Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 01:35 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,894,149 times

Advertisements

Orlando lol not sure if this counts

Magic Kingdom (Cinderella castle)
Epcot (Giant golf ball)
Animal Kingdom ( Tree Of life)
Universal City Walk (Giant Universal spinning ball)
Seaworld (Killer Whales)
Hollywood Studios (tower of terror)
Hogwarts Castle (universal again)

Some of these can be found in California as well, and 4 are the most visited places in the entire country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 01:37 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
OK, I'll bite.

Fanueil Hall
Old North Church
Boston Common
Beacon Hill
Fenway Park
Back Bay
Bunker Hill Monument

I tried.
Sadly the Citgo sign probably lol.
Paul Revere statue

Old 01-09-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Sadly the Citgo sign probably lol.
Paul Revere statue
lmao

Old 01-09-2019, 01:45 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
The problem with starting a thread last ke this that is designed to ellicit answers is that it is difficult to include all perameters. You end up realizing too late or another forumer brings up what you may have left out.

A few of you rightfully corrected me on the idea that “just about everybody would recognize this place. Obviously a far broader range of thngs. Mybe I should have said people who are interested in cities or something along those lines.

At any rate, interpret as you choose....but definitely throw out my original “just about everybody”
Well that’s a start, even then many of these wouldn’t be recognized in a photo unless it’s a wide shot with other clues of the location. I’ve been to every city mentioned so far and unless it was right after my trip I probably wouldn’t be able to pick many out that I saw. This is mostly for a lot of museums mentioned, because most are stairs with arches or pillars, lol. Same goes for people mentioning stadiums and music venues. Many have zero interest it them, especially when visiting a city.

People need to quit thinking of their own city and think of one they’ve never been to, or have been to, but not that familiar with.

I have the luxury of having a large staff, with the overwhelming majority of them not from San Diego in a business filled with customers from all over the country. I took screenshots of the most generic photos (or cropped out clues) I could find and showed them to all walks of life and ages (21 and up) after I started my thread about what’s truly recognizable and the results were what I expected, actually worse. If you could objectively do this with a cross section of our population most of you would change your opinion on this subject immediately.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Well that’s a start, even then many of these wouldn’t be recognized in a photo unless it’s a wide shot with other clues of the location. I’ve been to every city mentioned so far and unless it was right after my trip I probably wouldn’t be able to pick many out that I saw. This is mostly for a lot of museums mentioned, because most are stairs with arches or pillars, lol. Same goes for people mentioning stadiums and music venues. Many have zero interest it them, especially when visiting a city.

People need to quit thinking of their own city and think of one they’ve never been to, or have been to, but not that familiar with.

I have the luxury of having a large staff, with the overwhelming majority of them not from San Diego in a business filled with customers from all over the country. I took screenshots of the most generic photos (or cropped out clues) I could find and showed them to all walks of life and ages (21 and up) after I started my thread about what’s truly recognizable and the results were what I expected, actually worse. If you could objectively do this with a cross section of our population most of you would change your opinion on this subject immediately.
Agreed, but America is a huge country with so much going on. You'd have to be well traveled, or a CD nerd like all of us to really be able to distinguish between many of these places, and I'm still having a hard time even some of the places in my own state. lol Like the beautiful photo of the art center in SF I've never seen or heard of it. Looking at the map I've driven by it a few times.

Old 01-09-2019, 02:21 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
for Philly not sure if there are ten

Rocky Steps (Art Museum)
Liberty Bell
City Hall
Independence Hall
Love Statue
Pats and Genos Steaks

Not quite
30th Street Station
Liberty One Tower
Paper Clip Statue
9th Street (Italian) Market
Ben Franklin Bridge

Old 01-09-2019, 02:33 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Quote:
OK, I'll bite.

Fanueil Hall
Old North Church
Boston Common
Beacon Hill
Fenway Park
Back Bay
Bunker Hill Monument

I tried.
Tried...and did well. Perhaps: swan boats, Paul Revere’s house, Harvard Square. More of a stretch: MIT’s main bldg on the Charles, Boston Pops bandshell on the Charles (last one very weak)

Old 01-09-2019, 02:33 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
OK, I'll bite.

Fanueil Hall
Old North Church
Boston Common
Beacon Hill
Fenway Park
Back Bay
Bunker Hill Monument

I tried.
That suspension bridge close to TD Garden is pretty iconic.

Old 01-09-2019, 02:40 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
for Philly not sure if there are ten

Rocky Steps (Art Museum)
Liberty Bell
City Hall
Independence Hall
Love Statue
Pats and Genos Steaks

Not quite
30th Street Station
Liberty One Tower
Paper Clip Statue
9th Street (Italian) Market
Ben Franklin Bridge
Ok, Kidphilly, you did well. EXCEPT.....

Why no boathouses on the Schuykill?

And I shouldn’t even be helping you after Sunday evening at Soldier Field and a helluva lot of misery. We here in Chicago are filled with brotherly hate.

Old 01-09-2019, 02:48 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Ok, Kidphilly, you did well. EXCEPT.....

Why no boathouses on the Schuykill?

And I shouldn’t even be helping you after Sunday evening at Soldier Field and a helluva lot of misery. We here in Chicago are filled with brotherly hate.

ha yes how did I forget boat house row

I said in a different and sort of related thread that people from other places should do this for places; as residents we may have different lists but yes boat house row is a good one

BTW - I have proof Cody's father is an eagles fan, so not only did he play prior for the eagles but he has family roots

see below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrqTVFuHxkQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.