Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2011, 03:20 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
Might have to do with where you grew up. I grew up in TN and moved to Boston for school. TN definitely had some cold winters- as in maybe it got down to the 20's a few weeks out of the year. But in Boston it was COLD! As in it hurt to go outside. The difference was like night and day between TN and there. So yeah- if you're not accustomed to that kind of winter then I can see how one could form such a negative opinion. It obviously bothers a lot of people from there too because I swear like 90% of the people on all of the Southern city data forms are from places like Chicago, NYC, Boston, and so on and one of their primary reasons for moving is because they are escaping the hellish winters.

I personally have no desire to ever live anywhere that gets that cold ever again.
And vice versa....you'll hear just as many complaints how damn hot and "hellish" Southern summers are, trust me. I realize things are relative, but you have to be a major pu**y to think that 40 degrees is unbearably cold! My baby daughter doesn't seem distressed when it's 20 degrees, let alone 40 degrees. Maybe she has a cold weather gene? Or maybe people complain too much? Hmmmm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 03:21 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,786,898 times
I dunno... Seems like every other post I read on any of the Southern sites goes something like this:

Quote:
"Hi, me and my husband are from Chicago/NYC/Boston/Minneapolis and we're so sick of the cold..."
Of course that's followed by questions about housing and stuff but I swear it seems like half of those that want to move down always seek out the most expensive parts of town where they'll pay as much or more than where they came from.

And yeah- I'd say the economy is better there.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:22 PM

And I don't understand some of these people.....they must also have a hard time opening the refrigerator then because most fridges are about 35-40 degrees.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
And vice versa....you'll hear just as many complaints how damn hot and "hellish" Southern summers are, trust me. I realize things are relative, but you have to be a major pu**y to think that 40 degrees is unbearably cold! My baby daughter doesn't seem distressed when it's 20 degrees, let alone 40 degrees. Maybe she has a cold weather gene? Or maybe people complain to much? Hmmmm.
I like never-ever see any posts from Southerners wanting to move to cold northern states. Instead its like half of the North is packing their bags and moving down there instead. I can deal with cold. But when it gets down to below zero you all can have all of that weather you want. I won't even be jealous- trust me. I've lived all over the country and honestly, I sort of like being able to be outside and enjoy the weather versus freezing my a$$ off 6 months out of the year. Maybe if I were into ice fishing, snowboarding or snowmobiles I'd feel differently.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:27 PM

It's definitely more trendy to move warmer than colder, that is for sure, but I see Southerners looking to escape the heat that post in Northern threads all of the time. Btw, below zero sucks and nobody likes that. Just like nobody loves it when it's 100 degrees and humid.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:28 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
What the heck is "Midwestern Ambiance" ... ?

Old 02-28-2011, 03:32 PM

I've never actually met any fellow Southerners that I know who eagerly want to move to somewhere like Minnesota. Not saying it doesn't happen, but given the latest census data its clear the Southeast and West are gaining the most people. Of course weather isn't the only reason but I think its a major one. People these days seem more willing to pick up and leave somewhere their family spent generations living. You're no longer tied to certain areas due to business and careers. Thus given the choice I think a lot of people are deciding that they don't have to put up with nasty winters anymore if they don't want to.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:25 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,195,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
enjoy the weather versus freezing my a$$ off 6 months out of the year. .
Dear God.
People still think it is freezing half the year?

Old 02-28-2011, 04:34 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Dear God.
Only those who have their heads firmly implanted up their rear.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Dear God.
Let me put it this way. Where I grew up winter generally lasted from around November to March. By March it was generally warm and more pleasant. When I lived in MA it snowed right up almost to May and more than once it snowed in June. On top of that- it got HOT as hell too- surprising given how cold it got in Winter.

You all can keep going on and on about what wusses some of us who don't like cold weather are, but you aren't going to hurt my feelings in the least. If cold weather works for some people- fine. Not for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.