Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2009, 10:26 PM

185 posts, read 734,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by naomisday View Post
Quantumx,

Yes, I have heard what you are saying about Miami.....that it is nice....and everyone doesn't
speak Spanish to live there...I know it is definitely multi-cultural....I would love to come
and check it out...I have never been to Florida....the alligators scare me though....LOL
Actually, the alligators are way out west in the Everglades where there is also a growing population Burmese pythons, but you won't encounter any of that within the city limits of Miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by naomisday View Post
.....sounds like things are working
out better for you in Miami then Jacksonville.....
I actually moved to Miami by way of California. I've lived in both San Francisco and in Los Angeles where I was trying to get into film. I ran out of money trying to balance being available for casting calls and auditions with making a living. I moved to Miami because my mother had moved here to be with some of the rest my family down here. Ironically, I got my SAG card working on a movie here in Miami.

I don't know if you've heard about it on any of the other threads, but Miami has gone through quite a renaissance over the past few years and it is a completely different city for anyone who hasn't been here recently. We now have what is arguably the third largest skyline in the country behind New York and Chicago. We ended up with a lot of empty condos, but they are filling up fast now at the new discount rates. The city is going through a metamorphosis that I think will make it a good place for somebody like Fairfaxian in the future. I'm happy to be part of the change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 01:32 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,918,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumx View Post
Actually, the alligators are way out west in the Everglades where there is also a growing population Burmese pythons, but you won't encounter any of that within the city limits of Miami

I actually moved to Miami by way of California. I've lived in both San Francisco and in Los Angeles where I was trying to get into film. I ran out of money trying to balance being available for casting calls and auditions with making a living. I moved to Miami because my mother had moved here to be with some of the rest my family down here. Ironically, I got my SAG card working on a movie here in Miami.

I don't know if you've heard about it on any of the other threads, but Miami has gone through quite a renaissance over the past few years and it is a completely different city for anyone who hasn't been here recently. We now have what is arguably the third largest skyline in the country behind New York and Chicago. We ended up with a lot of empty condos, but they are filling up fast now at the new discount rates. The city is going through a metamorphosis that I think will make it a good place for somebody like Fairfaxian in the future. I'm happy to be part of the change.
How long in the future would you project? I could see myself in Miami in my 20s (and maybe early 30s if I'm still single and improve & maintain my physical looks) as I definitely see it as a great city to enjoy myself while at this part of my life. But after my late 20s, I could see the appeal going down, especially if I get "claimed." I have noticed that the Miami skyline has gone through a massive "Manhattanization" skyline change, which I think looks aesthetically awesome. What I would give to live in a condo in Miami Beach.

However, I was given some mixed messages of the current state of the treatment of blacks in Miami (along with the general arrogant and mean attitudes that many people attributed to Miami) that sort of made me cross off that city as a option. But you mentioned the word "metamorphosis," something that I would like you to elaborate on a bit in depth, and how that would appeal to what I am seeking for: affable racial integration, numerous interracial couples without any overt or covert displeasure, lack of stereotypical blacks influencing the city's opinion of all blacks, (and to add a new one in: a lack of neo-liberal yuppies/hipsters who display covert racism towards all blacks, even if they're on the same economic and academic level). That last one's been something I've dealt a lot with from the gentrifying dwellers that have flocked DC as of the past few years.

Old 12-26-2009, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
How long in the future would you project? I could see myself in Miami in my 20s (and maybe early 30s if I'm still single and improve & maintain my physical looks) as I definitely see it as a great city to enjoy myself while at this part of my life. But after my late 20s, I could see the appeal going down, especially if I get "claimed." I have noticed that the Miami skyline has gone through a massive "Manhattanization" skyline change, which I think looks aesthetically awesome. What I would give to live in a condo in Miami Beach.

The "Manhattanization" process was in full force during the middle of this decade and it was crazy, driven by a lot of greedy developers and speculators, which is how we got so overbuilt, but as I said earlier, the vacant units are beginning to fill up at the new discounted prices with a%2

Last edited by quantumx; 12-26-2009 at 04:03 AM..

Old 12-26-2009, 07:43 AM

I actually gave you a far more lengthy reply than what you see above, but it somehow disappeared. Perhaps we should communicate privately from now on.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:02 AM

316 posts, read 655,006 times
Really guy you just need to move somewhere, to a city that you like and don't worry about what others think about you.. No matter where you go in life you are not always going to be accepted by others. Now I know that there are some cities where people to do not really care about the way people dress. Now you dating a white girl or an asian girl is going to something everywhere you go.. people from both races will be ignorant towards that subject but that is something that you have to deal with.. Im black too by the way.. but I don't mean to sound crazy but if you walk around with a white wife or girlfriend thats going to cause problems between both races. You will have blacks looking at you crazy along with whites.. Personally I don't care because you live with who you choose, but I know for sure that some of the older generation will not appreciate it. Now you just go along with your life and be happy with whoever you are with and what way you dress because people are always going to have something to say, because no matter what city you go to in America there will be some racism there.. Another example is my ignorant uncle, one time we were in public and these interracial couples were just staying to themselves and he kept right on staring like a retard.. (Now why let something like that tear your nerves up when you don't have to live with that person). Now personally I don't care what people end up with who, but I bet everyone on CD can point out some nut in their family that has a problem with interracial relationships.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:31 PM

251 posts, read 1,034,702 times
Quantumx,

Sounds like things are really working well for you...I am glad for you....

I will DM you..

Old 12-26-2009, 12:33 PM

251 posts, read 1,034,702 times
cordtwo,

Yes, a person has to accept themselves and do what is best for them..and go on..

Everyone doesn't love/like everybody..that is life......

Old 12-26-2009, 12:34 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,103,971 times
Houston or Atlanta would be best for you

Old 12-26-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordtwo View Post
I bet everyone on CD can point out some nut in their family that has a problem with interracial relationships.
I can't, at least not on my mother's side of the family. We are all pretty open-minded about things there. Seems to be in the genes and I'm grateful for that.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Houston or Atlanta would be best for you
In your opinion of course, because as was stated earlier, nothing is guaranteed. I would recommend the larger coastal U.S. cities over those cities because they tend to have the most diverse and cosmopolitan populations where people are just more used to having a variety of different types of people around them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.