Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2010, 02:13 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,418,437 times

Advertisements

To The_Fairfaxian,

Why don't you try the eastern panhandle of West Virginia? It's close enough to commute to DC, but it's not an established part of the city, so it shouldn't have the old cliques and issues that more built-up parts of the metro do. It also has a low black population, which should work in your favor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
It happens and don't sit here and act like it doesn't. Whites will joke with you about your "white" ways just as much as blacks. It seems you have built up lots of animosity towards blacks.
I have NEVER had a white person put me down for my 'white' ways. Yes, I've had close friends joke about how "white I am," but it's done in a kidding way and they know it doesn't bother me (actually, I take it as a compliment). I have NEVER been RIDICULED by a white person for not being ghetto. Blacks, more times than I can count.

Edit: Also, I have zero animosity towards blacks. I do have animosity towards ghetto people and ignorant thugs who perpetuate the negative stereotypes that decent blacks have tried to rid themselves of for centuries. If a person is the type to ridicule someone for "acting white," getting good grades, having a good job, dressing sensibly (not "gangsta"), dating "outside their race," going off welfare, and many other non-stereotypical things, then yes I have animosity towards their ways and outlook on life.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:24 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
I have NEVER had a white person put me down for my 'white' ways. Yes, I've had close friends joke about how "white I am," but it's done in a kidding way and they know it doesn't bother me (actually, I take it as a compliment). I have NEVER been RIDICULED by a white person for not being ghetto. Blacks, more times than I can count.
Sorry, but it does happen and I've been there and done that. Trust me, it does happen more than people realize. I've also had Black people joke on me because of where I lived and so on. I didn't take it personally, because I knew better. So, it goes both ways. That's why living among another group doesn't mean everything will be alright.

Also, it's not about being "ghetto" either. I think people go too far with this, all the way around. For instance, from my personal experience, when I don't tell people where I'm from or they don't know, I notice that people don't care or notice anything either way, but when or if they do know, some will become more "comfortable"(Whites generally) or they will understand why I might have a "wide" range of friends(Blacks generally).

Old 01-04-2010, 02:26 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,203,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Honestly I'm questioning whether moving ANYWHERE is the solution. At the end of the day running away from a problem doesn't really solve the problem it just gives the problem a new zip code.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
Yep! Hence why this thread and its premise is completely absurd and shouldn't even be taken seriously.
That is true, assuming that all social problems occur at the exact same frequency and quality everywhere. But that's a fantastic assumption which I would love to hear elucidated.

Simply saying that racial prejudice/segregation et al. is everywhere is quite a meaningless statement. Crime, poverty, class discrimination, air and water are also everywhere. But due to different histories and circumstances, they are not the same everywhere. They do not occur at the same frequency everywhere and not with the same quality everywhere. So I think it would be fair to say that different areas have their own racial climates based on their unique histories and circumstances. Would anyone disagree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordtwo View Post
How about we find a vacant island. Clear off some trees and let this guy have it.. Is anyone for it???
Or perhaps we could just be obnoxious.

Last edited by Hoarfrost; 01-04-2010 at 02:37 PM..

Old 01-04-2010, 02:59 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,874,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Edit: Also, I have zero animosity towards blacks. I do have animosity towards ghetto people and ignorant thugs who perpetuate the negative stereotypes that decent blacks have tried to rid themselves of for centuries. If a person is the type to ridicule someone for "acting white," getting good grades, having a good job, dressing sensibly (not "gangsta"), dating "outside their race," going off welfare, and many other non-stereotypical things, then yes I have animosity towards their ways and outlook on life.
The issue that I have is that it is assumed (not necessarily by you, although you may, I don't know) that all of the things you list above constitute "acting white" when, from my perspective, all of those things are quite race neutral. All of those things are true of my web of friends and associates, but we still identify with Black culture as we attend predominantly Black churches, are part of predominantly Black civic organizations, listen mostly to R&B, hip hop, and gospel, enjoy basketball and football (as opposed to lacrosse or hockey), attend Black-oriented events (Black Expo, HBCU homecomings and tournaments, etc.), sport "ethnic" hairstyles, etc. So it is very much possible to be gainfully employed, make a good salary, dress professionally, speak proper English, etc. and not get ridiculed for "acting white." I suppose that's because we know how to navigate between the professional, majority White, corporate world and the Black culture we identify with on a personal level with relative ease and have integrated those two aspects of our persons relatively successfully.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:20 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
The issue that I have is that it is assumed (not necessarily by you, although you may, I don't know) that all of the things you list above constitute "acting white" when, from my perspective, all of those things are quite race neutral. All of those things are true of my web of friends and associates, but we still identify with Black culture as we attend predominantly Black churches, are part of predominantly Black civic organizations, listen mostly to R&B, hip hop, and gospel, enjoy basketball and football (as opposed to lacrosse or hockey), attend Black-oriented events (Black Expo, HBCU homecomings and tournaments, etc.), sport "ethnic" hairstyles, etc. So it is very much possible to be gainfully employed, make a good salary, dress professionally, speak proper English, etc. and not get ridiculed for "acting white." I suppose that's because we know how to navigate between the professional, majority White, corporate world and the Black culture we identify with on a personal level with relative ease and have integrated those two aspects of our persons relatively successfully.
Exactly! I can totally relate to what you are talking about, as my father was a minister/pastor in COGIC/Pentecostal and Baptist churches. So, that's what I grew up in. I'm one of 6 kids from my family to have a college degree, eventhough my parents didn't even finish HS(but got equivalents). My mother is from SC and my pop is from Mississippi, and I've been to both. with that said, all of the children speak "proper" English, have jobs and also can identify with the Black "tradition"/"experience" in terms of culture and history(music, food, etc...).

I also know how to play Lacrosse(because the sport is big in my area and even the urban HS's have quite a few Black players around here and on Long Island) and I understand Hockey because of where I live. So, it's not like things are exclusive to just one type of person/people and it is possible to work your way through various environments.

Also, to break the Black athlete/Hockey streotype, check this out: Black Hockey Roots of Nova Scotia
Black Hockey Timeline (http://www.blackhistorysociety.ca/Black%20Hockey%20Timelines_Tbl.htm - broken link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2QZm8llvig
Coloured Hockey League - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-04-2010, 03:34 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,874,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Exactly! I can totally relate to what you are talking about, as my father was a minister/pastor in COGIC/Pentecostal and Baptist churches. So, that's what I grew up in. I'm one of 6 kids from my family to have a college degree, eventhough my parents didn't even finish HS(but got equivalents). My mother is from SC and my pop is from Mississippi, and I've been to both. with that said, all of the children speak "proper" English, have jobs and also can identify with the Black "tradition"/"experience" in terms of culture and history(music, food, etc...).
Glad someone knows where I'm coming from. I'd rep you, but I've got to spread some more around first. And the church I'm attending now is COGIC.

Quote:
I also know how to play Lacrosse(because the sport is big in my area and even the urban HS's have quite a few Black players around here and on Long Island) and I understand Hockey because of where I live. So, it's not like things are exclusive to just one type of person/people and it is possible to work your way through various environments.

Also, to break the Black athlete/Hockey streotype, check this out: Black Hockey Roots of Nova Scotia
Black Hockey Timeline (http://www.blackhistorysociety.ca/Black%20Hockey%20Timelines_Tbl.htm - broken link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2QZm8llvig
Coloured Hockey League - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That's good info. And not that you misunderstood me, but for the record, I have no problem with Black folks who are into things that are non-stereotypically Black like lacrosse, polo (a sport I would learn to love to play), alternative music, etc. But the point I was making is that those things don't take the place of the other things I mentioned. The stereotypically Black stuff isn't totally thrown out in favor of the non-stereotypically Black stuff, but they exist side by side for those in my web of friends/associates for whom that is the case.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:48 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
That simply doesn't happen to me with white folks. Never had a white person joke like that. Maybe this is just unique to Houston.
I still say that Northern VA has none of the "you act so white" problems that DC or Maryland have.

Now I know I just said that moving is NOT the solution. And at the end of the day there are bigger and more pressing concerns.

However, I will say that I think it is a bigger problem for young people. I was listening to NPR and they were talking about how at one high school in SE DC they didn't announce national honor society programs because the kids won't show up. Getting good grades and being a potential success is not something to be ashamed of. Although it is a little easier on girls than boys. The idea that acting ignorant and making poor grades is the only way to be black has got to stop.
It probably is a Houston thing, or a West of the Mississippi river kind of thing. A few White people have made jokes about me "acting White". It was mainly the preppy White kids who would make jokes about me. A few even called me "Carlton" as in Carlton Banks from Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Some kids even begged me to do the dance. I kept refusing, feeling like they thought of me as a joke.

I agree with you there. This "reading books is a White thing" must should not be. That kind of stuff happens and it isn't good.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:57 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,918,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
It probably is a Houston thing, or a West of the Mississippi river kind of thing. A few White people have made jokes about me "acting White". It was mainly the preppy White kids who would make jokes about me. A few even called me "Carlton" as in Carlton Banks from Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Some kids even begged me to do the dance. I kept refusing, feeling like they thought of me as a joke.

I agree with you there. This "reading books is a White thing" must should not be. That kind of stuff happens and it isn't good.
What a surprise. The preppy whites tend to be amongst the most racist whites I've dealt with. Even worse than the "self-proclaimed rednecks."

And as for blacks who have found like minded peers who are successful and partake in culturally black activities, I'm glad for all of you. But let me state that I personally didn't grow up in the black community that embraced impartial unity and empowered everyone to do something great with their lives. It was the complete opposite. I didn't see much of the pre-Civil Rights uplifting and praise of blacks who wanted to do the right thing. It was the complete mental, social, and sometimes physical beatdown of blacks who wanted to do good things in their lives. And for where I lived, the praise was reserved for the gangstas, hustlers, and thugs. I realize that there was an era where camaraderie in the black community was there. Too bad that in the era (and city) where I live in, it isn't as abundant anymore.

This was one of the main reasons why I made this thread.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
So basically, you're saying that if you are black and self-segregate yourself, you're "acting black," but if you attempt to integrate into mainstream American society, you're "acting white."

As for some of the "black culture" things that you listed: I'm part black (multiracial), and NONE of those things apply to me. I attend a predominantly white church, I'm not part of any civic organizations, I listen to rock, country, and folk music (I dislike black Gospel and R&B, and I HATE Rap), I LOVE hockey (go Red Wings!!!), and my hair, although close-cropped at the moment, was spiked and/or "winged" when I was in college. My family is multiracial, a beautiful mixture of German, Dutch, Irish, Cherokee, and Black American. I didn't grow up with African-American culture, so I don't possess it. My culture is mainstream American. Still, I'm accused of "acting white."

Of course, I'm NOT 100% black, so my experience is probably very different from someone who is entirely black. Still, I have brown skin, and when people look at me, they assume I'm African American, even though I am mixed and not culturally black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.