Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2010, 11:19 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,972,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
No but that's how I interpretted it. I mean you said that if he knew about black culture he'd know about fubu not being popular anymore. Honestly I'm black and I know I didn't know anything about Fubu. I don't wear that stuff so why would the guy that just said that he does American Eagle and Hollister mostly know about that stuff? It goes back to my point about there being a set of rules to be black. By being black one is required to know that Fubu is played out. And like I said I just don't like the look. So I'll gladly admit my own bias.
As I said, he doesn't have to know about that stuff. Why should he? My thing is if he doesn't know about it then he should shut up about it. I don't try to criticize anything I know nothing about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 11:19 AM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Glad someone knows where I'm coming from. I'd rep you, but I've got to spread some more around first. And the church I'm attending now is COGIC.

That's good info. And not that you misunderstood me, but for the record, I have no problem with Black folks who are into things that are non-stereotypically Black like lacrosse, polo (a sport I would learn to love to play), alternative music, etc. But the point I was making is that those things don't take the place of the other things I mentioned. The stereotypically Black stuff isn't totally thrown out in favor of the non-stereotypically Black stuff, but they exist side by side for those in my web of friends/associates for whom that is the case.
I knew exactly what you meant and agree. It's not about one or the other when you can do and relate to it all.
There's even a term for it and it is called "code switching". People of all backgrounds do it all of the time and don't realize it.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
What a surprise. The preppy whites tend to be amongst the most racist whites I've dealt with. Even worse than the "self-proclaimed rednecks."

And as for blacks who have found like minded peers who are successful and partake in culturally black activities, I'm glad for all of you. But let me state that I personally didn't grow up in the black community that embraced impartial unity and empowered everyone to do something great with their lives. It was the complete opposite. I didn't see much of the pre-Civil Rights uplifting and praise of blacks who wanted to do the right thing. It was the complete mental, social, and sometimes physical beatdown of blacks who wanted to do good things in their lives. And for where I lived, the praise was reserved for the gangstas, hustlers, and thugs. I realize that there was an era where camaraderie in the black community was there. Too bad that in the era (and city) where I live in, it isn't as abundant anymore.

This was one of the main reasons why I made this thread.
Umm, I'm only 33 and I still see a wide range of praise of Black kids doing good in school and the kids that are in the streets in my area. Many times, some of these kids will be in the same schools too. I think people need to stop getting caught up into these stereotypes of Black people, including Black folks themselves. A part of the problem is that we don't do the research or we just go by what we are told, which in many times is hearsay or only a part of the story.

Here's a recent story about a mostly Black charter HS in my area: Syracuse Academy of Science basketball team finally learns how to win - Syracuse.com

I understand that not everyone grew up in a similar way in the Black community, but I think that we also sometimes get caught up too much into our own stereotypes, even if we don't partake in them. When I found out that 89% of Black folks have a HS diploma or equivalent, when I found out that about 4 times as many Black males between the ages of 18-24 actualy go to college versus jail(not counting those in the military), when I found out that only 8.4% of Black married men are married outside of their race(not that it matters), that only 6% of Black men are in jail and many many more things that you won't hear on TV or radio, it killed a lot of the stereotypes about black males in general.

Here's some good things to check out for those that just don't know: African American Population Demographics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21dP7W6nimM

This doesn't mean that there isn't work to be done, but I think we need to put things into proper perspective too.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:42 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,874,493 times
Quote:
American Eagle and Hollister are my favorite stores for casual stuff. But there is an implication that those are "white" stores and therefore I shouldn't be shopping there. I understand that you didn't specifically tell me not to shop there, so don't get defensive but there is this unofficial rule book that says black can't shop there.
I know this is one of the lighter issues, but AE and Hollister really aren't seen as "white stores" anymore, at least from my perspective. That's where the trendy yuppies and buppies shop.

Quote:
As long as you're not showing up to a job interview in Roca wear (see how current I am?) then I say live and let live.
No, but some of the stuff from Rocawear (http://www.rocawear.com/nshop/product.php?view=listing&groupName=NewArrivalsMens &dept=men&both=yes - broken link) has an AE/Hollister flair to it. The trend now is "urban preppy" and you could rock Rocawear and still be true to your own personal style.

I don't normally say this, but y'all should watch some 106 & Park sometime, LOL.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:07 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,918,564 times
Quote:
To be honest the OPs experience with the DC area regarding racial acceptance is so opposite from mine. I can't think of better city for someone like himself this is one of the most educated parts of America, PG county has one of the highest if not THE highest concentration of black wealth in the country, and I've never seen so many interracial relationships. There are a lot of reasons to want to leave the DC area traffic, high cost of living, and just try to find parking on U street on a Friday night. But honestly black folks making fun of me seems well...small. I mean don't hang out with those people. Find new people or move to VA or Montgomery county. To me its a simple problem that can solve itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
I've only been to DC once, but I agree. From what I have heard, it does seem like one of the better areas for non-stereotypical blacks. I could never live there, because I don't like the south and big cities aren't my thing, but it does seem like one of the more progressive areas.
The DC area overall isn't that bad when it comes to race relations. From my experience, there are places that are very progressive, and there are areas that are racial powder-kegs (either due to black separatists or white hypocritical liberal gentrifying racists). That's what - I guess - evens it out. It's just for most of the neighborhoods where most people in my age range are (18-24 year olds), they consist of either one of the two racially dividing groups. There are very progressive places, but most of them are out in the suburbs like Montgomery County or Northern Virginia where there are mostly teenagers under 18 or adults who are already married or older.

Quote:
On the other hand I think it does go to a deeper issue: that being black has to have all these definitions and rules. Being any other race in America surely doesn't have any such stipulations. How many jokes do comedians make about what black people do and do not do? And as others have mentioned immigrants from other countries are expected to assimiliate and are still able to hold onto their cultural idenity. It does seem that with being black you have to conform you can't just be.
Quote:
I totally agree. When do you hear about Mexicans being bashed for not being Mexican enough, or Asians being bashed for not being Asian enough? Why does being black have to come with all of the excess baggage? Why do you have to conform to a specific way of life to be accepted? Also, another thing that bothers me is that from my experience, many blacks insist that if you are mixed with black, you should consider yourself exclusively black. Those who don't are ostracized. For example, take Tiger Woods, who is exactly 1/4 Black, 1/4 White, 1/4 Asian, and 1/4 Native American. He considers himself a "Cablinasian," yet he was blasted by many blacks for not identifying as black. Also, I've noticed this from my own experience. I am a multiracial American, mixed with black. Yes, I am Black, but I am also White and Native American. All three are important parts of my heritage. However, society pressures me to deny the White and Native parts of me, and accept only the African-American part.

I fully agree. Why should I be bogged down with rules based on my skin color?
This is the major issue I constantly have to deal with while in Prince Georges County, which is the reason why I scoff when someone says that's [all of] it is one of the "best places for successful blacks." You may have some water to stand on if you were just talking about places outside the beltway like Woodmore, Upper Marlboro, and Bowie. And even in that case, the younger generation embraces the modern day black culture (positive and negative aspects) to the extent that a person who doesn't necessarily connect with those things might be just a bit out of place.

But as far as I'm concerned, inner beltway PG County is a lot more WORSE than east-of-the-Anacostia NE and SE DC. Here, it's just modern-day social totalitarianism and the rulers consist of wannabe thugs who act like they run the streets of DC, black separatists leaders like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, and the latest popular rapper (which at this time is Lil Wayne). Since they don't live in DC, these kids and need to go overboard in posing like they're "hard" by threatening and jumping one person while with several of their cronies. Every other person poses as if he's friggin Lil Wayne in every little way (no pun intended) and most of the teen broads think of crap like this as "cute" and "manly." And the adults, for the most part, come off as some of the most bitter and envious people I've ever came across. This is compared to even the worst streets of Southeast DC, where the kids and teens know that they don't have to prove anything to anyone, and the adults are dealing with enough traumatic issues as is.

I know moving out of inner-beltway PG is the optimal solution, but being stuck in the DC area for at least another year or so, where to go to is the question?

Last edited by Do a Barrel Roll; 01-05-2010 at 07:55 PM..

Old 01-05-2010, 07:14 PM

^Interestingly, your description of inner PG County is pretty similar to what I hear from people I know who live in the region. I was told that the running joke is that "PG" stands for "pretty ghetto."

Old 01-05-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
^Interestingly, your description of inner PG County is pretty similar to what I hear from people I know who live in the region. I was told that the running joke is that "PG" stands for "pretty ghetto."
Well, since SE and NE DC are getting gentrified, what do you think happens with the people that lived in those parts of DC? They moved out to PG County and like it has been mentioned, inside of the Beltway is different than outside of the Beltway. With that said, Montgomery County tends to have a different vibe. As does Charles County.

Also, what about NW DC? I know Wilson High is still pretty mixed and seems to have a variety of neighborhoods. Benjamin Banneker near Howard University is still a very good high school too.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:33 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,418,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
I know moving out of inner-beltway PG is the optimal solution, but being stuck in the DC area for at least another year or so, where to go to is the question?
Two words: West Virginia.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Well, since SE and NE DC are getting gentrified, what do you think happens with the people that lived in those parts of DC? They moved out to PG County and like it has been mentioned, inside of the Beltway is different than outside of the Beltway.
I wonder if gentrification is totally to blame though. Author Sheryll Cashin, in her book The Failures of Integration, details much of how PG County came to be as it is in the chapter entitled, "The Dilemma of the Black Middle Class." Specifically she states, "When migrating blacks reach a critical mass, whites flee, and demand in the local housing market falls, causing poorer blacks to move in behind middle-class blacks." I'm not sure, but I think this started happening in PG County before gentrification really started taking hold like it has in SE and NE DC.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:22 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Wow, I can imagine how you must have felt growing up in the deep south. I lived in the Atlanta area for a while as a kid (Gwinnett County), and I know what you mean.

Canada is a very colorblind society, and it's definitely something I admire about the country. Living in Michigan, I come into contact with a lot of Canadians, and they all say it is much less racial than here.
I think Gwinnett County is a bit better than Paulding County. I was out in the exurbs, Alabama is two counties away. To say the least I never want to live there again.

I wouldn't go as far as to say Canada was a "colorblind" society, but I would say with the experiences I have had with some Canadians, Canada seems to have a more progressive attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.