Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 12:18 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,189,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Kansas City is actually growing as is Minneapolis. Kansas City has little appeal as a place to live unless someone is from the KC metro area or one of the rural adjacent areas and moves to the big city to find work. While there are some people from other regions of the country that call KC home, I've met far fewer transplants from other regions here than any other metro area I've lived.
All of those low performers urban areas are growing...as they have been since their founding.

This is a wish list, although it obviously mirrors trends in actual moving. I'd give anything to move to Amsterdam, but it's probably not going to happen soon...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 01:10 PM

418 posts, read 1,280,710 times
Quote:
People are leaving the Northeaster region because they are overtaxed and the cost of living, utilities, insurance and doing business is extremely high except in a few of the rural areas of the region.

Kansas City is actually growing as is Minneapolis. Kansas City has little appeal as a place to live unless someone is from the KC metro area or one of the rural adjacent areas and moves to the big city to find work. While there are some people from other regions of the country that call KC home, I've met far fewer transplants from other regions here than any other metro area I've lived.
I find it unsurprising that KC is the list. I also find it unfortunate. KC has a lot to offer. A low cost of living, a decent amount of companies for jobs. A downtown that is growing, and a unique the short history.

It is improving all the time. But when people think of where they want to go, its not often they think of KC, or even the midwest (unless its Chicago)

Unfortunately KC has really bad sprawl and no public transit system...

Old 01-29-2009, 01:21 PM

979 posts, read 2,093,273 times
I'm not surprised to see people moving to Sacramento. Geographically, it has so much to offer. To the west there is San Francisco and wine country, to the East is the mountains, snow, and to the south is Yosemite. Sacramento itself has excellent weather, except for a few months in the summer when its scorching hot. The nightlife and art scene is decent. Plus, its a lot cheaper than the other major metros in the state.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:27 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
Quote:
People are leaving the Northeaster region because they are overtaxed and the cost of living, utilities, insurance and doing business is extremely high except in a few of the rural areas of the region.

I completely agree with you. KC as well as most cities in the Lower Midwest do not appeal at all to transplants from other parts of the country. I have traveled to many parts of the country and have found KC to be lacking. I think many people stay in KC due to family, a good job, or they just don't travel that much to see what else is out there. If I had to move back to the Midwest again I would choose either Minneapolis or Chicago without a doubt. Those two cities have much more to offer overall.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:14 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,287,563 times
I'm a little surprised of Denver being so high, I'd think it would be more in the middle of the list.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:38 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,863,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
That is a crappy analysis by that survey. Are they seriously trying to convince us that people would rather live in Phoenix, Portland, Sacramento, Orlando and Tampa over NYC, Boston and Chicago or even Houston? HAHA, ROTFLMAO!!!!
Makes sense to me. With the exception of Houston, those cities have above-average costs of living and these days, cost of living is a BIG factor.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
There are some interesting some of the results from different categories such as city preference based on income, education, age, party affiliation, ideology, etc...

http://pewsocialtrends.org/assets/pd...tisfaction.pdf

Only 14% of people who make over $100K want to live in LA vs 33% who make less than $30K. So it looks like not even wealthier people want to live in LA.

Both Denver and San Diego beat out SF, Boston, and Seattle for the percentage of college grads who prefer those cities, which kind of surprised me given each cities reputation.

A slightly higher % of democrats preferred San Diego over San Francisco, another surprise given each cities political repuatations.

A higher percentage of republicans wanted to live with like minded people compared to democrats, 35% vs 24%.

pretty interesting report when you look at it....
What kind of rep does Denver have? It has long had one of the highest rates of college educated adults.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:33 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What kind of rep does Denver have? It has long had one of the highest rates of college educated adults.
I guess I was thinking more about the reputation the other cities have. SF, Boston, and Seattle imo are seen kind of havens of intellectualism and where college grads like to relocate, at least more so than Denver or SD imo. SD kind of has a reputation of people not being very smart despite it being in the Top 10 cities for % of people with college degrees. Not that Denver has a bad rep or anything, just figured some other cities might be more popular with that demographic. But 'Sweetclimber' could be onto something, those other cities tend to be saturated with talent so maybe college grads are looking for a less competitive and cheaper city. Plus if you like the outdoors those two have very good reputations for that.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:41 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,305,683 times
One thing to keep in mind here-- this list ranks where people say they want to live, not where people are actually moving to in the largest numbers.

I am surprised that Denver makes number 1. And being born and raised there and wanting to come back, I am a little disturbed.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:44 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,931,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Considering the strong preference for warm-weather cities, I was thinking that the survey had probably been conducted in the dead of winter. Turns out the survey was done from Oct. 3-19, 2008.

Umm, I wouldn't say there's a strong preference for warm-weather cities. Plenty of people in the north like the cold. They move because it's getting too expensive, mostly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.