Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2010, 08:25 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Probably a good choice.

However, I am wary of the desires of Blacks who intertain these fantasies of finding racial utopia in Europe/Canada/Australia, etc. It's not hard to be tolerant when the fact is your country is still mostly 90% white, as is the case in Europe. Certainly, if you culturally find yourself more drawn to classical western ideas, then you will find much more acceptance amongst whites and white societies. However, I think it's a ruse to lambast the US in regards to race relations when most of these other industrialised countries don't have enough minorites (yet) to even cuase substansial friction.

If a whole bunch of what Fairfaxian calls "Stereotypical" Blacks where to up and transplant themselves in say, Sweden, I can imagine the "tolerance" for Blacks would decline quite substancially.
Oh there's friction. It's just not directly solely at blacks. There are xenophobes in Europe just like America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 08:25 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
I know exactly what you're talking about, and usually, the ones who take it to an extreme to display and flaunt their "blackness" (usually in a negative and stereotypical way) are the ones who usually diss me for not being "black enough." So as far as being militantly black, that's something I don't even try to give any attention to. I guess this is the reason why I had no problems socially fitting in while I was in predominantly white Pittsburgh and when I go to racially diverse Northern Virginia. So, in essence, any place that treats blacks who don't rub their blackness in the eyes of everyone else as equals would be at least a livable place for me.

However, this doesn't explain the racial animosity I constantly face while I'm in most DC and Maryland neighborhoods - whether black or white - despite being "whitewashed" according to what most other blacks think. Also, given that the DC area is very liberal and boasts itself about its diversity, this is why I'm a bit more anxious when it comes to looking at San Francisco as a place to live.
I think one of the things that America in particular has never really talked about is it's schizophrenic attitude towards the whole idea and concept of "Blackness". I've known AA's who've gone through farm country and have been completely loved and accepted and yet noted often ignorant racial attitudes existing in paralell to said acceptance. The truth as I see it is White Americans don't by and large hate Blacks as individuals, hence why a common retort to racial accusations is "I have Black friends". what I find breeds drama is the concept of "Blackness" in all it's forms, as well as the concept of racial consciousness.

You, as an individual in a mostly white area, more likely than not are seen as non-threatening and hence the rush to acceptance. In a place like DC where racial consciousness and debate has long been a feature of the area, whites may simply see you as part of a group, rather than as an individual. Again, I don't pretend to speak for all people on this issue, just observations.

Also, the "White Liberal Hero" syndrome is in full effect in places like SF and DC.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I think one of the things that America in particular has never really talked about is it's schizophrenic attitude towards the whole idea and concept of "Blackness". I've known AA's who've gone through farm country and have been completely loved and accepted and yet noted often ignorant racial attitudes existing in paralell to said acceptance. The truth as I see it is White Americans don't by and large hate Blacks as individuals, hence why a common retort to racial accusations is "I have Black friends". what I find breeds drama is the concept of "Blackness" in all it's forms, as well as the concept of racial consciousness.

You, as an individual in a mostly white area, more likely than not are seen as non-threatening and hence the rush to acceptance. In a place like DC where racial consciousness and debate has long been a feature of the area, whites may simply see you as part of a group, rather than as an individual. Again, I don't pretend to speak for all people on this issue, just observations.

Also, the "White Liberal Hero" syndrome is in full effect in places like SF and DC.
Interesting response.

I still stick to my argument that the DC area is one of the best areas for the Fairfaxian. I also understand his argument that the commute would suck to Greenbelt. I suggest just moving to a nice suburban area in MD or nice neighborhood in the city.

DC is one of the most polarizing area of the country. There's extreme wealth and there's extreme poverty. One of the best and worst school districts in the country are side by side. Violent crime is rampant in some parts while almost non-existance in others.

I don't think moving is the solution anymore. I say the solution is working to get a better circle of friends. I'm still trying to develop that circle in the DC area but in Georgia I have a strong circle and as I've gotten older there just hasn't been the problem of "acting too white" as there was in my younger days because there are fewer opportunities for such incidents to occur.

I know about the "white liberal hero" they are annoying sometimes. I assume you're talking about well meaning white folks who go out of their way to show how tolerate they are. Those folks always make me feel uncomfortable because suddenly you're not a person anymore you're your race, sexual orientation, disability, etc.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:12 AM

981 posts, read 805,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Interesting ideas but I'm finding fault with the arguments.

As someone has mentioned moving to another country to find racial utopia is just not gonna happen. I think moving to another country would be a great experience but this situation is not a good reason to do so. Also it's hard to move to another country unless you get a job over there first, not the easiest thing without connections. There's thugs and poverty in Europe just like here.

New York def has the thug culture like DC does.

Honestly I'm questioning whether moving ANYWHERE is the solution. At the end of the day running away from a problem doesn't really solve the problem it just gives the problem a new zip code.
Yep! Hence why this thread and its premise is completely absurd and shouldn't even be taken seriously.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:28 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Interesting response.

I still stick to my argument that the DC area is one of the best areas for the Fairfaxian. I also understand his argument that the commute would suck to Greenbelt. I suggest just moving to a nice suburban area in MD or nice neighborhood in the city.

DC is one of the most polarizing area of the country. There's extreme wealth and there's extreme poverty. One of the best and worst school districts in the country are side by side. Violent crime is rampant in some parts while almost non-existance in others.

I don't think moving is the solution anymore. I say the solution is working to get a better circle of friends. I'm still trying to develop that circle in the DC area but in Georgia I have a strong circle and as I've gotten older there just hasn't been the problem of "acting too white" as there was in my younger days because there are fewer opportunities for such incidents to occur.

I know about the "white liberal hero" they are annoying sometimes. I assume you're talking about well meaning white folks who go out of their way to show how tolerate they are. Those folks always make me feel uncomfortable because suddenly you're not a person anymore you're your race, sexual orientation, disability, etc.
Since I'm temporarily stuck in DC for some time (mainly due to the economy), I have been doing some thorough searching, and it seems that overall, DC itself doesn't impress me a bit. And especially with the lack of responses of craigslist roommate/shared inquiries within DC, I don't know what the hell to read out of that one (even though I don't put in my entire name within the E-Mail, so they can't really see my picture/race on Facebook or some other social website, at least not until I meet them personally). To be honest, there are only a few neighborhoods that really tend to cater towards allowing me to live comfortable in my own skin:

As for the places I would initially see as suitable for a young professional to live in the DC area:

-Adams Morgan: The only place so far where I can say I would be seen as at least a neutral factor if I move there. Unlike in most other parts of the District, I actually see racial integration between various racial groups, and - at least for the daytime - they tend to be all fairly young and very professional.

-Dupont Circle, Friendship Heights, Bethesda MD, Arlington VA: Same thing to a lesser extent. Given that it tends to be a bit more homogeneous, which by itself doesn't bother me. It can give off a snooty and exclusive vibe, but hardly as bad as it is in Georgetown

-Georgetown, Logan Circle: Very snooty and can easily mistake it for racism. But to make it easier I'd just rather not deal with either one.

-Alexandria, outer beltway Fairfax & Montgomery: Pretty integrated as well, but definitely tends to cater to the older crowds, either with singes in their 30s (Alexandria) or families and elder people (Fairfax, Montgomery). And their reputation for traffic speak for itself.

now.....

-U Street, Columbia Heights, Capitol Hill: Very polarizing. The whites/Asians are rich. The Latinos/blacks are poor or working class. This causes a lot of the strife between the groups (which is honestly, the fault of both sides). But the problem is I still get caught in the middle of this, being seen as "one of the yuppies" by the poor blacks and seen as "one of the coloreds" by the whites/Asians, and even Hispanics to an extent.

-Gallery Place/Chinatown, Shaw: Same case but to a less extent (thanks to the tourists or lack of development, respectively).

-College Park: I'm an undergrad alumni of the University of Maryland, yet at my time there, I have never seen and personally faced so much racial strife and opposition (from and within). This right there, along with the general "High School - Part 2" vibe it gave off just made me not want to revisit the place in any circumstance. For comparison, I transferred to Maryland from a university in Pittsburgh that was a lot less diverse and localized in demographics, but there was a lot more racial integration with the students, and I was actually to make more friends there in a semester than I did in the 3-and-a-half-years in Maryland. Trust me when I say if I were to have a racially positive and welcoming experience in Maryland, I would've just stayed in College Park with a few friends and it would've been a breeze "commuting" to Greenbelt.

-Petworth, H Street NE, NoMA, M Street SE/SW: Still underdeveloped and transitioning and nothing much out there that interests me in general.

-Silver Spring: The most diverse out of all of the listed places, and fairly integrated. But it's still in Maryland (just other issues that's for another thread).

And as you said, it's the group of people I surround myself with. While I can understand the premise of feeling comfortable about myself and being able to move where I well please, the neighbors are really going to determine who they associate and befriend with. So it's real pathetic that I can find only a few neighborhoods that I can be assured that I won't have too much of a problem find a decent circle to associate myself with.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:18 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
This isn't true. I've caught far more crap from blacks than whites. In fact, I can't ever remember a white person making fun of me or putting me down for my race or "ways."
It happens and don't sit here and act like it doesn't. Whites will joke with you about your "white" ways just as much as blacks. It seems you have built up lots of animosity towards blacks.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:23 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
1) I don't enjoyed being teased by anyone. I don't know where you pulled that one from.

2) The only whites that I have faced ridicule, teasing, and questioning from is - ironically - the flamboyantly liberal ones, specifically from the Northeast, who brag about "diversity" (but that's for another topic)

What I'm saying is that it wouldn't be uncommon if a white person did tease you about your behavior. You have to realize that if you decided to move to Texas or California. Your going to be dealing with more whites and while the jokes and insults will be rather playful; they'll still probably annoy you.

3) Why would you suggest Houston if I'm going to get shafted by both sides? I'm not trying to deal with the same situation as in DC!

It won't be as bad as DC, but you'll still deal with people like that. Any place with a rather large black population is going to give you problems like this.
^^^^

Old 01-04-2010, 01:14 PM

316 posts, read 654,729 times
How about we find a vacant island. Clear off some trees and let this guy have it.. Is anyone for it???

Old 01-04-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Since I'm temporarily stuck in DC for some time (mainly due to the economy), I have been doing some thorough searching, and it seems that overall, DC itself doesn't impress me a bit. And especially with the lack of responses of craigslist roommate/shared inquiries within DC, I don't know what the hell to read out of that one (even though I don't put in my entire name within the E-Mail, so they can't really see my picture/race on Facebook or some other social website, at least not until I meet them personally). To be honest, there are only a few neighborhoods that really tend to cater towards allowing me to live comfortable in my own skin:

As for the places I would initially see as suitable for a young professional to live in the DC area:

-Dupont Circle, Friendship Heights, Bethesda MD, Arlington VA: Same thing to a lesser extent. Given that it tends to be a bit more homogeneous, which by itself doesn't bother me. It can give off a snooty and exclusive vibe, but hardly as bad as it is in Georgetown

-Alexandria, outer beltway Fairfax & Montgomery: Pretty integrated as well, but definitely tends to cater to the older crowds, either with singes in their 30s (Alexandria) or families and elder people (Fairfax, Montgomery). And their reputation for traffic speak for itself.

And as you said, it's the group of people I surround myself with. While I can understand the premise of feeling comfortable about myself and being able to move where I well please, the neighbors are really going to determine who they associate and befriend with. So it's real pathetic that I can find only a few neighborhoods that I can be assured that I won't have too much of a problem find a decent circle to associate myself with.
South Arlington has a more working class vibe so less of the snootiness that places like Clarendon and Ballston are known for. That's where I"m moving to and I'm pleased to be so close to work and close to the fun spots as well.

As far as craigslist is concerned put up an ad in room wanted. Be specific about which neighborhoods you'll consider and what you are willing to pay. That's how I got my current spot I didn't find my landlord my landlord found me.

I like the suburbs. I guess coming from a much smaller town I'm used to living amongst families. There's no young folks neighborhood or old folks neighborhood. So being around lots of families doesn't bother me because I know that amongst those families are other singles.

I don't know when I look at the geography of my friends almost none of them have lived near me. If I limited my social life to strictly Oakton then I'd be a pretty lonely person. So I wouldn't worry about whether your neighbors want to be your friend. I"d be more concerned about overall quality of life.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
It happens and don't sit here and act like it doesn't. Whites will joke with you about your "white" ways just as much as blacks. It seems you have built up lots of animosity towards blacks.
That simply doesn't happen to me with white folks. Never had a white person joke like that. Maybe this is just unique to Houston.

I still say that Northern VA has none of the "you act so white" problems that DC or Maryland have.

Now I know I just said that moving is NOT the solution. And at the end of the day there are bigger and more pressing concerns.

However, I will say that I think it is a bigger problem for young people. I was listening to NPR and they were talking about how at one high school in SE DC they didn't announce national honor society programs because the kids won't show up. Getting good grades and being a potential success is not something to be ashamed of. Although it is a little easier on girls than boys. The idea that acting ignorant and making poor grades is the only way to be black has got to stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.