Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 08:45 AM

694 posts, read 2,652,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Definitely Seattle without a question comes to mind. Yes they are at sea level and have Mount Rainier soaking up the weather, but still...Seattle is the northernmost major city in the United States and except for this extraordinary winter hardly ever sees any snowfall, much less temperatures below freezing. Meanwhile, Spokane which is not too far east sees the types of frigid snowy winters you would expect to see in a place that far north. Boise is another city...it's winters are surprisingly mild...only 20 inches of snowfall on average...that's still a decent amount, but very light for a place that far north
Your right. I'm going on my third winter up here and still shake
my head at how mild it is. The only time we bother with
gloves or a hat is when we hit the mountains for some snow play.
In fact this year I'm actually missing the rain... way to dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 12:20 PM

17 posts, read 71,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Oh boo friggin hoo.... Chicago is not "really, REALLY cold with tons of snow". Did you miss the 57 degree temps on Saturday? How about 61 on Tuesday? No? Hmmmm. Tons of sunshine this winter? Did you miss that, too?

And seeing that Denver almost gets TWICE as much snow as Chicago, how would you classify Denver's snow levels?

And if you cant deal with a little Chicago cold, youre not deserving of your user name. "SheRa"? Should be "SheWuss".
And did YOU miss the entire month of December here in Chicago? Or did you miss the first half of January? Or how about last winter entirely? Or, did you miss the fact that I acknowledged that "everyone has different definitions of 'horrible,'" etc.

I think most reasonable people would agree with the statement "Chicago winters are very cold." I was (quite obviously) looking for places (such as Denver, which people have pointed out) that are, surprisingly, not as bad as you'd expect them to be.

Additionally, there is a difference between "being able to deal with" weather, and "liking" weather. I can deal with the cold, I just hate it. Likewise, I can deal with troll-like *******s, I just hate them. Remember that.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:44 PM

501 posts, read 1,429,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Why does everyone say that its mild cause there city is 50 degrees today, so what about the rest of the winter when the majority of the time its cloudy and cold, after all it is Feb. and winter is getting over with with everyday that passes.

I have heard that DC is mild, I wouldnt have thought so but I guess it is.
Because, over where I am, in January, it could be (17-20 F) cold but it was pretty sunshine filled cold that the sun's tiny little heat helps tease you a little. Just bundle up real well and you can survive. True, we had several snow days but it wasn't extreme or anything. Only a few days where it was cloudy but most of the month was just sunny sunny SUNNY... O.o There was only one day of rain. Kaput.

February.. Ha!! Around mid-40s today. A clear blue sky out my window. The sunshine was so bright that I keep forgetting to get my sunglasses before driving. It makes January the only winter month over here. December was too mild in 40-60 degrees enough to not be considered cold at all. So, we're almost almooost back to Decemberish weather where it is mild. Then, when we get to March... I welcome thee rain.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:44 PM

542 posts, read 1,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Definitely Seattle without a question comes to mind. Yes they are at sea level and have Mount Rainier soaking up the weather, but still...Seattle is the northernmost major city in the United States and except for this extraordinary winter hardly ever sees any snowfall, much less temperatures below freezing. Meanwhile, Spokane which is not too far east sees the types of frigid snowy winters you would expect to see in a place that far north. Boise is another city...it's winters are surprisingly mild...only 20 inches of snowfall on average...that's still a decent amount, but very light for a place that far north.
Elevation, protection from the mountains, and proximity to water play a major role.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:52 PM

456 posts, read 1,577,163 times
Denver has very mild winters. I was surprised at that upon moving here. However, it can swing from one extreme to the next very quickly. It was 65 the other day then a chance of snow the next.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:54 PM

456 posts, read 1,577,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I don't know if I could live in Denver. The warm days in the winter would be nice, but I don't think I could deal with the inconsistency. I would get my hopes up and think Spring sprung but then it would get cold.
It makes things interesting.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:27 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,029,225 times
I just noticed that some of the trees are budding here, Im so glad spring is on its way.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:29 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,029,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Memory View Post
Because, over where I am, in January, it could be (17-20 F) cold but it was pretty sunshine filled cold that the sun's tiny little heat helps tease you a little. Just bundle up real well and you can survive. True, we had several snow days but it wasn't extreme or anything. Only a few days where it was cloudy but most of the month was just sunny sunny SUNNY... O.o There was only one day of rain. Kaput.

February.. Ha!! Around mid-40s today. A clear blue sky out my window. The sunshine was so bright that I keep forgetting to get my sunglasses before driving. It makes January the only winter month over here. December was too mild in 40-60 degrees enough to not be considered cold at all. So, we're almost almooost back to Decemberish weather where it is mild. Then, when we get to March... I welcome thee rain.

the sun shines like that it seems all year round here and sunglasses are a natural part of your wardrobe,as soon as you get in your car put those glasses on no matter what month it is cause it can be so bright that not even your sunglasses and your visor down will be enough.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:40 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,398,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katmoney View Post
Denver has very mild winters. I was surprised at that upon moving here. However, it can swing from one extreme to the next very quickly. It was 65 the other day then a chance of snow the next.
Denver gets tons of snowfall and over 60 inches of snow accumulation a year. Even if it gets warm again quickly and gets cold again and gets warm again, Denver's winters are what I would call moderate. Not mild by a long shot. Denver can still get very cold and snowy...how else would so much snow accumulate if Denver didn't get below freezing a lot?

Old 02-09-2009, 03:49 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,717,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Denver gets tons of snowfall and over 60 inches of snow accumulation a year. Even if it gets warm again quickly and gets cold again and gets warm again, Denver's winters are what I would call moderate. Not mild by a long shot. Denver can still get very cold and snowy...how else would so much snow accumulate if Denver didn't get below freezing a lot?
Denver gets these big amounts of snow in snowstorms though. The snow doesn't accumulate over time like it does in the NE and Chicago. It melts within a few days when that reliable sunshine comes back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.