Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2010, 05:52 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
What a surprise. The preppy whites tend to be amongst the most racist whites I've dealt with. Even worse than the "self-proclaimed rednecks."

And as for blacks who have found like minded peers who are successful and partake in culturally black activities, I'm glad for all of you. But let me state that I personally didn't grow up in the black community that embraced impartial unity and empowered everyone to do something great with their lives. It was the complete opposite. I didn't see much of the pre-Civil Rights uplifting and praise of blacks who wanted to do the right thing. It was the complete mental, social, and sometimes physical beatdown of blacks who wanted to do good things in their lives. And for where I lived, the praise was reserved for the gangstas, hustlers, and thugs. I realize that there was an era where camaraderie in the black community was there. Too bad that in the era (and city) where I live in, it isn't as abundant anymore.

This was one of the main reasons why I made this thread.
Sadly, I don't think that what you described exists anymore, anywhere. Black culture, at least among the younger generation, has been totally hijacked by the hip-hop, thug, gangster, criminal, "baby daddy," ghetto cancer that is slowly destroying people across this nation. It doesn't matter where you move (unless it's outside the U.S.), wherever you go, you will find blacks that embrace this travesty. Sad, but true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 06:06 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,874,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
So basically, you're saying that if you are black and self-segregate yourself, you're "acting black," but if you attempt to integrate into mainstream American society, you're "acting white."
I can already detect in this statement a castigation of Blacks of who partake of things culturally Black (which is only natural) and a praise of Blacks who abandon anything deemed culturally Black. This is one of the negative effects of all of this inflated emphasis on multiculturalism and diversity today that I absolutely detest, but that's another subject altogether.

Quote:
I didn't grow up with African-American culture, so I don't possess it. My culture is mainstream American. Still, I'm accused of "acting white."
You shouldn't be surprised by that, nor do I see how/why that would/should bother you.

Quote:
Of course, I'm NOT 100% black, so my experience is probably very different from someone who is entirely black.
Bingo. That pretty much explains everything you just stated.

Last edited by Akhenaton06; 01-04-2010 at 06:29 PM..

Old 01-04-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
And as for blacks who have found like minded peers who are successful and partake in culturally black activities, I'm glad for all of you. But let me state that I personally didn't grow up in the black community that embraced impartial unity and empowered everyone to do something great with their lives. It was the complete opposite. I didn't see much of the pre-Civil Rights uplifting and praise of blacks who wanted to do the right thing. It was the complete mental, social, and sometimes physical beatdown of blacks who wanted to do good things in their lives. And for where I lived, the praise was reserved for the gangstas, hustlers, and thugs. I realize that there was an era where camaraderie in the black community was there. Too bad that in the era (and city) where I live in, it isn't as abundant anymore.
When you say "pre-Civil Rights" and reference that era, I'm not sure if you're referring to that actual time period or the attitude associated with it, but just to let you know, I'm only 30 years old.

If you attended college at all, you should have been able to find Blacks who embraced the positive side of life--unless you just consciously rejected all things culturally Black, regardless of value.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Black culture, at least among the younger generation, has been totally hijacked by the hip-hop, thug, gangster, criminal, "baby daddy," ghetto cancer that is slowly destroying people across this nation.
This is patently false. While that attitude is much too pervasive among some Blacks, to broadbrush all Blacks, or even all younger Blacks, like this is just plain ol' wrong. But maybe because you're more of an outsider looking in (at least that's what I ascertained from what you've previously stated about yourself), you don't personally know any Black youth who might actually enjoy hip hop, but are responsible, smart, making good grades, etc. I know them. They are my younger cousins, my mentees, young people at my church, etc. They exist and are not the extinct species you are making them out to be.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:31 PM

316 posts, read 655,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
When you say "pre-Civil Rights" and reference that era, I'm not sure if you're referring to that actual time period or the attitude associated with it, but just to let you know, I'm only 30 years old.

If you attended college at all, you should have been able to find Blacks who embraced the positive side of life--unless you just consciously rejected all things culturally Black, regardless of value.
I'm a 20 year old black college student and I'm able to find black friends who are goal oriented. They are cool, they don't dress like thugs, neither do I. You can find some black friends at college with no problem at all.. If you go to college you don't see many thugs anyway. Literally how many thugs go to college. So I feel where you are coming from. I have friends from all races at school because I opened up and accept their ways, or way of life. and for the OP to say that all blacks are teasing him I don't bye that. Yes people will talk behind your back, but how many at college age really make fun of you in your face. I find that hard to believe. We are basically grown ups now, and people are not going to tease you in public like they would in middle school on the playground or in front of the bus stop. Hell I wear a belt with my clothes and keep my pants pulled up, and no one since I started college has said a thing about it. Now if they say something behind my back, screw them then. OP I'm trying to give you all kind of confidence bro, because when I was in school a lot of Black people did not want to hang with me because they said I was lame. Some of the girls I like, did not want to be with me because I was not cool, or hardcore. But when I look back, I thank God for that because some of the girls ended pregnant. Now did I really need her in the first place no. But I get up everyday, keep my head up, and keep stepping, I can't worry about what people say. For the longest in high school I wore levis and nautica jeans. I still do today. I look back at the people in school and the ones that were teasing are sitting back getting nothing accomplished. But I know going to college you will find more like yourself! My pastor tell us all the time that he was not accepted in school, but when he got to college he got with some more black students and they push their way through. Same for me I have two black male friends and we all can call each other if we need help, and that's how we roll. I know DC is a big city and there are some guys up their like my boys....

Old 01-04-2010, 06:49 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,971,739 times
Quote:
Sadly, I don't think that what you described exists anymore, anywhere. Black culture, at least among the younger generation, has been totally hijacked by the hip-hop, thug, gangster, criminal, "baby daddy," ghetto cancer that is slowly destroying people across this nation. It doesn't matter where you move (unless it's outside the U.S.), wherever you go, you will find blacks that embrace this travesty. Sad, but true.
You just said that you knew very little of black culture yet you are so sure what black culture is being "hijacked" by. So which is it, because nothing I hate more is when someone tries to talk about something they know nothing about, espescially when it comes to black culture.

And why is Hip-Hop by itself a negative thing? I love Neo-Soul and Hip-Hop but I have a GPA higher than 3.0 at the University of Texas. I have no particular desire to date anything but black women. I don't really care for "white music" all that much outside of a few select artists (The Beatles for example). Why is it a black can only be accepted if they reject all forms of culture deemed as black?

Old 01-04-2010, 07:05 PM

I attend a Christian church and people can tell by my ways / manners. You would be surprised of the amount of people that did not want to hang with me because of my ways. I was never down with the drinking and smoking and things that can put you on a bad track. Not to say it will for everyone, but I prefer not starting. I know for a fact even in high school and college certain white students did not want to hang with me. Mainly I could not hang with them because I was not up to those kind of things. It was the same way with some of the blacks and whites. What I am saying is basically people are not always going to be on your level. I know in the past and even today that blacks and whites talk about me. When people realized that you are not like them, they talk about you. Now if you think blacks are the only people teasing and talking behind your back you are WRONG. My intership supervisor who is white recently had a meeting with his daughter's teacher because white students of the same age were teasing her on a daily basis. You know why, because she was succeeding and making all A's. Now if you are accomplishing something, people are going to be envious and they are going to talk. I remember that many black kids along with many whites did not want me in a group with them. So to be hateful towards blacks along would be wrong. And surely you know that some white people have teased you before. So please don't put our race down like that. I remember playing baseball as a young boy and at that time I was the only black on the team. I remember fighting this boy because he put some mucus on the back of my jersey after the game. I turned around and all the other players were laughing. But anyways I judge everyone by there character and I do not hold that against any race, but after that experience I would never move anywhere where the city is not diverse.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:06 PM

160 posts, read 499,058 times
Quote:
I realize that I'm new in this forum, but I really wanted to find out about something that I have been dealing with for nearly all of my life. Just to address it, yes, I am black, but many of my characteristics (The way I talk, the music I listen to, the clothes I wear, etc.) are usually deemed as white. However, the people (blacks, whites, and every other race) of where I live and attend college (DC Suburban Maryland) has shown for the most part disdain for the way I carry myself. The blacks here usually see me as a "betrayer;" and as for many whites, Asians, and Eastern Indians, I'm usually just ostracized because of me being black. Also, I really have a real attraction for girls outside my race (white, Asian, etc.), but apparently, black girls are the ones who are able to date outside their race easier. I just wanted to know what cities, or areas within a city, would be best for a black person who doesn't resemble the stereotypical "black man" would live after graduating from college (racial acceptance; interracial dating, marriage, and families, etc.)? I’ve heard most of the West Coast is a good environment, but what specific areas anywhere would do well for a person of my classification?
Seattle, WA
Portland, OR
San Francisco, CA
San Jose, CA.

Oh and don't worry, I'm Italian-American but I speak Spanish very well, love Latina women, love Hispanic culture, but I also have a love for country music, redneck lifestyle and conservative politics. In addition I love soul food, rap and African-American people and urban areas.

I'm as close as you can gets to being 25% Italian-American, 25% Hispanic, 25% Redneck and 25% African-American

Old 01-04-2010, 08:17 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
You just said that you knew very little of black culture yet you are so sure what black culture is being "hijacked" by. So which is it, because nothing I hate more is when someone tries to talk about something they know nothing about, espescially when it comes to black culture.
When did I say I knew very little of black culture? I said it was not MY culture, not that I knew nothing of it. I have relatives on my dad's side who are culturally black. My grandmother, aunts, uncles, and even my dad (to an extent) are culturally black. In the past, I have also had friends who were culturally black.

Quote:
And why is Hip-Hop by itself a negative thing?
Hip-hop, specifically mainstream hip-hop, is a negative thing because of its subject matter. Now, I know there are underground rappers and Christian rappers that talk about positive things, but the vast majority of rap deals with negative subjects. The main things discussed and glorified by (mainstream) rappers are violence, drugs, sex, disrespect for women (often with derogatory names I can't post here), money, material possessions, "baby mamas," etc. Rappers also use improper English (ebonics) and use the "N" word liberally, which is something that has NO place in today's world. The content of mainstream hip-hop is demeaning to all people, but especially African-Americans, where it fulfills the racist and negative stereotypes foisted upon them for centuries. Hip-hop is basically a modern-day minstrel show.

Quote:
I love Neo-Soul and Hip-Hop but I have a GPA higher than 3.0 at the University of Texas. I have no particular desire to date anything but black women. I don't really care for "white music" all that much outside of a few select artists (The Beatles for example).
That's OK. I never said people who listen to rap are ghetto thugs or bad, but only that the music itself (and those who produce it) is. There is a difference.

Edit: If someone begins to dress in a ghetto, hip-hop way, speak ebonics, use the "N" word, treat women disrespectfully, have children out of wedlock, etc., then yes, I view that as a very negative thing. Really, it's that hip-hop lifestyle that sickens me, not just the music.

Quote:
Why is it a black can only be accepted if they reject all forms of culture deemed as black?
I never said that blacks had to reject all forms of black culture. What I did say is that I believe black people should broaden their horizons and make an effort to assimilate into mainstream American culture. Immigrants, and children of immigrants assimilate into American culture while retaining some aspects of their ancestral culture. Blacks can do the same.

Last edited by northstar22; 01-04-2010 at 08:27 PM..

Old 01-04-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:

I never said that blacks had to reject all forms of black culture. What I did say is that I believe black people should broaden their horizons and make an effort to assimilate into mainstream American culture. Immigrants, and children of immigrants assimilate into American culture while retaining some aspects of their ancestral culture. Blacks can do the same.
Blacks are doing that everyday. You now have a black president, you have many CEOS, Business Leaders, project managers, and financial managers for major financing and banking companies. You really are talking one-sided. Now we have ignorant blacks in the ghetto that don't want to accept American culture, but what about the whites who live in trailers and don't want to face the world. What about the Hispanics who are not trying to learn English. That's not fitting into the American culture either. You are trying to put blacks down when really every race fails in certain a criteria. You are making it seem as if blacks are failing at everything. No man is perfect and it does not matter what color he is. If you go to Barnes and Noble or any other book stores you can find many great books on successful black men and women. You are mainly talking about the people in ghetto areas. That is not fair, if you are going to talk about the good things white people do, then you better throw some good black people in that list too. Like you trying to move to the ghetto.

Last edited by cordtwo; 01-04-2010 at 09:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.