Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 04:36 PM

69 posts, read 35,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVanderbilt View Post
Move to Thailand, your $700 will go far there.
Indeed?

Used to live in the Philippines. People said the same thing there, but it was not true. Way more expensive than America!

Is Thailand really safe, clean, and quiet?

I've seen pictures that seem to suggest the opposite. And aren't they under martial law right now? Suffering coup d'état and police brutality?

Besides, not the US. Did I not specify USA? We are not allowed to have passports, so no way to even get to Thailand. Let alone plane tickets...

Old 04-15-2017, 04:40 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesperateHobo View Post
We are.

We have lived in other countries as well.

Unless you are implying something?
No, nothing at all. I guess I'm just asking how can you afford to move so much. Wouldn't that make it hard in getting yourself established. You may not be able to get everything you want, I guess it's possible. You may have to settle for some or most of the things you are seeking.

Old 04-15-2017, 04:52 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,243 times
Quote:
Mortgages are something rich people use.

$20,000 is an astronomical figure.

What I am looking for is something for poor people, not rich people.

We currently have about $1,000 saved up. The most we have ever had.

It is theoretically possible that we could save up...$5,000? Assuming we can survive this nightmare of Indiana we are in.
Actually, mortgage literally means "pay till death". Rich people buy homes outright.

So, you are looking for a $1k to 5k house, all paid up, for you and 5 kids. Good luck with that.

Last edited by JMT; 04-15-2017 at 08:27 PM..

Old 04-15-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
How about an established intentional community that's been there for 45 years?

The Farm Community • Living in Community Since 1971

Turns out that they are extremely expensive just to rent a room in a non-private shared house.
Not to mention $300 a month, just in community dues.

Not what I expected.

Old 04-15-2017, 05:04 PM

93,355 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
For one, apartments are not what we want.

Unless you know there are apartments where the people are civil and quiet and do not smoke?

Apartments are nightmares!

Even houses can be bad if you have neighbors.

Well, what you call "low-income" is about 100 times what we are paying now, and twice our income.

So that is clearly not going to work.

You should read my original post!
I did and essentially this is a camel trying to get through an eye of a needle.

Old 04-15-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
No, nothing at all. I guess I'm just asking how can you afford to move so much. Wouldn't that make it hard in getting yourself established. You may not be able to get everything you want, I guess it's possible. You may have to settle for some or most of the things you are seeking.
OK.

No, it is hard. And with all our kids, even harder. I am SO tired of moving. And can you imagine the money we would save if we stayed in one place?

But I simply refuse to live in a place were my kids have to breath cigarette and meth lab smoke, with rap music blasting all night, fireworks exploding in our sleep, drug needles on the ground, and so on.

It's just not right. No one should have to live like this.

And, as we are autistic, it is all we can do to put up with the disturbances.

It's just so frustrating that no one respects the law.

We would love the woods. But we have considered the desert. But then no water!

On idea I am thinking about...

Maybe a small lot of land for $5,000 or less cash, with no neighbors, within 30 minutes to a store that sells food, maybe an hour to a real city (20,000 or so?), and maybe a travel trailer that I could get on craigslist on the cheap. Free or $500-$1,000. And then I could just build my own shack, and add on to it, as I get money.

Sounds simple, right? I think it is.

But is that still possible these days? With the population swelling, white flight, black flight, white flight the second wave, refugees and illegals, and so on...

Not to mention the laws and codes. Which no one follows, but if WE break them? We would likely get in trouble! Most places now consider sleeping in a trailer on your own land "illegal camping". Or won't let you build. Oh wait, I think they still let you build if it is your OWN house? Just not on someone else's...

Old 04-15-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I did and essentially this is a camel trying to get through an eye of a needle.
You are really saying it is impossible to be safe in America?

Old 04-15-2017, 05:46 PM

412 posts, read 509,903 times
Quote:
Indeed?

Used to live in the Philippines. People said the same thing there, but it was not true. Way more expensive than America!

Is Thailand really safe, clean, and quiet?

I've seen pictures that seem to suggest the opposite. And aren't they under martial law right now? Suffering coup d'état and police brutality?

Besides, not the US. Did I not specify USA? We are not allowed to have passports, so no way to even get to Thailand. Let alone plane tickets...
Just buy a tent and live in the desert. You can buy a piece of land in Nevada for $1000. Good luck.

Old 04-15-2017, 05:55 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,275,727 times
Quote:
Well, for security purposes, I don't want to say everything online, but do you have any suggestions?

And we are desperate.

"Little shack in the desert" is an option at this point.

We are willing to live unconventional, if we can do so safely.

We are in Indiana now. And this has to be the most apocalyptic state in the US! No laws. Total chaos.
Clean air, no bugs, quiet people....

Shack in the desert....

Sounds like New Mexico to me.

Great climate and most places are cheap (except Santa Fe).

Old 04-15-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augentier View Post
Come to small town Kansas.
Always though Kansas was boring, and worried about tornadoes...

But looking at the data, it does look like a doable place.

No sprawling ghettos in Kansas.

No people moving there at all, I think. lol

Decent homeschool laws.

Could be a possibility.

Thank you again for mentioning it.

Of course, the tornadoes scare me. Are they really prevalent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.