Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 07:40 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,730,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
Crime is often lower in colder cities. The cities with low crime tend to be colder ones.
Part of the reason might be the loot is frozen to the ground for part of the year. More difficult to cart off. Tough to get that snow covered lawn mower out of the back yard too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 07:43 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
To me, people who move to warm climates tend to rush into it before thinking. Of course it doesnt count for ALL, but most people who abandon colder climates and retreat to the sunbelt do so just for weather reasons. Theyd rather put their kids in the notoriously bad sunbelt schools than take another day of shoveling? Funny thing is, alot return because the grass isnt greener on the other side.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:06 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,224 times
Quote:
Dingler: I have been to all 50 States and many cities and towns all over America. I have a major observation. -------------In most cases places with mild climates (and full of people who have relocated have more troubled and lazy people. Places with terrible climates have better people.

bmurphy: Crime is often lower in colder cities. The cities with low crime tend to be colder ones.
Okay, here's the scoop -- take it or leave it. I am from a cold northeast city; I live in a warmer climate now. I have had this discussion many times with friends who were from the colder climates, and now live in warmer climates. This is what we determined.

First of all, I don't think crime is lower in colder cities (take many cities in the south and Detroit in the north). However, in some cities, maybe cold weather does contribute because who wants to go around stealing and burglarizing or committing crimes when it's zero degrees outside, and there's 6 feet of snow on the ground?! [Just noticed Cosmic made the same observation before I saw it!]

As for "better people," I'm not sure how that is being defined -- that would help. What I have noticed is that people in colder cities where they are confined indoors more tend to also be more socially adept. By this I mean, that in colder cities people are stuck indoors for long periods of time. Developing social skills is really imperative when you have to be around people indoors in close proximity for months at a time.

The warmer places allow people to do solitary activities such as hiking, biking, swimming, surfing, and skateboarding. These are active, however, they do not involve interaction with others. Therefore, I've noticed a lack of social skills -- little verbal bantering, less comedic or funny conversations, less "intellectual" discussions (not that all people in warm climes are less inclined to do that, but I've noticed it's hard to engage people in long intellectual discussions).

People in warmer places tend to spend a lot of time outdoors, there just is less opportunity to be stuck in close proximity and have to interact on a larger social scale.

I have often started "Eastcoast Connection" get-togethers out west because I miss that dialogue with others. I also miss being able to be out-spoken and direct, and get a bit frustrated by how politically correct people feel they must be. It's just a personal bias because lots of people who live out west feel quite fine about it.

So, I'm not sure it really boils down to "lazy" versus "ambitious," but rather that the social environment changes with the weather.

It'll be interesting to hear what others have to say. Thanks!

Old 03-25-2007, 09:04 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
[quote=Dingler;495562]I have been to all 50 States and many cities and towns all over America. I have a major observation. -------------In most cases places with mild climates (and full of people who have relocated have more troubled and lazy people. Places with terrible climates have better people.

I think places like Arizona, Nevada, California and Florida are for people who are escaping something. They got in a fight with their family and are escaping their terrible life and situation back in Smalltown MI. You get alot of losers and drifters in these warm weather places.

Of course this is a generalization but I think it is true much of the time.

I find the best people to be in areas like Buffalo, Fargo, Omaha, Des Moines, and Tulsa. Places that are not glamorous places but are family orientated.[/QUOTE//

Of course the people from colder climates are nicer and more ambitious. Seriously though, all but one of the cities you mentioned is in the Midwest which is considered to be dull and boring, but is known for a good work ethic and being helpful and friendly to others. I've never been to Buffalo, but the other cities you mentioned do have friendly people living in them.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:04 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
In southern Ontario, intellectual conversations might be easy to start up... if you can get someone to talk to you.

We are stuck indoors with plenty of people much of the year, but this does not force interaction. Many people ignore the existance of strangers, sometimes as well as people they are very familiar with. No one here is concerned with the notion that pretending someone is not there is akin to broadcasting a body language message "I don't think you're worth talking to." There are no standards, no common social graces. Everything is arbitrary and it's often painfully obvious, even going out somewhere a quiet bar seeing a dozen or so people sitting around, looking like they want to say something but are afraid of how they might come across so they stay silent. Talking to many of the people here is often like pulling teeth. There are exceptions from a few bold ecentrics, but we are too few in numbers IMHO.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:44 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,224 times
Quote:
Cold Canadian: In southern Ontario, intellectual conversations might be easy to start up... if you can get someone to talk to you.

We are stuck indoors with plenty of people much of the year, but this does not force interaction. Many people ignore the existance of strangers, sometimes as well as people they are very familiar with. No one here is concerned with the notion that pretending someone is not there is akin to broadcasting a body language message "I don't think you're worth talking to." There are no standards, no common social graces. Everything is arbitrary and it's often painfully obvious, even going out somewhere a quiet bar seeing a dozen or so people sitting around, looking like they want to say something but are afraid of how they might come across so they stay silent. Talking to many of the people here is often like pulling teeth. There are exceptions from a few bold ecentrics, but we are too few in numbers IMHO.
Hmmmm, maybe it's just the people I hang out with......

My friends in Toronto (especially on Ward's Island) are quite intellectually stimulating and very creative.

Maybe I'm just used to people who are more into interacting -- got me -- although I do seem to find more people interested in socializing in groups back east and they seem to be a lot more verbal.

Or maybe my friends and I are just some of those "bold eccentrics!"

Old 03-26-2007, 01:40 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
I've also noticed that people who live in cooler climates look younger than they are. People who live in the sunbelt are in the sun for too long and their skin prematurely ages as a result.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:15 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,267,353 times
Well, I must be one of those bold eccentrics too, because when not busy being a hermit, I talk to everyone I meet (as you'll see below).

This is not indicative of all those addressed in your query, it's a conversation I had with a career criminal on the beach in S. Calif years ago. He told me that he (and his friends) go south in the winter and north in the summer. In other words they follow the weather much like those wealthy folks they want to accost. Seems 'the lifestyle' involves not only the easy way to make money but not having to deal with the inconvenience of bad weather. A telling statement right from the horse's mouth.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:49 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Well, I must be one of those bold eccentrics too, because when not busy being a hermit, I talk to everyone I meet (as you'll see below).

This is not indicative of all those addressed in your query, it's a conversation I had with a career criminal on the beach in S. Calif years ago. He told me that he (and his friends) go south in the winter and north in the summer. In other words they follow the weather much like those wealthy folks they want to accost. Seems 'the lifestyle' involves not only the easy way to make money but not having to deal with the inconvenience of bad weather. A telling statement right from the horse's mouth.
Career criminal? Interesting... I've met people who've admitted to having a record, some perhaps an extensive one. Needless to say I didn't really associate with them afterwards.

If I had a lifestyle that allowed me to avoid bad weather, I'd probably go to the tropics in winter, and then up south in the summer.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:02 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,899,154 times
The North will rise again! Give me a hug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.