Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City where you feel there is an inferiority complex?
NYC 25 8.68%
LA 23 7.99%
CHICAGO 81 28.13%
HOUSTON 84 29.17%
ATLANTA 61 21.18%
PHILLIE 44 15.28%
DETROIT 40 13.89%
DALLAS-FORTWORTH 42 14.58%
BAY AREA (San francisco, Oakland, San Jose), CA 16 5.56%
MILWAUKEE 40 13.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 288. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 10:04 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times

Advertisements

Thanks! You just proved why this poll is so accurate.

Good job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 10:06 AM

196 posts, read 992,943 times
I'm not crazy about Atlanta but it hosting the Olympics gives it some cachet

Old 01-09-2009, 10:06 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Thanks! You just proved why this poll is so accurate.

Good job.
Well, I try my hardest

Old 01-09-2009, 10:11 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Personally I don't care how the poll turns-out. The top two most voted cities shouldn't even be on here, because of how underrated and laid-back they are. Houston is in no way inferior to any city, if we were we'd be like Atlanta building tons of skyscrapers and wannabe Rodeo drives trying to keep up with the big boys. Houston has been known to just go with the flow and not rush things, that is exactly why we are doing so good in this type of crisis.

I'm not trying to be hard on ATL, but lets keep it real. ATL and DAL are inferior to cities like CHI ,LA, and NYC. You guys go around claiming to be "capitals of the south" or "LA/NYC of the south". Building up too many condos, but yet hardly anyone is buying them, and trying to make your cores urban, but yet only a small amount of people are living within the city. This is what I call inferior and look where you got yourselves trying to "keep up with the joneses".
Fifty three percent of respondants voted for Atlanta to be capital of the South -- that's out of 357 people who participated. Atlanta is the "perceived" capital fo the South. It just is. I perceived that way growing up in L.A., and most of the Californians I talk to see it that way too. No offense, but back in the 80s/90s, we barely knew Houston was a city. Dallas we knew .. Houston? Not so much.

Can Atlanta keep up with LA, NYC or Chicago? NO. It doesn't try to, neither on this forum or in real life. I've heard NYC of the South thrown out there, and I laughed and laughed -- a local who has been here since 1984 explained to me that came from an old ad campaign that was widely scoffed at by Atlantans and then discontinued. Atlantans who say LA of the South mean it negatively, kind of like a warning of what will happen if Atlanta doesn't get its sprawl under control.

I'm not trying to get into a Atlanta vs. Houston fight here. They seem similar to me, and Houston might even win a head to head contest. What's so obnoxious though (growing more so by the day) is how people from Houston think their city is number four, that its a global player, that there's NYC, Chicago, LA -- then Houston -- then all the other U.S. cities. Sorry. There are at least a dozen U.S. cities that have more presence and name recognition than Houston.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:13 AM

Thanks, WestCobb.

So refreshing to hear a voice of reason here!

Old 01-09-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
omg! your still at it!

how about you just make one long post about everything negative about Houston and then be done with it. you will save yourself a lot of time from having to make post after post after post about why Houston is a 3rd tier city.
I have a better idea. Why don't you go on the Houston forum, let out a huge burst of ass air and you can all sniff it in and agree that it's the fourth sweetest smelling fart in the country?

Old 01-09-2009, 10:18 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Fifty three percent of respondants voted for Atlanta to be capital of the South -- that's out of 357 people who participated. Atlanta is the "perceived" capital fo the South. It just is. I perceived that way growing up in L.A., and most of the Californians I talk to see it that way too. No offense, but back in the 80s/90s, we barely knew Houston was a city. Dallas we knew .. Houston? Not so much.

Can Atlanta keep up with LA, NYC or Chicago? NO. It doesn't try to, neither on this forum or in real life. I've heard NYC of the South thrown out there, and I laughed and laughed -- a local who has been here since 1984 explained to me that came from an old ad campaign that was widely scoffed at by Atlantans and then discontinued. Atlantans who say LA of the South mean it negatively, kind of like a warning of what will happen if Atlanta doesn't get its sprawl under control.

I'm not trying to get into a Atlanta vs. Houston fight here. They seem similar to me, and Houston might even win a head to head contest. What's so obnoxious though (growing more so by the day) is how people from Houston think their city is number four, that its a global player, that there's NYC, Chicago, LA -- then Houston -- then all the other U.S. cities. Sorry. There are at least a dozen U.S. cities that have more presence and name recognition than Houston.
According to history books and the census bureau, were number 4. Were a Global Player because we have presence in international countries (Africa, Asia, Middle East, and South America). It is NYC,LA,CHI than Hou, because once agian, we have the 4th largest population. Were home to Shell, NASA, TMC, one of the largest ports,etc. We have a presence, you just aren't educated enough to know that assuming from your post.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
According to history books and the census bureau, were number 4. Were a Global Player because we have presence in international countries (Africa, Asia, Middle East, and South America). It is NYC,LA,CHI than Hou, because once agian, we have the 4th largest population. Were home to Shell, NASA, TMC, one of the largest ports,etc
You seem like a fairly reasonable person, as Houston boosters go. Let me get this straight and get this on record -- you believe that there are three categories of U.S. cities: 1) LA, NYC, Chicago, 2) Houston, 3) all the rest? Please don't come at me with the fourth largest because we're talking about cities here .. Atlanta is actually slightly more dense than Houston in terms of square miles to person, and Atlanta city proper doesn't feel like a city in many of its areas. As far as NASA, Shell, large port .. ok, I get it. Houston is important, but other cities are important too for different reasons. So do you hold the "three categories of U.S. cities" theory? If you do, you're perception is so far off base of most Americans I've spoken to from every single region of the U.S. the word "delusional" may be applicable.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
According to history books and the census bureau, were number 4. Were a Global Player because we have presence in international countries (Africa, Asia, Middle East, and South America). It is NYC,LA,CHI than Hou, because once agian, we have the 4th largest population. Were home to Shell, NASA, TMC, one of the largest ports,etc. We have a presence, you just aren't educated enough to know that assuming from your post.
Artificial bounderies are the ONLY reason Houston is 4th in population. You are NOT the fourth largest metro, and that is what counts. To claim that Houston is the 4th largest city is really nothing more than a shell game, and we all know it.

You are also not the only city that has an international presence on multiple continents. You may be the only city that does however without having nonstop flights to all of them.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:32 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Little Rock, AR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.