Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 11:25 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,093,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnother View Post
There is a considerable amount of snowfall, but it doesn't stick that often.
It sticks often enough...not as often as a lot of the Midwest though. It's not so much that it doesn't stick that often, but that it just melts faster because we don't stay in a deep freeze like the Upper Midwest. For example...we once got 7 inches...within 2 days it had completely melted. It does the same thing in all the other cities I mentioned. In roughly 2/3 of Missouri, 2/3 of Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio, the snow sticks about as often as in St. Louis, maybe only slightly more. About 50-100 miles south of the latitude of the Great Lakes, thaws happen quite often. Including in St. Louis, but any of these thaws last only briefly and it quickly goes back to a cold snap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 11:36 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,003,171 times
Saint Louis winters are surprisingly mild and short

Old 12-27-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Saint Louis winters are surprisingly mild and short
I'm pretty sure I remember reading in a post that you only lived there for a short period. That's not nearly enough to get a decent perspective. As far as them being short...they usually start in late November and can last into March. That's not too short. That said, for being only 200 miles south of Chicago, St. Louis, and all the other cities I mentioned are surprisingly mild in the winter, and surprisingly hot in the summer, although Iowa and Nebraska get every bit as hot and humid.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:43 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I'm pretty sure I remember reading in a post that you only lived there for a short period. That's not nearly enough to get a decent perspective. As far as them being short...they usually start in late November and can last into March. That's not too short.
I Disagree, St Louis has a mild winter, only 25 inches of snow, and probably 80% of that sticks so thats only 20 inches of Snow.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I remember reading in a post that you only lived there for a short period. That's not nearly enough to get a decent perspective. As far as them being short...they usually start in late November and can last into March. That's not too short.
Two years is long enough to get an idea. I also visited the place almost every winter for over 10 years. Yes it can get cold there. but cold snaps are short and a sub-freezing cold day can easily be followed by 60-70 degree temperatures.

I've also noticed a huge reality distortion front that regularly moves through the area.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I Disagree, St Louis has a mild winter, only 25 inches of snow, and probably 80% of that sticks so thats only 20 inches of Snow.
Where are you getting those numbers exactly? At any rate, that sounds like a moderate winter to me. That's not too far off from severe actually if you added about 10 more inches of snow onto that total. And an 80% stick rate is fairly decent. And if snowfall is solely what defines a severe winter...what about cold? St. Louis gets plenty of that. Length? Pretty respectable. However, we are not on the extreme end of any of these, nor at the extremely low end. You're from Boston, so naturally you will think St. Louis winters are mild...however, I'm not sure if you're aware just how far on the extreme end of things Boston is. The general perception seems to be that everything in New England, the Great Lakes, and Northern Plains are bad winters, and anything not as bad isn't bad. Makes sense if you're from those areas....a rational person would say there is a zone where winters are not as bad, but not great either. St. Louis, Indy, KC, Columbus, and Cincy fit that to a T. Then you have winters where rarely anything ever happens...snow, hardly ever gets cold, and winter is there and gone in the blink of an eye...those are mild winters..essentially to where you don't even have winter.

The southernmost city I can think of with a truly severe winter is Pittsburgh. Any place where the snowfall is 30 inches or greater, and that hardly ever thaws...that is a severe winter. then you have a place that gets between 15-30 inches and are cold with frequent but very brief thaws...that's moderate. then you get mild...winters that generally stay above 32, rarely get sticking snow, and last for a few months. There needs to be an additional category here...just like culture, weathers have a transition zone that is tall in terms of latitudes.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:19 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Where are you getting those numbers exactly? At any rate, that sounds like a moderate winter to me. That's not too far off from severe actually if you added about 10 more inches of snow onto that total. And an 80% stick rate is fairly decent. And if snowfall is solely what defines a severe winter...what about cold? St. Louis gets plenty of that. Length? Pretty respectable. However, we are not on the extreme end of any of these, nor at the extremely low end. You're from Boston, so naturally you will think St. Louis winters are mild...however, I'm not sure if you're aware just how far on the extreme end of things Boston is. The general perception seems to be that everything in New England, the Great Lakes, and Northern Plains are bad winters, and anything not as bad isn't bad. Makes sense if you're from those areas....a rational person would say there is a zone where winters are not as bad, but not great either. St. Louis, Indy, KC, Columbus, and Cincy fit that to a T. Then you have winters where rarely anything ever happens...snow, hardly ever gets cold, and winter is there and gone in the blink of an eye...those are mild winters..essentially to where you don't even have winter.

The southernmost city I can think of with a truly severe winter is Pittsburgh. Any place where the snowfall is 30 inches or greater, and that hardly ever thaws...that is a severe winter. then you have a place that gets between 15-30 inches and are cold with frequent but very brief thaws...that's moderate. then you get mild...winters that generally stay above 32, rarely get sticking snow, and last for a few months. There needs to be an additional category here...just like culture, weathers have a transition zone that is tall in terms of latitudes.
New England gets less Snowfall than most of the Great Lakes, and Rockies, which get upwards of 100 inches Vs our 45-55 average.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Two years is long enough to get an idea. I also visited the place almost every winter for over 10 years. Yes it can get cold there. but cold snaps are short and a sub-freezing cold day can easily be followed by 60-70 degree temperatures.

I've also noticed a huge reality distortion front that regularly moves through the area.
Considering how well liked you are by people in the St. Louis forum, and how much you put down St. Louis at any given opportunity, it wouldn't surprise me at all that you accuse it of reality distortion...you're the one distorting reality. Two years is never long enough to get an idea of any place. We are perfectly capable of getting two winters that aren't bad consecutively. I've lived here over 25 years, and not just visited. You seem to believe your two years of living here, as well as your 10 years of visiting, make you capable of judging the weather of a place....you're the one out of touch with reality. Your judgement of cold snaps is also completely backwards. 60-70 degree days happen a few times, but are immediately followed by longer, below-average cold snaps which then return to average temperatures. This is not the only place in the Midwest where this happens..it happens in all the cities i compared to stl...it happened last year in the Great Lakes several times. You also mentioned being from the Northeast, possibly New England, so I'd again have to question if your definition of average is actually above a factual average winter for the United States.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
New England gets less Snowfall than most of the Great Lakes, and Rockies, which get upwards of 100 inches Vs our 45-55 average.
Therefore, you think New England has a winter that is in between severe and mild?

Here's some nice maps that perfectly back up what I've been claiming.

http://factoidz.com/images/user/clim...map%281%29.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1180/...7c6e9631_o.jpg

http://www.duraports.com/img/prodsnowloadlarge.jpg

Last edited by stlouisan; 12-27-2011 at 12:46 PM..

Old 12-27-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Considering how well liked you are by people in the St. Louis forum, and how much you put down St. Louis at any given opportunity, it wouldn't surprise me at all that you accuse it of reality distortion...you're the one distorting reality. Two years is never long enough to get an idea of any place. We are perfectly capable of getting two winters that aren't bad consecutively. I've lived here over 25 years, and not just visited. You seem to believe your two years of living here, as well as your 10 years of visiting, make you capable of judging the weather of a place....you're the one out of touch with reality. Your judgement of cold snaps is also completely backwards. 60-70 degree days happen a few times, but are immediately followed by longer, below-average cold snaps which then return to average temperatures. This is not the only place in the Midwest where this happens..it happens in all the cities i compared to stl...it happened last year in the Great Lakes several times. You also mentioned being from the Northeast, possibly New England, so I'd again have to question if your definition of average is actually above a factual average winter for the United States.

To me, a mild winter is a complimentary of a region. A desirable trait.

Yet in a typical St. Louis sel-aggrandizing manner, you want to make a Saint Louis winter seem like a winter in Chicago or New York: Bigger, Better or Worse than it actually is.

Yes. I grew up along the Hudson River Valley. Winters could get pretty bad there (although not as Buffalo or the Northern New England.). I moved to CA because I hate cold Weather.

Being used to Southern California winters, I can honestly say that the winters in Saint Louis are not has bad as you would expect them to be and were mostly tolerable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.