Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2019, 04:39 PM

3,581 posts, read 3,084,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Have you been to SW Florida during our "season"? It starts in October and ends around Easter. The biggest influx of snowbirds starts in January after the holidays up north. There are people everywhere: outdoors, in restaurants, clogging the roads. Us locals can't wait for them to leave so we can get back to some semblance of normalcy.
Your "season" sounds like normalcy up north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 06:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
All I can tell you is that when I visited family this past March in Dayton, OH, we were wearing shorts and working in the garden in Texas, but they still had sleet and snow and piles of dirty snow everywhere. NO BUENO to me. But everyone's different.

Our family in Ohio is always talking about moving to Texas, moving to Texas, moving to Texas and I always say, "Come on down! But come down in August first, because that will give you a whole new idea of what a Texas summer is." But they do get tired of the rain and snow and sleet up there.
I find that surprising but not shocking. I grew up farther north, in the Pittsburgh area. We have pictures of some March Easters with people in shirtsleeves, and one in April with our coats on standing in a dusting of snow. But that was unusual. Pittsburgh's summers, relatively speaking, are mild. Only 7 days >90 degrees, IIRC.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 08-27-2019 at 07:20 PM..

Old 08-27-2019, 06:53 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,472,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
All I can tell you is that when I visited family this past March in Dayton, OH, we were wearing shorts and working in the garden in Texas, but they still had sleet and snow and piles of dirty snow everywhere. NO BUENO to me. But everyone's different.

Our family in Ohio is always talking about moving to Texas, moving to Texas, moving to Texas and I always say, "Come on down! But come down in August first, because that will give you a whole new idea of what a Texas summer is." But they do get tired of the rain and snow and sleet up there.

And I've seen it reach 98 degrees in October in Texas. It goes both ways. March is supposed to be kinda cold anyway. For the record I've seen snow in March in Texas too. It ain't always 66 and sunny either.

Old 08-27-2019, 06:56 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,472,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Have you been to SW Florida during our "season"? It starts in October and ends around Easter. The biggest influx of snowbirds starts in January after the holidays up north. There are people everywhere: outdoors, in restaurants, clogging the roads. Us locals can't wait for them to leave so we can get back to some semblance of normalcy.

Maybe, but they all have one thing in common: old and white. My mom and siblings used to live in Cape Coral... said they were bored to death. I'd be bored to death too. I need youth and diversity lol.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:31 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
And I've seen it reach 98 degrees in October in Texas. It goes both ways. March is supposed to be kinda cold anyway. For the record I've seen snow in March in Texas too. It ain't always 66 and sunny either.
Well, I'm really not talking about exceptions, but averages. Of course there are exceptions when seasons are changing, but typically March around here is shorts and T shirt weather. Planting. Working in the yard. Catching some rays. All that good stuff.

October is typically warmish but not hot and is often chilly at night.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:39 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I only prefer colder climates, the Sunbelt shift and bias is way to strong to stop unfortunately... Then again I don’t mind subzero air temperatures at all, but hate heat and humidity with a torrid sun angle. An ideal summer would have no high temperatures above 80 degrees. Only a select few places in the US meet that criteria, and many of them lack a real winter season. By real winter, I mean consistent snow cover with winter outdoor recreation.
I need long sleeves when it drops below 73.

My husband was the only person that I've ever know who could pretty easily handle both extremes.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:39 PM

12,853 posts, read 9,587,241 times
Quote:
Ive seen 90+ heat index in February down there. Just an incredibly hot state.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:13 PM

6,814 posts, read 4,257,270 times
Quote:
Well said. People act like Oct-April is winter here. It's NOT. We have all 4 proper seasons, just with a colder bias. Somewhere like Nashville or Atlanta is the reverse. Snow in October in my experience is an uncommon event thats quickly forgotten. I highly doubt I'll see a freak Halloween snowstorm in my life, like what happened in '91. Snow in May is even rarer as May is very warm and can be down right hot. I've seen snow fall twice in May and it never stuck. Snow in April does happen but the warm sun makes sure that it quickly melts away. The two Aprils I've lived here, we got a mid month snowstorm, and right after it melted and flowers were blooming. April is SPRING. March is spring too. I've yet too see a March that didn't reach the 40s and both Marches I've lived here, I've seen either lilies or tulip leaves sprout. That wouldn't happen during our true winter months. We're colder than Virginia or Maryland, for sure, but we're not the goddamn Arctic by any means.

Sorry, but 40s is winter weather. When it's 40s I wear a coat. That's winter.

Minneapolis had 3 days with a high under 50 degrees and 10 days with a high under 60 degrees in May this year. Syracuse had 2 days with highs in the 40s and 6 days with highs in the 50s in May 2019. Detroit 2 days with 40s highs and 7 days with 50s high. That number by the way should be 0 in May.

And that's what I mean with the weather breaking...to me it's that time when you can put away sweaters and coats for good for the summer. Here in D.C. I can usually do that in mid April or so, which is still too late for my taste, but in those places you can't do so in good conscience before late May. So really between early October and late May you gotta expect there's a reasonable chance of needing heavy clothing. That leaves June, July, August and September as months without that concern.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:24 PM

12,853 posts, read 9,587,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Sorry, but 40s is winter weather. When it's 40s I wear a coat. That's winter.

Minneapolis had 3 days with a high under 50 degrees and 10 days with a high under 60 degrees in May this year. Syracuse had 2 days with highs in the 40s and 6 days with highs in the 50s in May 2019. Detroit 2 days with 40s highs and 7 days with 50s high. That number by the way should be 0 in May.

And that's what I mean with the weather breaking...to me it's that time when you can put away sweaters and coats for good for the summer. Here in D.C. I can usually do that in mid April or so, which is still too late for my taste, but in those places you can't do so in good conscience before late May. So really between early October and late May you gotta expect there's a reasonable chance of needing heavy clothing. That leaves June, July, August and September as months without that concern.
DC before Thanksgiving is long sleeve tshirt weather. It's the best.

Old 08-28-2019, 05:51 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
All places in the South are not created equal, and neither are places in the North. Some southern cities gain, and some lose. My old home, Houston, had an out-migration of people the last 3 years.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/bus...t-14021444.php
I just had to address this as well. People are moving to the suburbs of Houston, out of Houston city limits, but the Houston metro area is still growing at a very fast pace. In fact, 18 of the top 25 fastest growing cities are in the south, and of those top 25, 4 are in Texas (yes, Houston is one of them, coming in at #14 in the top 25 fastest growing cities in the US in 2018).

Meanwhile, 20 out of the 25 fastest SHRINKING cities in the US in 2018 are outside the south. Most of those are in the midwest or northeast states.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ties/34813515/

Look, I'm not saying any one weather pattern is superior to another - I'm just adding perspective to your comment. I love fall in the northeast and midwest. I love crisp, bright fall days with multicolored leaves blowing in a chilly little breeze, and we have to wait till November for that while some places in the US get that in September. When we visited Maine in September a few years ago, there was frost on the ground in the mornings. Their summer clearance clothes were our winter clothes! (Sweatshirts, hoodies, etc.)

Meanwhile, the high today in NE Texas is supposed to be in the upper 80s, and over the next ten days it should be upper 80s, lower 90s, tons of sunshine - as usual for this time of year. Lows in the low to mid 70s. Personally I like that but I am still looking forward to sweater weather, which is basically from late October through February here.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 08-28-2019 at 06:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.