Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 11:22 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
You guys are missing the point of downtown 2.0: a large and built out extension of original downtown core that acts like a whole another downtown. Forinstance, Downtown San Diego: Petco Park had tremendous impact of the East Village area with a lot of new developments. Portland is another example: North of Burnside, a whole new urban area emerged. Not another existing built urban district like Midtown Atlanta. It's a separate neighborhood entity and urban area. The same goes for Miami: Brickell was already another urban and financial district that had nothing to do with downtown. River North had its own neighborhood separate identity from CBD. Downtown 2.0 is a whole new downtown and built out urban district part of CBD. Hopefully, it's clearer now.
Based on first bolded description and the second bolded description of Brickell, this does not describe River North. The description of River North with the underlining is accurate in the sense that for a period of time the area now known as River North did have a separate identity, but it's not in the way you're describing. Additionally, I don't think you realize the size of River North either. You might be better off using the larger Near North Side Community Area since River North ≠ Streeterville and it also ≠ Gold Coast, but I digress.

At the turn of the 20th century, what is now known as River North was a major industrial area that was home to factories, railroad distribution, warehouses, etc. This slowly started changing as early as the 1920s, however. Using the area entirely north of the Chicago River, meaning I'm drawing in Streeterville, the Wrigley Building opened in the mid-20s. Tribune Tower quickly followed, and the Merchandise Mart, then the largest single building in the world, opened in 1930. These buildings all came to be precisely because they were immediately adjacent to the Loop.

Back then it wasn't functioning as a second CBD independent of the Loop though, and this remains true today. What essentially happened in a nutshell is that the industrial section went into decline, leaving the skyscraper extensions near the river, and by the time the area was rebounding, downtown had already roared back to life. This meant all the redevelopments merged on top of each other. Hence why today River North doesn't function as "a whole other downtown." It is downtown, or least a section of it. "Downtown" has been radiating outward from the Loop for going on a century now, and the term "River North" only came to be in the 1970s thanks to a developer wanting to help bring part of the area back.

TL;DR: River North has never acted as an independent CBD / second downtown. Its slow incorporation into downtown Chicago started a century ago, and it became fully complete decades ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 03:20 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,958,658 times
North Shore - This area was once a sea of parking lots surrounding the former Three Rivers Football / Baseball Stadium. Since 2000 the area has developed into an extension of downtown. The area is serviced by a two lightrail stations and is across the river from downtown Pittsburgh. Infilling the massive surface parking lots is on going.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pi...!4d-79.9958864

Lower Hill District - This area was originally a part of downtown prior to mid century urban renewal. Infrastructure work is on going but the street grid has been complete for a year now. This was an "Amazon" shovel ready site but hopefully will develop soon.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pi...!4d-79.9958864

Old 11-15-2018, 03:23 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,421,600 times
DC--> Arlington and Capital Riverfront/Navy Yard

Old 11-15-2018, 08:14 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
What? If there is any city where that is not the case, it's Atlanta. In fact, it has a Downtown 3.0 as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midtown_Atlanta

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckhead
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
First of all, Atlanta has probably the most successful "downtown 2.0" in the United States, but you completely disregarded it (Midtown).
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I was about to say. I'm not a huge fan of Atlanta, but some of these posters really need to get out more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC2ATL60 View Post
Midtown Atlanta is probably the best example here, yet it was left out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Doesn't Atlanta have 3 downtowns? LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Actually, there are 5. Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead and 2 large edge cities in Cumberland/Galleria and Perimeter Center.

All but Cumberland/Galleria are connected by rail to each other and the Airport, and Perimeter Center is larger than all of them in terms of the most Class A office space.

Atlanta:

Three "Downtowns"
Downtown
Midtown
Buckhead

Five "Downtowns"
Downtown
Midtown
Buckhead
Perimeter
Cumberland

Old 11-15-2018, 09:44 PM

97 posts, read 58,688 times
NYC has a few. Downtown 1 is obviously Downtown Manhattan, and Downtown 2 is obviously Midtown Manhattan, but there are also up and coming areas like Long Island City, Queens, Downtown Brooklyn/Brooklyn Heights, Flushing, Queens and, if you think of it as a separate downtown, Manhattan West/Hudson Yards is shaping up nicely as well.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:09 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
NYC——Downtown Brooklyn and upcoming Long Island City

Old 11-15-2018, 10:21 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
LoDo/Union Station are a part of Downtown Denver. It has a completely different feel (since much of it's brand new) and even it's own skyline but it's just the lower part of Downtown. Denver doesn't really have a solid secondary downtown but Cherry Creek is the closest thing.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:25 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
Wow, one city claiming only 1 ..... and wants it kept that way. One city might be 3 .... might be 5? Guess if someone says 8, maybe 8 will be found. Maybe every neighborhood intersection of retail and offices.... can be a downtown too.

A city can have multiple CBD's. But I'm not going to see them each as a downtown. If one is Medical center district and offices, research facilities with residents. It can be a Business District. But another downtown.... I wouldn't say so. Maybe another with more retail, malls and some nightlife. Then a area of some Colleges with aspects to support them and a campus.

But for Chicago mentioned ..... I agree it is just ONE DOWNTOWN, CBD AND CORE. But what a ONE Downtown it is.

Chicago City Portal .... showing its official ONE CBD.

https://data.cityofchicago.org/Facil...rict/tksj-nvsw

The OP in the past .... argued the areas North of Chicago's Loop. Were not part of downtown. Now River North a part of this section North of Chicago's Loop area. He sees as another downtown in function over part of one today .... long with Streeterville the other part of the ONE DOWNTOWN and CBD plus a small portion of the Gold Coast neighborhood. East of the Loop besides the city's front lawn of 3-parks together. Also has another new neighborhood of offices and skyscraper living. It gets placed with the Loop today as south of the Chicago river also called Lakeshore East. Aging ALL ONE DWNTOWN and CBD.

These pictures shows parts of Streeterville and River North,
with the Loop being in the background of some. ALL ONE DOWNTOWN

Last edited by DavePa; 07-20-2019 at 12:49 AM..

Old 11-16-2018, 05:45 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Wow, one city claiming only 1 ..... and wants it kept that way. One city might be 3 .... might be 5? Guess if someone says 8, maybe 8 will be found. Maybe every neighborhood intersection of retail and offices.... can be a downtown too.

A city can have multiple CBD's. But I'm not going to see them each as a downtown. If one is Medical center district and offices, research facilities with residents. It can be a Business District. But another downtown.... I wouldn't say so. Maybe another with more retail, malls and some nightlife. Then a area of some Colleges with aspects to support them and a campus.

But for Chicago mentioned ..... I agree it is just ONE DOWNTOWN, CBD AND CORE. But what a ONE Downtown it is.

Chicago City Portal .... showing its official ONE CBD.

https://data.cityofchicago.org/Facil...rict/tksj-nvsw

The OP in the past .... argued the areas North of Chicago's Loop. Were not part of downtown. Now River North a part of this section North of Chicago's Loop area. He sees as another downtown in function over part of one today .... long with Streeterville the other part of the ONE DOWNTOWN and CBD plus a small portion of the Gold Coast neighborhood. East of the Loop besides the city's front lawn of 3-parks together. Also has another new neighborhood of offices and skyscraper living. It gets placed with the Loop today as south of the Chicago river also called Lakeshore East. Aging ALL ONE DWNTOWN and CBD.

These pictures shows parts of Streeterville and River North,
with the Loop being in the background of some. ALL ONE DOWNTOWN
That's cute and all...

Atlanta is known to be set up that way though... Yes, it HAS 3 downtowns.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8518...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7911...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7601...7i13312!8i6656

These are actually 3 fully-functioning, separate areas that could function as most cities' "one" downtown.

Here is a clearer picture that clearly depicts this:

They aren't just "CBDs."

Old 11-16-2018, 07:18 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
That's cute and all...

Atlanta is known to be set up that way though... Yes, it HAS 3 downtowns.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8518...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7911...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7601...7i13312!8i6656

These are actually 3 fully-functioning, separate areas that could function as most cities' "one" downtown.

Here is a clearer picture that clearly depicts this:

They aren't just "CBDs."
Again, there is no neighborhood, no body of water separating downtown from midtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.