Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can any U.S. city really compare to Los Angeles, California?
Yes 56 69.14%
No 25 30.86%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 09:50 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
I don't believe so, no. Its unique. Im just basing this off pictures though. im dying to go, i would love to see the largest city on the West Coast
oh wait, i thought the thread was asking If LA was similar to any other cities. If its asking if it is the best city in the US, than id say no

Old 09-28-2008, 12:50 AM

6,541 posts, read 12,037,130 times
Atlanta is said to be the new L.A. of the South. Both cities sprawl, have big freeways, smog, traffic, and crime. Both cities also have a lot of celebraties living in them, and their downtown skylines look similar, plus how they have multiple skylines and urban neighborhoods.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:02 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,304,518 times
Default Phoenix and/or Las Vegas

If you interpret the question literally, by looking at geographic reality, then Phoenix is probably more like LA than any other non-California city. Granted, not the glamorous parts of LA, and not the beach, but a lot of resemblances to inland LA-- the valleys, inland empire, inland OC, etc. The vast sprawl, vast gridded out road and freeway, network, brown hills/mountains everywhere, valley land that used to be agricultural now turned into suburban sprawl, In-n-out Burger, El Pollo Loco, palm trees, a winter season with very similar temperatures, Scottsdale, general culture (I challenge you to find ANY city in the US with a higher percentage of residents who are ex-Californians other than Phoenix and Vegas), the vast Mexican/Spanish speaking population. Phoenix and Vegas are also the physically closest non-CA cities to Los Angeles.

Of course if you're asking the question in terms of the "myth" of LA-- the perceived glitz and glamor and image that "Ellay" connotes-- then Phoenix is out and I'd say only Las Vegas would compare.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:09 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,304,518 times
Want to see something interesting? Here are two pictures I have taken within the last year. This is total coincidence, I just noticed this a few days ago while looking over my photo albums:

Phoenix:

SoCal (granted, this is actually San Diego, but you can find homes like this in parts of the greater LA area too):

Old 09-28-2008, 03:10 AM

263 posts, read 798,522 times
Such over-simplifications, tinged with hate, tend to look tired. Also, the descriptions of endless sprawl, from people who don't actually know what they're talking about, trying to paint the most diversified city in the world- with a tiny brush. The 'brown' hills are not the type you would find anywhere near Arizona or Nevada, as Southern California is a mediterranean climate zone, and not a desert. There is not one city in the world that can compare to it's diversity, comparing the various neighborhoods and topography, the economic attributes and cultures. However, Los Angeles can compare in small ways to just about any location anywhere. For all the mountains and valleys and seashores topped with the most massive trade complex and Hollywood as it's cherry on the top, there is nothing comparable. It's not the best city in the world, as it's much too large to be such, but it's the most diverse and influential. No more Britney talk. That just reveals you to be a simplified easterner. By the way: Tokyo, currently the greatest

Old 09-28-2008, 05:03 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
If Hollywood is the "cherry on top" I don't want the sunday under it!

Old 09-28-2008, 08:43 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Atlanta is said to be the new L.A. of the South. Both cities sprawl, have big freeways, smog, traffic, and crime. Both cities also have a lot of celebraties living in them, and their downtown skylines look similar, plus how they have multiple skylines and urban neighborhoods.
By who Atlantans?
LOL!

Old 09-28-2008, 08:50 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
By who Atlantans?
LOL!
I hate when people say "blah blah is the los angeles/new york/chicago of the south". This has been said for pretty much every major city in the south, so don't take it seriously when people tell you that.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:08 AM

155 posts, read 733,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I hate when people say "blah blah is the los angeles/new york/chicago of the south". This has been said for pretty much every major city in the south, so don't take it seriously when people tell you that.
But that's the whole point of this thread.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:18 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,229,745 times
I've lived in some largest ten U.S. cities and been in most major U.S. metros, including L.A., from Ventura to Burbank to Santa Monica to Long Beach.

I wouldn't be interested in comparing any city I've lived in to L.A. But it does have a nice beach. though the water's a bit cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.