Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 06:55 PM

26,422 posts, read 46,591,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Wisconsin is definitely more forested than the LP, about 90% of Michigan's population lives within 130 miles of the southern border. That leaves a good 160-200 miles of mostly forested area which is pretty substantial. If the perception is that the lower peninsula is mostly prarie it's just not the case.
The Northwoods in MI begins between Houghton Lake and Grayling. Hartwick Pines Forest is a good benchmark that delineates the entrance of the mostly coniferous forest to the north from the more mixed forest a bit to the south. To the east of that area is very backwoods region that is Northwoods in character overall, places like Atlanta within Montmorency County- yes it is quite isolated and I'm sure not many people have been there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 11:59 AM

18 posts, read 28,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It cracks me up that large companies are fleeing "high tax states" where if they were in fact paying their actual fair share of taxes, the tax rate wouldn't be so high for individuals. So instead individuals are streaming into states lacking in that high quality of life to save a few bucks (relatively speaking) in exchange for less infrastructure, lower quality public schools and often less desirable surroundings. I guess that'll show them that you're not paying a higher tax rate!
Yeah, what's wrong with them? Why wouldn't they want to pick up the check for unsustainable entitlements for Mexico's entire underclass? Progressives like us are so much smarter than that!

Old 07-25-2015, 12:13 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,119,937 times
New Mexico. When I drove through there I was shocked at how empty the place was. I saw the occasional abandoned home here and there, and that is it. It was all so desolate and it just seemed like the whole massive state was fading away. Maybe all of those plains states are like that. I am from Florida, a place where at least at face value everything seems thriving and populated with lots of energy. Driving across the plains made me realize how empty a lot of our country is, and from my understanding those parts are only becoming more empty.

I also think those freezing states up north with nothing to do like Maine, New Hampshire, Michigan have a lot to be worried about.

Old 07-25-2015, 01:11 PM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
New Mexico. When I drove through there I was shocked at how empty the place was. I saw the occasional abandoned home here and there, and that is it. It was all so desolate and it just seemed like the whole massive state was fading away. Maybe all of those plains states are like that. I am from Florida, a place where at least at face value everything seems thriving and populated with lots of energy. Driving across the plains made me realize how empty a lot of our country is, and from my understanding those parts are only becoming more empty.

I also think those freezing states up north with nothing to do like Maine, New Hampshire, Michigan have a lot to be worried about.
I wouldn't say that Michigan doesn't have anything to do.....

Old 07-25-2015, 01:26 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,331,782 times
any state where manufacturing was king is probably in bad shape unless they have diversified their economy pretty quickly. I noticed baltimore on this list and I think that is probably correct

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrink..._United_States

Old 07-25-2015, 02:03 PM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
any state where manufacturing was king is probably in bad shape unless they have diversified their economy pretty quickly. I noticed baltimore on this list and I think that is probably correct

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrink..._United_States
The problem I have with that list is that it is essentially older cities that can't annex land/unincorporated areas like those that are generally growing.

Old 07-25-2015, 02:46 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,331,782 times
I also dont think growth is necessarily desirable if it isnt smart growth, sprawl and traffic can ruin the quality of life pretty quickly.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:09 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
The problem I have with that list is that it is essentially older cities that can't annex land/unincorporated areas like those that are generally growing.
That's not really true...MANY cities that can't annex are still growing. And several on that list of shrinking cities that was referenced are now growing, like Boston, Minneapolis, New Orleans, and others. They were historically shrinking cities, as many were, but are no longer that way. Atlanta was shrinking in the past too but turned it around in 1990.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 07-25-2015 at 05:31 PM..

Old 07-25-2015, 05:29 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,547,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yeah, that's not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.