Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 12:07 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I think if you found a Southern vibe in southern Ohio, then that applies to West Virginia as well, particularly the southern half of West Virginia.
I didn't say they didn't FEEL southern - I said they AREN'T southern. Because they're not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 12:18 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I didn't say they didn't FEEL southern - I said they AREN'T southern. Because they're not.
I live in southern West Virginia and there is a lot of Southern pride here. In fact my local high school is known for rebel flag controversies as students stand up to some politically correct administrators. WV's statehood was engineered by the Wheeling elite which had business connections to Pittsburgh that they didn't want to lose. During state, the majority in most of WV's counties wanted to remain in Virginia. The southern half of WV is southern in my opinion.

And you see more Confederate flags here than places like Charleston SC or Savannah where there is more opposition from politically correct segments of the population and from SOME blacks who insist its about slavery. We are the most down to earth, real folks down here in WV. Nobody cares about political correctness and nobody is afraid to show our pride.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:12 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
I live in southern West Virginia and there is a lot of Southern pride here. In fact my local high school is known for rebel flag controversies as students stand up to some politically correct administrators. WV's statehood was engineered by the Wheeling elite which had business connections to Pittsburgh that they didn't want to lose. During state, the majority in most of WV's counties wanted to remain in Virginia. The southern half of WV is southern in my opinion.

And you see more Confederate flags here than places like Charleston SC or Savannah where there is more opposition from politically correct segments of the population and from SOME blacks who insist its about slavery. We are the most down to earth, real folks down here in WV. Nobody cares about political correctness and nobody is afraid to show our pride.
OK. You're still not a southern state.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:45 AM

12,841 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Austin is the epitome of Texas pride! Are you for real? I feel like I'm being trolled here. Many there believe they are the best city in America, with the best nightlife, best food, most educated, most fit, most liberal, with the most construction cranes ad nauseum. I've never encountered in real life anyone from Houston bragging about Houston. Half the people in Dallas are from elsewhere. But people in Austin are very damn proud of their precious city. They are infatuated with it. It's like a borderline religious cult. People there are very concerned with what #1 subjective list they appear in. Talking with some of them is like speaking to a Chamber of Commerce rep. How is "Live Music Capital of the World" not arrogant? I'm sorry, but as an outsider not originally from Texas I just don't know where you're coming from.
Nobody in Austin thinks they have the best food although I think they have the largest food truck park. But nobody thinks they can compete with Houston in cuisine. Austin restaurants do get featured a bit on bravo though. And as I've explained to you before "live music capital" is puffery.

Been to Seattle several times. It's a tech driven city though on a much larger scale than Austin. A lot of hipsters, just like Austin. Many Seattle companies have satellite offices in Austin.

Look I get that you and most Texans "are tired of the attention Austin gets," but you gotta take these things in stride. Just because Dallas doesn't get the same attention doesn't mean it's a crap city.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
It's more southern than northern

Old 04-15-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
There are less lower income neighborhoods and barrios in Austin than in Dallas. It's pretty simple. Now that doesn't mean that Dallas lacks affluent neighborhoods, far from it. It pretty much mops the floor with Austin in terms of wealthy neighborhoods. But Austin historically lacked the type of industries to attract large groups of immigrants or other groups that tend to be lower income. It does not have an extensive history of being a major city like Dallas, which underwent several changes economically. So yes, it's possible to be a very fit and very fat city at the same time. Most fitness-oriented people can find a critical mass here. Why would they move down to Austin when there are less fitness clubs, health stores, gyms, etc? Unless you're talking about hiking, which isn't a requirement to live a healthy lifestyle BTW.

Even so -- let's assume Austin is this land of the creative, educated, liberal, and fit and Dallas and Houston are fat, uneducated, unimaginative, and suck. You honestly believe in today's mobile society that UT grads who have moved to either D or H haven't brought their "Austin influences" with them to those cities? They're all comparing notes, btw. Austin wants its own Klyde Warren Park, Dallas is embracing its creative side, and Houston is now leading the discussion on bus reroute design. Austin has jumped on the bottle service train, while every new Dallas establishment must have an outdoor patio.
This article was written tongue and cheek, but your city's own social magazine refers to Austin as edgier, and younger girl. Sure, this article was written to highlight Dallas' strengths, but the differences are noticed by media covering your city.

10 Things You'll Miss About Dallas If You Move to Austin | Dallas Observer

this article is funny though, and doesn't paint Austin in the best light: http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-dail...tional-family/

Most liberal cities in America: http://www.economist.com/blogs/graph.../daily-chart-0 Austin is 14th, Dallas and Houston, not so much

Last edited by Gaylord_Focker; 04-15-2017 at 09:17 AM..

Old 04-15-2017, 10:00 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,891,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
It's more southern than northern
According to the Census Bureau, West VA is a southern state.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cens...r5Kc9h499tSbM:

Old 04-15-2017, 10:35 AM

17,797 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:

I've always felt that West Virginia and Missouri represented the most transitive states in this regard. Both are solidly southern in their southern region and solidly northern in the upper portions of the state. This in turn would make central WV (Charleston) a fascinating study regarding this phenomenon. In Missouri it's the Jeff city, Columbia area that would be a fascinating study.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:49 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
I find it fascinating that you can speak so matter-of-factly about this when WV is essentially like TX--a border state with a mix of regional cultures.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:20 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I've always felt that West Virginia and Missouri represented the most transitive states in this regard. Both are solidly southern in their southern region and solidly northern in the upper portions of the state. This in turn would make central WV (Charleston) a fascinating study regarding this phenomenon. In Missouri it's the Jeff city, Columbia area that would be a fascinating study.
Virginia is like this too. A lot of Virginia including Richmond is definitely Southern and it was the capital of the Confederacy. However Northern Virginia does not feel Southern at all. But its unlike the Northern Panhandle of West Virginia which was never Southern. I believe NOVA used to be Southern but the culture has been transformed by Northern transplants and illegal immigrants.

Miami does stand out in Florida in terms of its language and culture. Even in other parts of South Florida like Fort Lauderdale, Palm Beach, and the Keys the overall dominant culture is American and English-speaking (though the Key are very quirky in a very cool way) but Miami is dominated by a foreign language and culture. Miami does feel like a foreign, Latin American city, more so than Los Angeles. Los Angeles feels like an American city with a large foreign immigrant population, but Miami actually feels like a foreign city that is dominated by a foreign language and culture. I've personally not been to South Texas but I hear its also very different from the rest of Texas, especially the area around Laredo and Brownsville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.