Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Out of the Big 3 Metro's which one would you Live if cost of Living isn't a Issue?
New York(Greater New York) 74 45.12%
Los Angeles (Greater LA) 47 28.66%
Chicago (ChicagoLand) 62 37.80%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 06:33 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times

Advertisements

I love living in metro NY. I'm 24 and just bought a house on Long Island with my fiance. Only 10 miles outside the city, so I have the best of suburbs and city at the same time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 06:35 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeneverywheretwice View Post
I don't know if you've have ever been to Central Park. But, Chicago's Lincoln Park is the 2nd most visited city park in the country behind Central Park. According to the Trust For Public Land(tpl.org), Central Park avg. around 25mil visitors a year and Lincoln Park 20mil a year.

Actually Lincoln Park and Central Park are similar in some ways. Lincoln Park is vast, but not as vast as Central Park because after all , our entire lakefront is parkland. Lincoln Park contains the Lincoln Park Zoo(1868, still free), Nobeart Nature Museum, Chicago History Museum, ponds(with paddle boating), lagoons(for row teams to practice), harbors(with yacht clubs), beaches(including a dog beach, and an outdoor Crunch Gym), a tennis center, golf course, driving range, miniature golf, soccer field, basketball courts, sledding hill, dog parks, world famous bike/blading/running/walking lakefront path, with outdoor chess center, tons of vendors, restaurants, showers, sailboat/canoes/waverunner/bike/ rentals, just to name a few.

Are you sure you've even been to Lincoln Park?; let alone Central Park. You do know that Lincoln Park(the park not the neighborhood) extends past Montrose Harbor/beach, don't you? I don't know about you but I'll take Lincoln Park over Central Park any day of the week, especially in the Summer.
My god....sensitive much?

I wasn't dissing Lincoln Park at all - I LIVE 500 FEET FROM LINCOLN PARK. I go through the park constantly on a daily basis in the summer, and have been doing so for years.

I was just saying there's nothing like Central Park in Chicago as in the massive natural park directly in the middle of town boxed in on every side by huge skyscrapers. I think Lincoln Park is amazing, and it stretches forever (I live around Marine and Buena), but I would think it more amazing if it was more than 1,000-2,000 feet wide at most places. It's very skinny, but the lakefront is absolutely AMAZING up through the whole north side since every single bit of it was preserved as a well groomed park.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:59 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post

I wasn't dissing Lincoln Park at all - I LIVE 500 FEET FROM LINCOLN PARK. I go through the park constantly on a daily basis in the summer, and have been doing so for years.

I was just saying there's nothing like Central Park in Chicago as in the massive natural park directly in the middle of town boxed in on every side by huge skyscrapers. I think Lincoln Park is amazing, and it stretches forever (I live around Marine and Buena), but I would think it more amazing if it was more than 1,000-2,000 feet wide at most places. It's very skinny, but the lakefront is absolutely AMAZING up through the whole north side since every single bit of it was preserved as a well groomed park.

Chicago606 nice picture. Trully a picture is worth a thousand words!

BTW - can that possibly be a small cruise ship "docked" in the middle of the sand at the bottom right of the picture? I suppose it is a building but it certainly looks like one of the old Great Lakes steamers!

Old 01-21-2009, 07:41 PM

187 posts, read 524,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post

I understand, I didn't intend to sound snippy. I love Central Park, I just wouldn't be caught dead there after dark. LOL!

Old 01-21-2009, 07:54 PM

187 posts, read 524,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Chicago606 nice picture. Trully a picture is worth a thousand words!

BTW - can that possibly be a small cruise ship "docked" in the middle of the sand at the bottom right of the picture? I suppose it is a building but it certainly looks like one of the old Great Lakes steamers!
Actually, that's the North Ave. Beach beach house originally built in 1939. It was completely rebuilt in 1999 due to deterioration. Your right, it is suppose to resemble a steamer. It serves as the training center for the city lifeguards, recreation and refreshment concessions, public washroom/beach showers, a community room and the rooftop restaurant Castaways.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,773,126 times
Definitely NYC.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:46 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Does Chicago have anything comparable to Central Park?
Grant Park, the park that divides The Loop business district and the lakeshore. I fell in love with Chicago looking at the skyscrapers on E Solidarity from the Shedd Aquarium between that and the Adler Planetarium.

(That's the same park where Obama held his Election Night celebration party.)

Honestly I couldn't live in New York with the decaying infrastructure, the grime, and the claustrophobia. L.A. is what Houston would look like with more people plus better weather than New York (no snow!) and Chicago is the cleaner and more scenic version of New York City.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:56 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,687,834 times
I love and live in GREATER NYC

Old 01-22-2009, 09:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,773,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Grant Park, the park that divides The Loop business district and the lakeshore. I fell in love with Chicago looking at the skyscrapers on E Solidarity from the Shedd Aquarium between that and the Adler Planetarium.

(That's the same park where Obama held his Election Night celebration party.)

Honestly I couldn't live in New York with the decaying infrastructure, the grime, and the claustrophobia. L.A. is what Houston would look like with more people plus better weather than New York (no snow!) and Chicago is the cleaner and more scenic version of New York City.

um, no.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:16 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s63 View Post

um, no.
Chicago is definitely cleaner than New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.