Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When I think of Pennsylvania...
I generally have a favorable opinion of the state. 133 54.29%
I generally have an unfavorable opinion of the state. 41 16.73%
I have no strong opinion regarding the state. 71 28.98%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 09:33 AM

100 posts, read 103,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
I've always heard that. Law professors conducted a survey and found that Pennslyvania is the most racist state outside of the south.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...map.html?_r=1&

"Pennsylvania consistently ranks poorly in surveys when whites are asked their views on the intelligence, trustworthiness, and work ethic of blacks, said University of California, Davis professor Christopher Elmendorf, who relied on National Annenberg Election Survey data."

Read more at Study: PA Is As Racist As The South | The Philly Post | News | Philadelphia Magazine

I've never been outside of Philly in terms of PA so I can't really comment on the subject matter and I've always thought of PA to be an accepting state (maybe I just stereotyped it because it's a blue state and it's in the northeast).
Using that kind of language bias shows quite readily that whatever "scientists" were running the experiment went into it with preconceived notions. I like diversity and tolerance, but I hate and reject sloppy science.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:17 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo-Fi View Post
Using that kind of language bias shows quite readily that whatever "scientists" were running the experiment went into it with preconceived notions. I like diversity and tolerance, but I hate and reject sloppy science.
Also note that the graphic depicts a % of each state's non-black population that is more prejudiced than average. The fact of the matter is there is a baseline prejudice across the US (and humanity, for that matter).

Trying to pinpoint the degree of prejudice is essentially hair-splitting and misses the mark entirely.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:54 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
The rural/urban divide, which is where this notion of "backwardness" stems from, is in every single state in the US. Even many urban pockets are not immune to having a "stuck in time" vibe.
Some states have a different urban/rural split, though. In Wisconsin, many of the rural areas tend to lean blue while the the Milwaukee suburbs are deep red.

In Pennsylvania, there are very clear cultural differences that show up in opinion polling. This is a 2009 poll on the question of same-sex marriage (in favor).

Northeast - 53%
Philadelphia - 52%
Southeast - 52%
Southwest - 39%
Allegheny - 34%
Northwest - 31%
Central - 29%

http://www.fandm.edu/uploads/files/8...geanalysis.pdf

It could be argued that "2009 was a long time ago," but public opinion polling in Pennsylvania always reflects this East-West difference no matter when the poll was taken. Attitudes almost always change everywhere, but they change some places faster.

Same difference shows up between East and West on abortion and gun control.

http://www.fandm.edu/politics/electi...nsylvania-2000

Old 08-30-2016, 11:23 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,851,773 times
Native Chicagoland person. Have been to Philly 3 times for work, Pittsburgh for a 3 day weekend with friends, and have also seen some other areas.

I find PA a bit enigmatic. Really, really liked Pittsburgh. We had a blast there for 3 days and I liked the whole vibe very much.

Philly to me is meh. It's a decent city, better than many. But there is no WOW factor at all. It's not a city I'd want to take a vacation to, like Seattle, NYC, Boston, etc. That said, I have zero negative feelings toward it.

Other areas I've been in have been fairly pleasant.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:30 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
Yet you came in this thread with your negativity. This thread is about PA make another thread about NJ if you want people to gloat about it.
... I don't?... I don't want this to be about NJ, another poster started comparing PA to NJ and declaring all things PA "gives" New Jersey and I will obviously respond to that but I was not the one to start that. I think you need to understand context. Perhaps go back and read how this conversation has gone on my end...

The topic of this thread asks about the general view of PA from outsiders. You're going to get all types of responses to that question. If one can't handle that and only wants all positivity, don't read the thread. Most posts have been very positive. I think most can agree on the fact that the state is scenic, which is a very nice compliment itself. Things like "people are racist" or "it's backwards" are very subjective and hard to prove (and frankly are so sweeping and hard to prove that they shouldn't be said) but most would agree on how beauty is defined.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 08-30-2016 at 11:41 AM..

Old 08-30-2016, 11:46 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
... I don't?... I don't want this to be about NJ, another poster started comparing PA to NJ and declaring all things PA "gives" New Jersey and I will obviously respond to that but I was not the one to start that. I think you need to understand context. Perhaps go back and read how this conversation has gone on my end...

The topic of this thread asks about the general view of PA from outsiders. You're going to get all types of responses to that question. If one can't handle that and only wants all positivity, don't read the thread. Most posts have been very positive. I think most can agree on the fact that the state is scenic, which is a very nice compliment itself. Things like "people are racist" or "it's backwards" are very subjective and hard to prove but most would agree on how beauty is defined.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Not a fan. Terrible drivers who overrun the shore in the summer like they own it. Can't STAND Philly.

However a lot of the state is very scenic
Actually JerseyGirl I usually agree with over 90% of the time but not this time. The bolded is the 8th post of the thread and the very first sentence (Not a fan) is surprisingly and unnecessarily negative. That simple sentence started people off.

Your not a fan of Pennsylvania because some Pennsylvanians visit the Jersey Shore? But doesn't New Jersey want Pennsylvanians to visit the Jersey Shore? You bet they do. You know how much money that brings to New Jersey?

Believe me if all Pennsylvanians started being "not a fan" of New Jersey, the politicians in Trenton and the merchants along the Jersey Shore would all be singing the blues.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:47 AM

12,839 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Pittsburgh, Philly, Hershey and then Alabama.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:47 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
In conclusion Pennsylvania is good for the New Jersey economy!

Old 08-30-2016, 12:03 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Actually JerseyGirl I usually agree with over 90% of the time but not this time. The bolded is the 8th post of the thread and the very first sentence (Not a fan) is surprisingly and unnecessarily negative. That simple sentence started people off.

Your not a fan of Pennsylvania because some Pennsylvanians visit the Jersey Shore? But doesn't New Jersey want Pennsylvanians to visit the Jersey Shore? You bet they do. You know how much money that brings to New Jersey?

Believe me if all Pennsylvanians started being "not a fan" of New Jersey, the politicians in Trenton and the merchants along the Jersey Shore would all be singing the blues.
No, it's hard to articulate why I generally don't like PA. It's hard for me to say. Philly fans turn me off (as a Mets and Giants fan). I think they can be some of the worst fans in sports. This is not a sentiment only I have and is one repeated pretty much nationwide and at least regionally. I think this contributes to it. I will easily concede however that it is a very beautiful state. It has great history and good things to do. I just don't much care for it or care to use it and what it offers. I guess maybe I don't feel the need to. I never feel the need to visit Philly because New York is closer to me. It's very similar to other Northeastern states in terms of historical significance, things to do, presence of quaint and charming small towns. It's not exceptionally unique and I don't visit other Northeastern states often, either. Outside of where I live I'm in New York the most in the region and that's only because of the city. I guess I personally find no reason to go there. Others do, I don't.

Again though, I really object to the whole "PA helps support NJ sooo much" argument. It really doesn't. Like I said, New York has a much stronger influence on NJ in basically every way, including our own economy. Of course though we have a strong economy ourselves, mainly pharmaceuticals and the sciences. I guess the strongest boost from PA to us as a whole is tourism (beach). The Philly area of Southern NJ is small compared to North Jersey and less significant to the state as a whole (this again goes to the north vs south NJ argument). I guess part of the issue I have is when I see so many people from PA on this website try to tell me how important PA is for NJ (which I see a lot), when I don't see it that way at all given where I live and the overall increased power of northern NJ over southern NJ. I was also once told by a PA person on here to "stay out of our beaches." As in, south Jersey beaches. That kind of stuff turns me off. In no way do randoms on CD define all of PA but it's not difficult to dislike conduct from certain people when you see it and disagree.

Like any local or regional rivalry the NJ and PA one comes up a lot, like the NJ and NY one and so forth. Given the general insignificance of South Jersey compared to the North's pull (harsh but factually true) I don't see PA as very relevant at all in my life personally, and when anyone from there claims they have such a hold on NJ it's just amusing to me.

But excuse me for being the first one to say I generally don't like the place. I guess I'll take the fall for being the first of a few here so far to state some complaints or perceived negatives while also conceding something pretty awesome (beauty). I guess I'm more indifferent than either positive or negative. I wouldn't say I hate Pennsylvania and would never go there or recommend it but I really don't care much for it either way.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:39 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
You are correct. I think I had just looked it up on the 3D Apple maps and noted it being adjacent Frick Park and that stuck out in my mind. It looks like a great neighborhood, like you said, just a bit further out than Shadyside and Squirrel Hill but still definitely in the city. She and her wife are real estate agents and serial renovators and flippers (I have designed the remodels for two of their homes) so I imagine it is a fixer, they know how to quickly determine the viability of a renovation and they drove a hard bargain. I don't know the exact address yet but I did do a quick Realtor.com search and agree that the apparent beautiful home that they acquired, two and a half story brick colonial with some great exterior details that stir my architectural loins per their shared Facebook photo, and certainly couldn't find anything similar for less than $350-400k. (Pittsburgh used to be so cheap- so much for my beautiful early 20th century Shadyside Arts and Crafts for a song haha).

But those gals look like they did it, sold their much smaller house here for over a million and got what would be considered a mini-mansion out here SFH in a great area for next to nothing. They will be putting a couple hundred thousand into it I'm sure. Damn, crazy Californians over improving and upping the real estate values and taxes needlessly haha!

It initially looks a good distance away from downtown- being an urban animal like yourself where we are used to and love being able to get downtown walking from our historic house in a half hour or so here- but I put in an address adjacent Frick Park on Goggle maps to Heinz Field and it showed it as 15 minutes away by car! That seems highly unlikely but then again I am only somewhat familiar with the the city. They may be further east from the park as well.

I can't wait to visit, and can only surmise they may wish to use my architecture designs skills once again- which is fine by me! If only to enjoy exploring another beautiful Pittsburgh neighborhood.

Regent Square is an interesting neighborhood, because only half of it is in thr city of Pittsburgh. The other half is in Wilkinsburg, a low-income, high crime town that just lost its only middle and high schools. You can still find bargains on that side of the neighborhood.

Believe it or not, Regent Square IS only 15 minutes from downtown (in light traffic).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.