Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 10:30 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times

Advertisements

There should be another thread created to see how many cities would people identify 10 places in the city that are not sports venues. That kind of dilutes the topic.

In doing so I think only a few cities would pass that test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 10:48 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,828,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Op's, sorry ED. now my bad ... I confused the thread with this other threads OP listing. to me.
apology accepted, but was it really necessary to give me erectile dysfunction?

Old 01-10-2019, 10:49 AM

16,077 posts, read 10,735,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
St. Louis
  • Art Hill
  • Arch
  • Busch Stadium
  • Soulard
  • Basilica
  • City Garden
  • Old Courthouse
  • Missouri Botanical Gardens
  • Union Station
  • Eads Bridge

Okay maybe a little stretch by including St. Louis in the likes of Chicago and San Francisco but these are things that makes the city recognizable around the world.
I like your list but one has to be "in the know" somewhat...
What is City Garden? (Is that the new plaza opened downtown?)
The Climatron in Mo. Botanical Garden is an iconic geodesic dome.
The Planetarium in Forest Park stands out next to the highway
Lambert terminal -- a mid-century modern icon
The old Busch Stadium was more unique, mid-century modern. The new one is OK.
Monks Mound at Cahokia Mounds World Heritage Site (granted, not in StL limits)
Soulard -- you mean the old city market building?
Anheuser Busch Brewery
Monsanto?

Old 01-10-2019, 10:56 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,828,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
There should be another thread created to see how many cities would people identify 10 places in the city that are not sports venues. That kind of dilutes the topic.

I mentioned this earlier: there is really a very short list of stadiums that would fit the bill.

I had mentioned the following:
• MLB: Wrigley Field, Fenway Park, Yankee Stadium
• Football: Rose Bowl and LA Coliseum

I honestly can't think of any that would carry the identity of those five. If I had to come up with more (and this puts us into the very "iffy" category), I would throw in:
• Camden Yards
• MSG (although the name is very famous, the building itself is not all that recognizable....definitely not the inside)
• Michigan Stadium
• Super Dome (exterior....although far less likely to elicit a posititive response than years ago)
• Dodger Stadium

Old 01-10-2019, 11:01 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post

No kidding. Not only that, most wouldn’t recognize a stadium if it didn’t have the team’s name and logos in the end zones and midfield, or a shot of it with the skyline or surroundings in the background. I’ll give you baseball stadiums looking out from home plate for the avid baseball fan, but that’s it. I won’t even go there with people including arenas.

I’m a huge sports fan, but I think too many think everyone else is like them. Attendance, viewership ratings, and just plain general interest, is filled with casual fans that couldn’t tell you much about the sport, much less pick out a stadium. Do you really think they care about it when thinking of, or visiting a city?

There are a handful of iconic stadiums that many know the names of, but many of those who know the name couldn’t pick it from a picture lineup.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:44 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,450,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
LA:

1. Santa Monica Pier
2. Hollywood Sign
3. Hollywood Walk of Fame
4. Venice Beach Boardwalk
5. "VENICE" lights across the street
6. Sunset Strip
7. 405 traffic
8. Rodeo Drive
9. Disneyland
10. Third Street Promenade

To continue: Malibu beach scenes, Palm tree + sunset + mountain pics, Disney Concert Hall, possibly The Grove (one of those entertainment shows films there). As for the Walk of Fame, some of the individual theaters too since there are movie premiers at them.
Outside NYC and DC I think cities struggle past 5 or 6. I would consolidate and substitute a couple of the above for the Stahl House and maybe the Ennis House. Randy's Donuts qualifies but not sure to what degree it's associated with L.A. exclusively. Walk of Fame I would cite in front of Grauman's Chinese Theater specifically. Definitely the LAX Theme Building, maybe Capitol Records. So a good set of 10 but not as solid as NYC at least.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:54 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,835,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Great thread idea
I agree with your list, I knew all of those places in SF easily! As I was reading your list I could even picture each one in my mind clearly.

I’ll do one for my city, New York. Another easy one:

1. Statue of Liberty Sure
2. Empire State Building Sure
3. Times Square Yep
4. World Trade Center and 9/11 Memorial ? I'd say the twin towers are iconic not what's replaced them.
5. Ellis Island Not really
6. Brooklyn Bridge Sure
7. Central Park Yep
8. NYSE/Wall Street Check
9. Grand Central Check
10. Rockefeller Center Check

Honorable mentions: Chrysler building, Coney Island, Manhattan Bridge/DUMBO, Penn Station/MSG (Not unless the name "Pennsylvania Station" is visible in the image), Flatiron building, Washington Square Park, United Nations....

Honestly I could just keep going lol. NY is another rly obvious one. This thread should get more interesting later on though.
Endless possibilities in New York but a few quibbles with your list.

At one time Grant's Tomb was widely recognized-- maybe 100 yrs ago-- now not so much. With Washington Square it's the view through the arch up Fifth Avenue, right? Otherwise I don't know if people could place it.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:04 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,219,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Endless possibilities in New York but a few quibbles with your list.

At one time Grant's Tomb was widely recognized-- maybe 100 yrs ago-- now not so much. With Washington Square it's the view through the arch up Fifth Avenue, right? Otherwise I don't know if people could place it.
1. Hmm I guess Ellis Island isn’t as famous as I thought... always thought it was more of an American landmark than just a local NY landmark.

2. Yeah you got that right about the arch.

3. I don’t expect outsiders to know all the new WTC towers, except maybe 1WTC that some people call “Freedom Tower, but is the 9/11 memorial not known either? That would be a bigger surprise to me than Ellis Island.

Do people not recognize what this is? Honest Question. This thread and the spin-off is making me rethink my whole city...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/b2tse/...-nDXhfh-qjmV9d
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pablo_...-bh4cre-5vAdYY
https://www.flickr.com/photos/photos...-5vzx55-5vAASU
https://www.flickr.com/photos/144635...-XpoauT-5vAz5U

Old 01-10-2019, 08:12 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,578,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
1. Hmm I guess Ellis Island isn’t as famous as I thought... always thought it was more of an American landmark than just a local NY landmark.

2. Yeah you got that right about the arch.

3. I don’t expect outsiders to know all the new WTC towers, except maybe 1WTC that some people call “Freedom Tower, but is the 9/11 memorial not known either? That would be a bigger surprise to me than Ellis Island.

Do people not recognize what this is? Honest Question. This thread and the spin-off is making me rethink my whole city...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/b2tse/...-nDXhfh-qjmV9d
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pablo_...-bh4cre-5vAdYY
https://www.flickr.com/photos/photos...-5vzx55-5vAASU
https://www.flickr.com/photos/144635...-XpoauT-5vAz5U
I think the average American knows Ellis island, but wouldn't (me included) be able to associate a picture of it with NYC.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:12 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,835,893 times
Ellis Island is famous for being an immigration station — although one for the port of New York, and immigrants came through many ports — but my point is the recognizability factor. Not sure it has it— early 20th century institutional buildings, how would you know it’s anything in particular. Penn Station too — As a physical place it’s mundane, inside and out. Could be in any big city. As a name it’s better known at least in the northeast but as the Pennsylvania Railroad named many of its stations for itself the one in New York has to compete with Newark, Baltimore and maybe others for recognition. Now if they hadn’t gone and torn down the old station then...

Personally I think the new WTC is just another skyscraper whereas who wouldn’t recognize the twin towers especially after what happened. And the memorial is moving but so new and quite like the one over in jersey city and other abstract installations. Maybe I’m wrong but I think it takes time for something to become iconic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.