Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is TX the best state of USA ?
YES 57 28.36%
NO 144 71.64%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 12:57 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times

Advertisements

You just don't get it Kofi, I don't know what else I can say to help you understand this and I'm not going to try anymore b/c I might as well explain it to a brick wall. When you talk about how "FAST" something is growing you look at rates. Growing by more people overall does not mean it's growing "faster" at all, it's just growing by larger numbers overall.

You're young, think you know what you're talking about but don't. I have more education and experience in dealing with stats than you do I bet. Hopefully eventually you'll figure this out for yourself, please get an education beyond public high school in TX....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 01:03 PM

415 posts, read 506,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You just don't get it Kofi, I don't know what else I can say to help you understand this and I'm not going to try anymore b/c I might as well explain it to a brick wall. When you talk about how "FAST" something is growing you look at rates. Growing by more people overall does not mean it's growing "faster" at all, it's just growing by larger numbers overall.
So what does growing by more people overall mean? Nothing? No, I don't think so.

Quote:
You're young, think you know what you're talking about but don't. I have more education and experience in dealing with stats than you do I bet. Hopefully eventually you'll figure this out for yourself, please get an education beyond public high school in TX....
You can learn a thing or two from the young people .

I'm still learning. Thank you.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:22 PM

343 posts, read 932,902 times
Lets recap what we know: Texas has a smaller growth rate than many US states (NV and AZ included). Texas added more total people last year than any other state. Growth rates are used because they are a more apt comparison of states which differ in total size.

Therefore: While texas is adding many people, a continuance of current growth rates would result in larger populations for NV and AZ.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:35 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kofi713 View Post
But Texas is the second most populous state, and is the fastest growing state in the United States, and has been since 2000. Don't sleep on Texas. Most people are ignorant about this place.
so? NJ is the most densely populated, Texas would have to have 300 million people to match NJ's density, so that means NJ is desirable and therefore, the best! WOO HOO! WE WIN!!! LOL

Old 07-11-2008, 01:36 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Quote:
So what does growing by more people overall mean? Nothing? No, I don't think so.
It means you are growing by a larger number of people is all, not the fastest. If you start off with 10 million people and add a million people a year for 20 years you, end up with 30 million people and it looks good. Take 5 million people and add 10% steady growth rate and while the numbers don't look as impressive the first few years, after the same 20 years, the population is over 33 million. Which is growing faster, the big numbers at the start or the bigger percentage of total population? Anybody with more than a 5th grade education can see that percentage of population is the figure that should (and is) used to determine which of the two is growing faster, not gross numbers.

Quote:
You can learn a thing or two from the young people .

I'm still learning. Thank you.
And young people can learn a thing or two by listening to those who have more experience also sometimes. God I can't wait until I get old and can use that for a reason for being so cranky and Curmudgeonly.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:03 PM

304 posts, read 904,912 times
nah texas is maybe 3rd after california and florida

Old 07-11-2008, 03:49 PM

351 posts, read 336,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
SHUT YOUR MOUTH! You better take that back. Wash your mouth out with soap.. how dare you say such an awful thing about Texas. Them fightin words. Someone get a rope.

I'll find the Tall Oak Tree! Texas The New California well I never....

I'm a Yankee and I love Texas mostly because a Yankee in Texas is called Boss. Okay sorry had to...

Texas went thru the S&L scandal of the 80's and therefore has not been hit by the recent sub-prime debacle. Our housing $$ were not over inflated or bubbled as other areas and while the market has slowed (mainly due to the difficultly in getting a mortgage) homes are still selling. Companies still flock to Texas due to tax incentives and our unemployment rate is under 5%. Due to our climate we have a lot of outdoor activies year round and I love that. I do however miss seasons and most of our beaches on the coast are blah. Who cares about two small downsides, Texas is full of great little towns steeped in character/charm and tradition and the people are the best anywhere.

Should you be someone thinking of moving to Texas and clogging our roads during rush hour than Texas is the worst place ever, you will hate it, we are all Bubbas and rednecks that carry guns and chew tobacco and drive our cattle down street.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:51 PM

187 posts, read 524,385 times
NO!, however, according to CNBC it's #1 in terms of jobs.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:58 PM

415 posts, read 506,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
It means you are growing by a larger number of people is all, not the fastest. If you start off with 10 million people and add a million people a year for 20 years you, end up with 30 million people and it looks good. Take 5 million people and add 10% steady growth rate and while the numbers don't look as impressive the first few years, after the same 20 years, the population is over 33 million. Which is growing faster, the big numbers at the start or the bigger percentage of total population? Anybody with more than a 5th grade education can see that percentage of population is the figure that should (and is) used to determine which of the two is growing faster, not gross numbers.
Tell that to the Census, using raw numbers: http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2008/07/07/daily32.html?surround=lfn

But some use percentages: http://money.cnn.com/2008/07/10/real...ion=2008071004

And I dare you to tell it to these people: http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/...howtopic=16729

They are the ones saying "fastest growing". Maybe you and sav should teach them a lesson.

Quote:
And young people can learn a thing or two by listening to those who have more experience also sometimes. God I can't wait until I get old and can use that for a reason for being so cranky and Curmudgeonly.
He isn't teaching me anything I don't know.

Last edited by Kofi713; 07-11-2008 at 04:09 PM..

Old 07-11-2008, 04:02 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Tell that to the Census: U.S.: New Orleans is nation's fastest growing big city - Jul. 10, 2008

They are the ones saying "fastest growing". Maybe you and sav should teach them a lesson.

He isn't teaching me anything I don't know.
You can't be serious? Do you really need an explanation on New Orleans growth rate? And many times when they show which cities have declined the most since 2000 New Orleans is left out with an explanation in small print below for OBVIOUS reasons.

And maybe you should take a look at how they measure "fastest growing" in that table....WITH PERCENTAGES! They didn't use actual numerical increases but PERCENTAGES for the GROWTH RATE.

YOU JUST PROVED OUR POINT! can you not see that? The link you show uses PERCENTAGES to show fastest growing, so thank you for proving us right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.