Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2010, 07:43 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times

Advertisements

Canada's a good suggestion. Canadian blacks (except immigrants from the Caribbean) are culturally identical to Canadian whites, and there is much less of a racial divide up there. Race is no where near as big of a deal as it is in the states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 07:53 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Canada's a good suggestion. Canadian blacks (except immigrants from the Caribbean) are culturally identical to Canadian whites, and there is much less of a racial divide up there. Race is no where near as big of a deal as it is in the states.
I have a friend from Canada who is Black. She likes Canada better than she does the USA. In fact she seemed to be proud to be a Canadian. In my teen years I lived in Paulding County,GA. It is about 30 miles west of Atlanta, but it feels like a whole other world. I had to deal with the racial tensions in my high school and I thought about moving to Canada when I was 15 or 16. As a "non-stereotypical" Black person, I didn't fit in there, so I thought about leaving for Canada sometimes.
One of my co-workers was West Indian. She mentioned her own desire to move to Canada.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:58 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I have a friend from Canada who is Black. She likes Canada better than she does the USA. In fact she seemed to be proud to be a Canadian. In my teen years I lived in Paulding County,GA. It is about 30 miles west of Atlanta, but it feels like a whole other world. I had to deal with the racial tensions in my high school and I thought about moving to Canada when I was 15 or 16. As a "non-stereotypical" Black person, I didn't fit in there, so I thought about leaving for Canada sometimes.
One of my co-workers was West Indian. She mentioned her own desire to move to Canada.
Wow, I can imagine how you must have felt growing up in the deep south. I lived in the Atlanta area for a while as a kid (Gwinnett County), and I know what you mean.

Canada is a very colorblind society, and it's definitely something I admire about the country. Living in Michigan, I come into contact with a lot of Canadians, and they all say it is much less racial than here.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:13 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,918,564 times
Canada does sound like a true alternative. The problem is finding jobs up there for American transplants/expatriates. Alongside that, the fact that's it a lot colder doesn't appeal to me (unless it snows a lot more to compensate for it). And there are some things that are culturally American (mainly the sports, food, and women from certain regions) that I won't be able to fully embrace in Canada.

But overall, I do admire Canada's race relations and it's westernized culture overall without the American baggage of racism, arrogance, self-righteousness, all-about-me-attitude, and the trashy pop culture it tries to sell to the rest of the world. if Canada had Australia like weather, it would be lovely to move to and I would be more encouraged to move to Canada. And if it was easier to get a job there, I would do extensive research on relocating. It's amazing how globalization can ship off jobs around the world, but won't (or are reluctant to) send the Americans who can do those jobs and are willing to travel to those places.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:59 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Canada does sound like a true alternative. The problem is finding jobs up there for American transplants/expatriates. Alongside that, the fact that's it a lot colder doesn't appeal to me (unless it snows a lot more to compensate for it). And there are some things that are culturally American (mainly the sports, food, and women from certain regions) that I won't be able to fully embrace in Canada.

But overall, I do admire Canada's race relations and it's westernized culture overall without the American baggage of racism, arrogance, self-righteousness, all-about-me-attitude, and the trashy pop culture it tries to sell to the rest of the world. if Canada had Australia like weather, it would be lovely to move to and I would be more encouraged to move to Canada. And if it was easier to get a job there, I would do extensive research on relocating. It's amazing how globalization can ship off jobs around the world, but won't (or are reluctant to) send the Americans who can do those jobs and are willing to travel to those places.
The closest I could suggest is Vancouver,BC. Milder winters than any other part of Canada(albeit rainier and foggier). If you like more snow, Montreal or Toronto might work for you.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:49 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,971,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Canada's a good suggestion. Canadian blacks (except immigrants from the Caribbean) are culturally identical to Canadian whites
I don't see why some people on this thread see cultural differences between whites and blacks as a bad thing. I don't think that alone is bad as long as the two sides can get along. Personally I prefer the distinct African-American culture the United States has compared to the homogeneous culture of some of the european countries and Canada. It gives the country as a whole more flavor in my opinion. I'm not knocking that lifestyle to those who prefer it. I'm just saying cultural differences aren't necessarily a bad thing in my opinion. Espescially since African-American culture as we know it is slowly but surely going to be a thing of the past if we're not careful.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:07 PM

251 posts, read 1,034,702 times
The Fairfaxian,

Perhaps it is living in DC period...DC has a rep for being a big clique...I never spent much
time there so I am not sure.

I hope you find what you are looking for...as you get older what other people think of you matters
SO MUCH LESS....

Old 01-04-2010, 04:27 AM

185 posts, read 734,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naomisday View Post
The Fairfaxian,

I hope you find what you are looking for...as you get older what other people think of you matters
SO MUCH LESS....
I can certainly attest to that! Fairfaxian, try Miami in 10 years, and I'm done with your thread here. I don't spend as much time in City-Data as I do in the other website that I mentioned to you in a direct message, but you know how to find me if you know how to access your direct messages. Maybe you should try this thread in the other forum I told you about.

Last edited by quantumx; 01-04-2010 at 04:38 AM..

Old 01-04-2010, 05:19 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,614,830 times
Quote:
Has anyone ever thought about Canada?
Probably a good choice.

However, I am wary of the desires of Blacks who intertain these fantasies of finding racial utopia in Europe/Canada/Australia, etc. It's not hard to be tolerant when the fact is your country is still mostly 90% white, as is the case in Europe. Certainly, if you culturally find yourself more drawn to classical western ideas, then you will find much more acceptance amongst whites and white societies. However, I think it's a ruse to lambast the US in regards to race relations when most of these other industrialised countries don't have enough minorites (yet) to even cuase substansial friction.

If a whole bunch of what Fairfaxian calls "Stereotypical" Blacks where to up and transplant themselves in say, Sweden, I can imagine the "tolerance" for Blacks would decline quite substancially.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:24 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,246,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDGJFK View Post
Definately Paris France! Or London.

Paris is one of the most mixed interracial places on the planet. Like London, you can't walk down the street without seeing lots of mixed races friends/couples hanging out. Stereotypical black is completely different in France than in the US, there is no what you Americans would describe as "ghetto hood rat" in Europe

Very different and progressive thinking than backwards Americans. NYC is great too!
Quote:
Has anyone ever thought about Canada?
Interesting ideas but I'm finding fault with the arguments.

As someone has mentioned moving to another country to find racial utopia is just not gonna happen. I think moving to another country would be a great experience but this situation is not a good reason to do so. Also it's hard to move to another country unless you get a job over there first, not the easiest thing without connections. There's thugs and poverty in Europe just like here.

New York def has the thug culture like DC does.

Honestly I'm questioning whether moving ANYWHERE is the solution. At the end of the day running away from a problem doesn't really solve the problem it just gives the problem a new zip code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.