Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 12:25 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
Most of those beautiful women in NYC are small town Southern gals come up to make a name for themselves.
LOL what!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 06:01 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Why does blueva keep starting threads about The South? Are you really vasinger? Welcome back! Don't worry, your secret's safe with me!
I think so too. Welcome back Vasinger!

Old 09-21-2008, 06:18 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
Oh Lord. The South has tbe Best looking women!
Go to Richmond, Nashville, Atlanta, Charleston, you will see some of the FINEST looking women on the planet!

Cant say that about the North really. Most of those beautiful women in NYC are small town Southern gals come up to make a name for themselves.
Ah, you are so correct . Must be all Southern women who are stunningly beautiful in my town as well. Must flock up to my little town of 1200 people to make it big in ..., Movies... nope, music... nope, Sports... nope, Television..., jeeze nope again, uh what would they be coming here to make a name for themselves in? Oh yeah, they were born here and not out to make a name for themselves anyplace. The South does have some beautiful women, but it is FAR from having them all, and far from having the majority of them either.

What a troll.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:20 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
[quote=ogre;5354235]Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte:
"Stereotypes are often based on one side of what people see, in many cases what people want to see. Most Southern literature was written by Southerners and most Southerners wanted to portray their region as an idyllic place where people are nice, friendly, and polite and everyone lives in mansions lines with oak trees and Spanish moss. That is what alot of people wanted to portray. Basically, most Southern writers wanted to portray the Antebellum way of life that they missed."
Quote:

Have to disagree with this part of your post. Try reading some works by Faulkner, or Flannery O'Conner, to name a couple. You won't see a lot of such sugary nostalgia from THOSE Southern writers.

To respond to the OP's question, I think that old movies tended to portray a lot of subjects in kind of a sappy fashion. Not all old movies to be sure, but enough to notice a definite trend toward more hard-bitten realism beginning in, oh, around the '50's. It was part of a broader hokiness in popular culture to portray the South as the land of sunny gentility.

I would also think that the racial consciousness prevalent in the U.S. for the past several decades has affected our view of many things. Much of American life is interpreted with an emphasis on race, in a way that was not the case before the 1960's. I believe that the degree to which race hangs over our collective view of many issues is not always healthy. Detailed elaboration on that thought probably would belong in another thread, but one example would be the contempt that many non-Southerners have developed toward the South because of the focus on the region's racial history, to the exclusion of the many other facets of Southern culture. Neither today's narrow view (by many) of the South as a fetid pool of in-bred racists nor the syrupy old pictures of happy chilluns frollickin' among the magnolias is really a balanced or accurate portrayal of the region.
I didn't say all Southern writers. I said the portrayals of the South as idyllic were written by Southern writers.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:22 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,474,352 times
Because the northerners started moving there.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:33 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,904 times
Quote:
Before WWII, a lot of movies, literature, and magazines would play up The "Old South" ideal- Encouraging Northerners to go south and experience fine Southern hospitality at local bed and breakfasts and go tour plantations. They would show pictures of it and then in movies such as "Gone With The Wind"- the South was a land of the Gentry- the nobleman who came over from England and settled there. From Virginia through Georgia, brochures would fly off the shelves promoting this "feel good" Southern lifestyle. Pictures of Southern belles in hoop skirts, happy black people singing and dancing and singing Negroe spirituals. The South was some kind of magical land where happy , beautiful rich people lived.
Are you sure about this?

Quote:
The South is a land of inbred yokel rednecks and hillbillies and vicious cross burning racists and backwards little towns, and people who have missing teeth, and people who eat dirt, etc

Shows like "The Beverly Hillbilles" were on TV. People started making fun of Southerners in movies- "Deliverance" anyone?
Have you ever seen Deliverance?
Not Funny!

Quote:
Even now- The Modern South now is still seen as "redneck". People think being a redneck = Southern. They dont understand its just a class of people, not the region itself. People talk about Southern and Redneck as if its one in the same.
I'm a northerner and I have no idea what you are talking about.

Quote:
IMO, rednecks have more in common with Yankees, but I digress......
You do realize that you just committed the same crime that your post is railing against....Don't you?

Quote:
How did they go from one extreme to another over night?

The REAL South is somwhere in between those exaggerations anyhow.

What gives?
Much like what's between your ears.....nothing!
"happy black people singing and dancing and singing Negroe spirituals. The South was some kind of magical land where happy , beautiful rich people lived."
Blueva, you make southerners look bad!

Last edited by TomDot; 10-27-2008 at 07:44 AM..

Old 10-27-2008, 11:24 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
I found when I visited Arkansas that eeeeveryone referred to me as a "northerner" and a "yankee". It was very bizarre, and almost made me nervous, if only because it seemed EVERYONE pointed me out as from "THE NORTH".

People asked my friend who was working down there from Chicago "would a northerner ever vote for a southerner as President??", "Do you hate the south", "Do you think I'd surivive up in the north", "Isn't the north dirty?".

She was very weirded out by the whole thing. I've never thought once about "north vs south", people were just from where they were from. You're from Georgia? Great. You're from South Dakota? Good for you.

I had no idea at all that people down south were still on this kick of basing everything off north vs south. Some of her coworkers were actually nervous about going to Chicago because they'd never been "up north" before and were afraid of how people would react to them. My friend just said, no, just be yourself. We're all Americans!! I don't think anyone from the north gives two craps about this rivalry. We're all just worried about our country in general.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:40 PM

103 posts, read 358,183 times
Why? I'll tell you. Evangelical magachurches, and beauty pageants for 5 y/o girls. The latter I find really disturbing.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:07 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,474,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boston mark View Post
Why? I'll tell you. Evangelical magachurches, and beauty pageants for 5 y/o girls. The latter I find really disturbing.
Well you can also find them in NJ and probably CA also
Btw what's so wrong with those churches?

Old 10-27-2008, 01:25 PM

103 posts, read 358,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Well you can also find them in NJ and probably CA also
Btw what's so wrong with those churches?
Once you cross the GW Bridge into Jersey, you're in the south.

j/k

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with megachurches, but as an atheist, organized religion makes me a little uncomfortable. So organized religion on such a grand scale is a bit much for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.