Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the most beautiful and breathtaking skyline?
Baltimore 3 0.70%
Los Angeles 7 1.63%
Seattle 37 8.62%
Denver 9 2.10%
San Diego 7 1.63%
Phoenix 2 0.47%
Chicago 57 13.29%
San Francisco 32 7.46%
Houston 17 3.96%
New York City 92 21.45%
Boston 8 1.86%
Philadelphia 7 1.63%
Pittsburgh 23 5.36%
Dallas 13 3.03%
Detroit 5 1.17%
Atlanta 84 19.58%
St. Louis 4 0.93%
Minneapolis 15 3.50%
Kansas City 1 0.23%
New Orleans 6 1.40%
Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 04:44 AM

288 posts, read 1,329,034 times

Advertisements

http://l.yimg.com/www.flickr.com/images/spaceball.gif (broken link)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Guys, guys, guys, SF,Philadlephia,Boston are light years ahead of Houston,Atl,Dallas. US skylines start with NYC Chic SF Philly,Boston then you shake out the rest.

No offense but the cityscapes of Hou,ATL,dallas look like props from Universal Studios.

Downtown Houston looks exactly like the western suburbs of Philadlephia-Except in the Philly suburbs the buildings are 4 story sprawlers instead of 40 story risers.

Houston

Seattle

Seattle is Ok. Certainly a notch above the sunbelt cinderellas.But I would certainly put it behind SF-Philly-Boston. Like I said looks good from certain angles, especially if you got the Pluto lens that captures Mt Ranier 110 miles away. That was a cheap trick pulling a couple of ishtar Boston photos. I can grab some slick cityscapes of Boston that would Seattle look like walla-walla

Boston

Philly

1/4 of Philly skyline

Boston makes Seattle look like Walla Walla (are you kidding me)…you really need to visit the pacific northwest. Since you like going that fare from reality, might as well say Boston makes New York look like Cambridge. Minneapolis has under 400,000 people and their downtown looks better than Boston’s. L.A. looks better than Boston IMO.

Seriously, you could show 100 people a picture of Boston’s skyline, and no one would even know what it was. You show one building in Seattle (the space needle) just like the Empire State Building in NY or Sears’s tower in Chi-town and you automatically know what city it is. They are world class, with top notch skylines. The most popular buildings in Boston is an almost 100 year old baseball stadium, and a basketball arena that no longer exist.

As far as looking good from certain angles, is a ridiculous statement. Chicago looks more impressive from other angles as does New York, Toronto, etc etc. People will tell you, the first time they saw NY’s skyline it blew them away, or Saw Chicago on the lake, or came in on a ferry into Seattle and was amazed. That is what makes a great skyline in my book, when it amazes you, and it can be easily identified by anyone in the world. Boston just does not come to anyone’s mind as having some wonderful skyline nor should it, because it doesn’t. Just look at the results of this poll. (Although Atlanta rated ahead of Seattle is crazy) Not a bad city though.

Seattle has more height, and twice if not triple the amount of skyscrapers than Boston. In two years after construction is complete the skyline of Seattle’s suburb of Bellevue will look more impressive than Boston’s skyline.

Personally, I don’t like all the old brick low rise mush of buildings, you showed with that horrible representation of Boston, at least I tried to help Boston out and put the water in the pics.

A little FYI to school you a bit on Seattle’s long reputation as the Manhattan of the west coast with height and buildings. The Smith Tower built in 1914 was the 4th tallest building in the world and the tallest in the world outside Manhattan

Then came the space needle 1962, and then came the Columbia center 1985 which is still the tallest building in number of floors west of the Mississippi. Seattle started getting so tall and big, and feared “Manhattanization as they called it” that the town, back then panicked and voted against all the barrage of skyscrapers being built and put a height limit on the city. At first a town is what it was before it became the metropolis it is today. Now the height limit is gone, and the building frenzy is on again.

There are at least 15 to 20 hi-rise projects going up right now as we speak 50 planned. The construction is all going on in the part of Downtown that had not been built up as of yet, making the skyline extend and even bigger than what it is.

Downtown Seattle Spans from Lake Union to Safeco Field, which is 3 miles longs, and from Elliot bay to Capitol Hill which is a mile wide. All of Downtown Boston would only be a neighborhood in Downtown Seattle.

Philly’s skyline is much better than Boston’s in my opinion. So is Houston’s and Atlanta’s the cities you seem to not like. It’s not their fault they are newer and more modern then the old east coast cities. Old does not mean better, it just means old. Also Houston is like 4 times bigger than Boston, with multiple skylines. Shout out to Houston, your Metrorail is nice.

NY is big dog, Chi is right there, Seattle and SanFrancisco, could go anyway, both have the natural beauty, built on steep hills, and on the water but that’s not all. Seattle has more height. Miami is coming up, L.A is in there, Philly, I mean seriously Boston is just not cutting it. If you are from Boston rep your town, nothing wrong with that, but know your limitations, comparing an unknown, nothing to it skyline to one of the most famous in the world is a joke.

I live in Los Angeles and Seattle, I’ve been all over the US. I’m originally from Seattle, and I can tell you New York has it hands down with the wow factor, and I can even give the Chi props or San Fran, but Seattle is one of the Best and most stunning in the US with that same wow factor. 2nd only to NY IMO.

L.A.’s skyline is growing, and will be something special in the coming years. It is already very underrated. The collection of buildings in L.A. flat out look sexy.

SEATTLE

Nuff Said!

Old 10-22-2007, 08:40 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monumental1 View Post

Just look at the results of this poll. (Although Atlanta rated ahead of Seattle is crazy) Not a bad city though.
Exactly! Thanks for making my point for me. This poll is an absolute farce.Atlantas unnecesssary eyesorish height serves as a detriment to their overall downtown, it looks like it was put together by a couple middle-school drafting students.All those 8 lane highways leading to Houston,Atl,Dall 9-5 glass houses. No thanks. I'll take Philly and Boston's functioning classic skyline cityscapes every single day.

Quote:
A little FYI to school you a bit on Seattle’s long reputation as the Manhattan of the west coast with height and buildings.
OMG! No you didn't. You didnt just go there, did you girlfriend.

Without Mt Ranier and that Space Needle trinket thingy, I'd say it's more comparable to Wilmington DE than NYC.

There are at least 15 to 20 hi-rise projects going up right now as we speak 50 planned. The construction is all going on in the part of Downtown that had not been built up as of yet, making the skyline extend and even bigger than what it is.

And of course development in Boston and Philly the 4th and 5th wealthiest metro's in the USA is non-existent.

Quote:
All of Downtown Boston would only be a neighborhood in Downtown Seattle.
Acid,temporary psychosis,delusions, Jack Daniels?

Quote:
Philly’s skyline is much better than Boston’s in my opinion. So is Houston’s and Atlanta’s the cities you seem to not like. It’s not their fault they are newer and more modern then the old east coast cities. Old does not mean better, it just means old. Also Houston is like 4 times bigger than Boston, with multiple skylines. Shout out to Houston, your Metrorail is nice.
Downtown Boston and Philly cityscapes are unmatched except for NYC-Chi-SF. Again those misplaced glass boxes sprouting up in hOuston-atl-dallas surrounded by acres and acres of surface parking lots are an abomination.

They may look cool barreling down the highway from 10 miles out- but close up and personal they are sickly looking, city destroting,albatrosses.

Seattle- an ok skyline from most angles.Looks good in postcards especially with way way off Mt Ranier in the backdrop. Way too hyped imo.

Pittsburgh- if Moses came down off of Mt Washington, he you wouldn't know if he were in Pittsburgh or Louisville. Pass.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:06 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
WTF!?!?!?!? You're so right

ATL is not better than LA or NYC or Chicago or Miami or Houston or Seattle or even Tampa. I hate ATL. It is the most overrated skyline in the world and it's not even good.

Um, thats L.A. dude. And I agree, someone seriously hacked this site and gave ATL all those votes. Either that or its just a bunch of homers who have no sense of what a good skyline and architecture really is.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBeavs View Post
I voted for San Francisco, hands down. I can't believe anyone voted for Chicago, or any city other than San Francisco or NYC. The Chicago skyline is rather ugly, and it lacks in character. The stupid antenna things on top of the Sears Tower are just plain hideous. Also, to whoever here said Chicago is the second city, you really must be fooling yourself. That honor goes, without a doubt, to Los Angeles.
hahahaha

hahahahhahahahahaaaa

Oh....boy... hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Old 10-22-2007, 01:33 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustbeltRocks View Post
Umm, Chicago blows New York out of the water in terms of height, anymore. Not only does it have the tallest building in the hemisphere, and soon the second tallest building in the world, it has a total of 89 buildings over 500 feet and counting. Manhattan wins in sheer number of buildings, with some really notable ones, but Chicago is the inventor and innovator of the modern skyscraper.

Now, Dallas cannot compare to Chicago and New York or Hong Kong, those are the big three.
Ummm....Don't Say Ummm... as if its obviousy because people have different opinions,For Example, i think NY blows Chicago out of the water, but hey! Thats just my opinon and its isn't right or wrong. and it really isn't about numbers, its about whats pleasing to the eye. And it really doesn't matter who invented it, its about how it looks. chicago may have invented the skyscraper,But NY is where it flourished and is more known internationally for them

Old 10-22-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
chicago may have invented the skyscraper,But NY is where it flourished and is more known internationally for them
I wouldnt go that far. Chicago is as equally known for its skyscrapers as NYC is.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:59 PM

288 posts, read 1,329,034 times
Exactly! Thanks for making my point for me. This poll is an absolute farce.Atlantas unnecesssary eyesorish height serves as a detriment to their overall downtown, it looks like it was put together by a couple middle-school drafting students.All those 8 lane highways leading to Houston,Atl,Dall 9-5 glass houses. No thanks.

Quit hating’ and wining like a school girl, sweetheart, over cities bigger, taller, and more modern than Bean town. Or stay away from street pharmaceuticals; they are seriously making you delusional.

The mayor of Boston on national TV in the worlds series in the 7th inning stretch would even say Seattle, has a better skyline than Boston. I can’t believe anyone of the human race that breathes clean oxygen on a regular basis would think otherwise. LOL……..you are hilarious.

I'll take Philly and Boston's functioning classic skyline cityscapes every single day.

LOL............You could show almost anyone a picture of Boston and they would even know what it was. There is not one building anyone can name.

OMG! No you didn't. You didnt just go there, did you girlfriend.

What are you like the forum homo? Let's keep it on subject here.

Without Mt Ranier and that Space Needle trinket thingy, I'd say it's more comparable to Wilmington DE than NYC.

OH foolish child. Here you go

Seattle without Mt Rainier or that Space Needle thingy......One Word.......Amazing.

I know I know it's still not fair right? I have to take out the water too. That' next. Well here you go. Seattle with no mountain, no space needle and no water. Still runs circles around Boston. Seattle trully is a gem.

And of course development in Boston and Philly the 4th and 5th wealthiest metro's in the USA is non-existent.

LOL.........who told you that one.

Philly is the 7th or 8th poorest city in the US (Suberbs something ells) City limits......very poor.

Boston isn't even in the top 10 wealthiest cities in the US.

Top ten wealthiest in U.S. are

1. San Jose, CA
2. Anchorage, Alaska
3. San Francisco, CA
4. Virginia Beach, VA
5. San Diego, CA
6. Anaheim, CA
7. Raleigh, NC
8. Seattle, WA
9. Washington, D.C.
10. Honolulu, Hawaii

You understand that Seattle is home to the richest man in the world.

Bill Gates....Paul Allen...etc etc.... some of the biggest companies, microsoft, starbucks, washington mutual, nintendo, amazon, to name a few.

Seattle has plenty of wealth, and it shows, just by looking at the city itself.

Downtown Boston and Philly cityscapes are unmatched except for NYC-Chi-SF. ........we all know Boston isn't of the level of Seattle, now you are mentioning it with the likes of NY. Haaaaaaa!

Again those misplaced glass boxes sprouting up in hOuston-atl-dallas surrounded by acres and acres of surface parking lots are an abomination.

They may look cool barreling down the highway from 10 miles out- but close up and personal they are sickly looking, city destroting,albatrosses.

They still look better than Boston. (That's pretty sad)

Seattle- an ok skyline from most angles.Looks good in postcards especially with way way off Mt Ranier in the backdrop. Way too hyped imo.

The reason Seattle is on post cards, and commercials and TV shows is because it looks so beautiful. To say it doesn't you have to be a hater, simple as that. You would have to say NY is over hyped or Chicago and so on. Which is just as ridiculous.

PS who ever hacked the page for Atlanta, do the same for Boston and give them some sympathy votes so rainrock can feel like someone cares.

One more of Seattle for those who just can't get enough of pure beauty

Old 10-22-2007, 02:45 PM

256 posts, read 1,403,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I agree. NYC has no amazing architecture or breathtaking scenery. It's a concrete jungle with tall buildings, nothing that makes you take a second look. Here's a view of the NYC skyline:

Nothing that impresses me. Now the Denver skyline is breathtaking, the mountains really set it off.
100% agreed..... San Francisco is nice because of the bridge and everything I love it. But Id have to say that Denver skyline is beautiful

Old 10-22-2007, 02:48 PM

960 posts, read 1,687,198 times
What is up with the poll numbers? Is someone fixing it for Atlanta? It doesn't seem reasonable.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:51 PM

256 posts, read 1,403,674 times
San Francisco will soon have the tallest building in the US when the transbay terminal towers open up 13 new skyscrapers with one ranging upwards from 1200ft+.... sorry just thought that was an interesting fact. hopefully this doesnt ruin our beautiful skyline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.