Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Urban or Suburban??
Urban 130 65.66%
Suburban 68 34.34%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 01:15 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times

Advertisements

I'll take urban if by myself or with my wife, but a walkable suburb with kids.. And by walkable, I mean a main street or "downtown" within 1 mile, train access to a big city, a coffee shop, a few restaurants/bars.

In a perfect world, a neighborhood of 8k-10k sqft lots is good for me. Enough room for the kids to really play in the back yard, but not too large to feel isolated or to have to spend your weekends maintaining the lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2020, 01:44 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
suburban

Old 08-15-2020, 01:46 PM

8,491 posts, read 4,735,625 times
I have always been a suburb kind of guy. I need just that little bit of space to spread out and not worry about tickets for taking the trash out on the wrong day or other silly stuff like that which you find in some urban centers. I am also too much of a car nut to want to deal with parking and the other hassles a car would introduce in an urban setting.

Old 08-15-2020, 02:54 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,386,392 times
I currently reside in Los Angeles and people would say it is suburban and others say urban. It isn't urban like Downtown LA or Hollywood or Downtown Long Beach. It isn't what I consider suburban like Santa Clarita, Calabasas, Irvine.
It is like a large town. All the retail is focuses on major streets with public transit. Behind the major streets are the apartment buildings, duplexes, etc and then single family housing. The commercial major streets are a mix of traditional street facing retails with limited parking behind. Also some are more the small strip mall or major grocery stores OR large box stores like CVS/Rite Aid with a small parking lot. Then have some fast food places with drive ins. The commercial streets are not mixed used with retail below and residential above. Most of LA keeps residential and commercial separate. But everyone is not really far walking distance from the amenities. Not like walking in these curvy cul de sac areas. In the past the street cars went through these major streets which is why retail developed there and why they were wide.
So if I were to choose, then I would choose LA style suburban or urban, whatever you want to call it. Example areas is like Los Feliz, Silver Lake, Fairfax District, Highland Park, eagle Rock, Lincoln Heights.

Old 08-16-2020, 07:53 AM

1,049 posts, read 653,283 times
Urban but smaller cities.

Places like Bowling Green KY; Saint George UT; Twin Falls ID; Huntsville AL; and Springfield MO.

Old 08-16-2020, 09:19 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
I'm a born and bred suburbanite, and the suburbs are where I've always felt most comfortable. And yet, I've always been enthralled with cities as well. I enjoy visiting cities; I enjoy riding on their public transit; I enjoy experiencing their sights and sounds and partaking of their amenities.

As a young adult, I decided to scratch my urban itch and so I moved into Philadelphia. I lived there for 10 years, and for at least 9 of those years, I really loved it. But it started wearing on me toward the end. The hassles became more pronounced. Finally, a job change gave me the catalyst to leave; and I moved to a suburban community in Maryland. And in a lot of ways, it felt like coming home.

I still love exploring cities. (Well, up until the current unpleasantness started. Until things settle down, I'm going to be staying away from major cities.) But now, as a family man with children, I know that the suburbs are where I belong.

Old 08-16-2020, 02:39 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,996 times
I'm in the perhaps minority mindset that I'm either all in for an urban setting, or all in for a far out suburban setting.

If I'm in the city, I want the true city life in a very active neighborhood. For a suburb, I want a suburb/exurb on the outer edge of a metro area that is quiet, not congested, have a wide yard, lower taxes, and a big house. Some more urban/pre war suburbs are nice too but that's about it. No "suburban" areas within big cities or mediocre post-war suburbs where there's congestion. Either I'm close to the action or far away from it.

Old 08-16-2020, 04:34 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,499,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
I picked suburban but all suburbs aren't created equal. Arlington VA and Hoboken NJ are suburbs but one can argue that both are more urban than most US cities.

My suburb outside of DC is pretty suburban but I'm so close to the city, I can literally bike ride into via the trails or using public transport so I feel "connected" to the city. I'm near several walkable developments and we having a large thriving arts community here.
"Urban suburbs" sound pretty good to me. I think that, even though technically those are suburbs of larger cities, they are fundamentally different than the "suburban" lifestyle/idea that that word conjures up.

https://goo.gl/maps/97v4pS5mMAgDVxXRA

Sure, it's a suburb, but this is 100% urban to me and isn't 100% of Hoboken pretty much...just like this? If 100% of a city is 100% urban and is the 4th densest city in the country, I can't group it with "suburban life" compared with sunbelt/midwest "suburban life". Completely different lifestyles. Compare it to Cary, North Carolina - a suburb of Raleigh and idyllic suburban life for many:

https://goo.gl/maps/883xasbieEJcBY9W8

THIS is 100% suburban to me. Sub urban. There is still development/buildings/sidewalks, traffic etc everywhere, but it is sooooo different.

It's almost as if we need a new term for these different kind of suburban.

Old 08-16-2020, 04:48 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
I live in a very "car centric" state (Texas) and frankly, I love it. I love love love having a garage with a car in it, and I can (and do) hop into it and just go whenever and wherever I want. I can load it down with dogs, groceries, antiques, you name it.

I like the freedom of it.

I also enjoy the quietness of a suburb, just outside the city limits. I enjoy the big yard, the spacious patio, the privacy. I love hearing the birds in the morning, watching squirrels, etc. We have owls and even a bald eagle living in the woods behind our house and sometimes we see them flying through the air.

When I was younger I thought a penthouse in a huge urban area was what I wanted. Well, that is what I wanted - at that stage of the game (no kids, no husband). My youngest son still lives in an urban setting, in an apartment with no vehicle at all (he Ubers a lot but it's still cheaper than owning a car), in Austin. He loves it.

My oldest son lives in a tiny apartment, but he lives near a beach on an island. His house is pretty uninteresting but that's not what matters to him. He visited here a couple of years ago and said, "No offense, Mom, but your life seems like hell to me." This was because my husband and I were talking about building a raised garden. He thought it sounded like zero fun. But then, I care nothing about cave diving. THAT sounds like hell to me!

My oldest daughter wants a big, rambling farmhouse way out in the country, with acreage, chickens, goats, etc. Right now she's living in a four story home built in the 1700s, but town has built up around it so now it's smack dab in the middle of everything. Cool house though.

To each his or her own. I'm glad to have all the options we have!

Old 08-17-2020, 03:37 AM

1,122 posts, read 924,910 times
Look at the crime statistics for America's major cities.
Compare them to a typical Canadian city or Boston.
No: it ain't normal. Nor really, a repeat of the '60's or 70's.
We are breaking new ground......
Laugh it off.

https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status...916038145?s=20

https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status...114493445?s=20

https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status...847368704?s=20

https://twitter.com/FromKalen/status...177951748?s=20

https://twitter.com/FromKalen/status...032461312?s=20

https://twitter.com/VenturaReport/st...831618052?s=20

https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status...759442944?s=20

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.