Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 12:25 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylehny View Post
Houston is not cosmopolitan.

Houston is not the MOST cosmopolitan would be better in my opinion, but that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 07:06 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,679 times
I hear a lot of "don't put Houston on the same level as NYC, LA, Chi, and SF." Yeah well don't put NYC on the same level as any of em. Ignorance is bliss.

New York, Toronto, and London are the three most diverse cities in the world and that's a studied fact. Yeah I said Toronto... Easy Canadian immigration, close to the American border makes it an immigration hot spot.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:15 AM

88 posts, read 269,376 times
I feel bad for Houston and most Houstoners on this thread because I don't think they ever wanted to compare themselves to New York, SF, or Chicago. Houston is very racially diverse and has one of the youngest populations for major cities so I can see the diverse part. For the cosmopolitan part I would say that Houston has cosmopolitan aspects but realistically everyone knows it is not on the level of NYC, London, Tokyo, etc. but that doesn't mean its not an amazing city.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:18 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTLkid754 View Post
I feel bad for Houston and most Houstoners on this thread because I don't think they ever wanted to compare themselves to New York, SF, or Chicago. Houston is very racially diverse and has one of the youngest populations for major cities so I can see the diverse part. For the cosmopolitan part I would say that Houston has cosmopolitan aspects but realistically everyone knows it is not on the level of NYC, London, Tokyo, etc. but that doesn't mean its not an amazing city.
Tokyo isn't as diverse as Houston. What am I the only dude who knows this? NYC, Toronto, and London are the 3 most diverse cities in the world.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:34 AM

88 posts, read 269,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
Tokyo isn't as diverse as Houston. What am I the only dude who knows this? NYC, Toronto, and London are the 3 most diverse cities in the world.
I never said Tokyo was more diverse than Houston, I said Tokyo is more cosmopolitan than Houston. Sorry if I worded it poorly.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:48 AM

129 posts, read 368,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
Have you been to NY, Chicago, or LA? I have never been to LA but I assure you Houston is not in any way, shape or form on the level of NY or Chicago YET.
I've been to Chicago many many times. NYC only once. And I lived the early part of my life in LA.

Have you been to Houston? Chicago and NYC are DIFFERENT....Houston has its own thing going on. Im not gonna sit here and boost H-town..it is what it is.
Go Wikipedia Houston or something. Houston sits in the top 5 of EVERY category there is. Houston has 6 million people and about 100k to 150k people moving here EVERY year...dwell on it for a little bit. Houston completes the BIG FOUR of this country...thats the end of it...peace!

Old 01-01-2009, 09:23 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
How did this occur?

I'd just advise looking up the definition of cosmopolitan before anyone bothers to actually argue that statement

Old 01-01-2009, 11:39 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldbfree007 View Post
Go Wikipedia Houston or something. Houston sits in the top 5 of EVERY category there is. Houston has 6 million people and about 100k to 150k people moving here EVERY year...dwell on it for a little bit. Houston completes the BIG FOUR of this country...thats the end of it...peace!
If you wanted real information, Wikipedia is the last place on earth you'd go to. Anyone can post anything there. It doesn't have to be verified or, for that matter, it doesn't even have to be true. Being at the top of a category on Wikipedia only proves that someone who loves their city put that stuff there. And, as you yourself said, that's the end of it!

Old 01-01-2009, 11:46 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,094,660 times
Houston does not compete with the big four it has a lone way to go A loooooooooooooooonggg way to go to catch up NYC status

Old 01-01-2009, 11:47 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
Houston does not compete with the big four it has a lone way to go A loooooooooooooooonggg way to go to catch up NYC status
No city can compete to NYC. However, Houston isn't that far behind Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.