Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 10:11 AM

51 posts, read 140,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I was born in the Deep South(New Orleans specifically). I left at the age of six months old and moved to Ft. Worth,Texas. At 4 years old I moved to Everett,WA near Seattle. I moved back to the Deep South when I was six years. First it was South Carolina, then Georgia at age 8. I have been living in Georgia since age 8 and in metro Atlanta since almost 10(i turned 10 2 months after moving there). I have spent the largest part of my life in Georgia and I have never felt like a Georgian or even a southerner. Part of it is my father's Milwaukee influence. I don't talk like a southerner. I say the word pop, I don't say the word "y'all" and I don't have a southern accent. Some people have told me my accent sounds like a)Chicago, b)Minnesota or Wisconsin, c)Canadian(even my Canadian-raised French teacher said so), or d)West Coast. I don't eat like a southerner(although sometimes I do eatt fried chicken and drink tea with sugar. I don't like collard greens, corn bread or blackeyed peas). I don't even feel like one. Sometimes I feel like I should have been born in Minneapolis or Seattle. I even feel more like a Texan(I do not consider Texas part of the South. Never have, never will), than a Georgian.
Southerners don't "eat" any certain way or any certain foods...nor do they speak in a particular similar manner. This one doesn't eat collards/corn bread/blakeyed peas/etc. I don't have very much of an accent because I'm educated and I know how to speak, and I've travelled quite a bit and have lived abroad. But I don't think I'm different from many other people in the South...most of us don't fit that old, tired stereotype that so many people can't let go of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 11:25 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,696,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Yeah, I was born in the one-time capital of the Confederacy, Richmond, VA. The fake aristocratic airs that people put on there, in addition to their being absolutely obsessed with "Southern Heritage", led me to vow escape at an early age. Like a complete idiot, I moved to Atlanta (bye bye frying pan, hello fire) and corrected that mistake after 2 years of planning. Hello, San Francisco! I got priced out of there after 4 years, which was long enough to OD on smugness. In another frying pan/fire moment, I fled to Seattle. Five years later, I was back in RVA, licking my wounds and looking for the perfect place to live, the city where I should have been born. I found it, right under my nose, or more accurately, 6 hours due northwest, on the right (as in correct) side of the Mason-Dixon line. The Armory of the Union. Pittsburgh town, city I love.
How can you put Richmond down like that?

Pittsburg **gagging***

Seriously???

Pittsburg???

Old 02-12-2009, 11:28 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
yes i do and was. but i moved. a place of eternal spring, so much like part of this film.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Snow_Queen_(1957_film)

Old 02-12-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizEdCoach View Post
Southerners don't "eat" any certain way or any certain foods...nor do they speak in a particular similar manner. This one doesn't eat collards/corn bread/blakeyed peas/etc. I don't have very much of an accent because I'm educated and I know how to speak, and I've travelled quite a bit and have lived abroad. But I don't think I'm different from many other people in the South...most of us don't fit that old, tired stereotype that so many people can't let go of.
Accent has nothing to do with education. There are many Southron accents that rival the British . My family in Richmond , for example, we speak the King's English. You probably now just have bland, generic, Midwest Accent which you think is non-accent.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:18 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
Altho I'm in Orlando now, it's just a stopping off point. I always feel like I'm home when I'm just about anywhere in the Smoky or Appl mountians.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:23 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,872 times
I'm reminded every day that I was born in the wrong city.

I'd go as far as to say I was born in the wrong country altogether.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:30 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,713,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
How can you put Richmond down like that?

Pittsburg **gagging***

Seriously???

Pittsburg???
Ever been there? I seriously doubt it. It's absolutely gorgeous. Easily the most beautiful larger metro east of the Mississippi. Ainulinale, hit 'em with some pics!

And it's spelled with an H on the end.

I can put Richmond down like that because I spent the first 22 years of my life there and the only thing more annoying than native Richmonders (who are at least a little humble about their diminutive city's place in the world) are the NoVa carpetbaggers who act like they own the place.

From my collection:

Richmond

The living hell of Pittsburgh:

Old 02-12-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Ever been there? I seriously doubt it. It's absolutely gorgeous. Easily the most beautiful larger metro east of the Mississippi. Ainulinale, hit 'em with some pics!

I can put Richmond down like that because I spent the first 22 years of my life there and the only thing more annoying than native Richmonders (who are at least a little humble about their diminutive city's place in the world) are the NoVa carpetbaggers who act like they own the place.

From my collection:

Richmond

I fail to see how a picture of a city skyline means anything. Skylines mean nothing to me.

This is Richmond to me:

http://www.virginiaestates.com/CVRPhotos/2827297_1.jpg (broken link)

Just a few examples. But stunning, none the less

BTW- Can you get sweet tea in Pitts-burgh?

Old 02-12-2009, 02:40 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:

From my collection:

Richmond

I don't how that picture looks like living heck. The Golden Triangle doesn't look bad to me. PGH looks more interesting than the pic you showed of Richmond.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:43 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,713,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
I fail to see how a picture of a city skyline means anything. Skylines mean nothing to me.

This is Richmond to me:

Just a few examples. But stunning, none the less

BTW- Can you get sweet tea in Pitts-burgh?

PLEASE stop with the Southern stereotypes! You're not even from the South, I'm embarrassed for you.

YES, you can get sweet tea anywhere. You take one glass of tea and add sugar. Pitts-burgh...I get it. Funny, and it's never been done before.

Once again, ever been? Because if not, it's sort of ignorant to put a place down without knowing much about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.