Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 04:25 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,188,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
I love Chicago's urbanity, and I have a crap ton of friends who live there (went to college in Illinois), so those are definite pluses. But you're right about the weather.....that's a huge factor for me haha
Chicago will have the milder summer with less humidity, but colder and snowier summers. St. Louis is typically 5 to 10º warmer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 04:29 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
I actually loved living in Chicago for 4-5 months out of the year. Ill never do that winter again.

Too bad because I really do love the city.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:01 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
No, no, no. There are no jobs there. There are only jobs are in NY, DC and cities with African-American populations of less than 25% like Seattle, Austin, Denver, Minneapolis, San Francisco, DFW, and Houston. Chicago is dying, must die, double plus bad.
whaa?

Old 04-11-2016, 06:19 PM

352 posts, read 550,843 times
Quote:
Detroit is one third deserted. By your logic the drug addict who who hit rock bottom, got clean and move into a boarding house is doing better than the middle-class professional whose 401(k) took a hit.
Nicely done, Gladhands

Old 04-13-2016, 05:33 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
US Census Bureau statistics...these are made up? I shared a link of who has moved, where they have moved to, and I have more links, if you need them. Chicago will be just fine, and is still an Alpha US city.
Except that, as NOLA said, the Census Bureau doesn't track downtown populations. Your own link from 2012 links to the census 2010 numbers that track population "2 miles away from city hall". This is not "downtown" in a lot of cities. Anyway, the numbers you are posting are at least 5 years old.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:59 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Chicago will have the milder summer with less humidity, but colder and snowier summers. St. Louis is typically 5 to 10º warmer.
St. Louis is often more than 10F warmer in the Summer compared to Chicago and can go over 100F far more frequently.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:17 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,176,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I have lived in Phoenix, Denver and Las Vegas and each city has one thing in common and that's the rush of people from Chicago and Illinois who seem to do leaving in droves

I was in Florida and in Sarasota it had many people with Chicago accents in it.

It seems like no matter where I go there is a tsunami of people escaping Chicago for a better life.

It seems as though even in places like Vegas and Phoenix there are more Chicago accents then people from Los Angeles.

Any one else's city also experiencing a influx of people from Chicago moving to there city?
Well if you were living in the living Hell that is Chicago I'm sure you'd get why people are fleeing.

Chicagoans have an accent?!

Old 04-16-2016, 06:12 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Well if you were living in the living Hell that is Chicago I'm sure you'd get why people are fleeing.

Chicagoans have an accent?!
They are probably referring to the Northern Cities Vowel Shift accent, common in the Great Lakes region.

Old 04-17-2016, 01:16 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,886,018 times
Quote:
Detroit is one third deserted. By your logic the drug addict who who hit rock bottom, got clean and move into a boarding house is doing better than the middle-class professional whose 401(k) took a hit.
Chicagoland currently has a higher unemployment rate and a slower job growth rate than Metro Detroit. And the poverty rate in Chicagoland is slightly better than Metro Detroit. Chicago is a great town but that statement you made is quite ridiculous considering the Detroit area has always been middle class (despite the problems with politics in the city).

Old 04-17-2016, 02:33 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Chicagoland currently has a higher unemployment rate and a slower job growth rate than Metro Detroit. And the poverty rate in Chicagoland is slightly better than Metro Detroit. Chicago is a great town but that statement you made is quite ridiculous considering the Detroit area has always been middle class (despite the problems with politics in the city).
Detroit's unemployment rate is lower because so much of his populace is no longer seeking work and not considered part of the workforce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.