the less diverse, heavily black neighborhoods) but there are a lot of areas where intermingling happens (these being the hipster/destination neighborhoods).

I also remember the nightlife in Boston being super white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.