Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2010, 04:18 PM

871 posts, read 2,247,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
Dear JJW, I don't think Prof. Labov and his staff sat around with a pitcher of margaritas and some magic markers drawing up maps of US dialects. Amazon.com: Atlas of North American English: Phonetics, Phonology and Sound Change (9783110167467): William Labov, Sharon Ash, Charles Boberg: Books

It is also in agreement with another major study of dialect as shown in this map. While they diverge greatly at the far east and west limits, they are almost in line along the KY and WV region.

Unless you can come up with some other study that contradicts his extensive study I will rely on the Telsur maps. There are plenty of surveys and studies that I don't like or agree with but unless I can come up with a better or rival study I have to abide by them. I'm sure they drew the map with far more consideration and expertise than is being shown here.
my whole point is that its not extensive. there are huge gaps with no samples, especially between charleston and the maryland border. thats really where i doubt it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 07:06 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,244,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
i doubt that. listen to this woman who is from parkersburg (just a little south of you). no trace of southern dialect at all. compare that to the dialects of prestonburg KY.
You have illustrated my point perfectly. Once you ignore the Univ. of PA study we are reduced to cherry picking examples to illustrate our points. I can do that too. You have no idea if that woman in Parkersburg is actually a native or moved there from PA or elsewhere.

YouTube - Mountaintop Removal Forum Parkersburg WV - 6

Quote:
my whole point is that its not extensive. there are huge gaps with no samples, especially between charleston and the maryland border. thats really where i doubt it.
I think you should write to Prof. Labov and tell him where he went wrong. Most academics are happy to find out where they screwd up. At the bottom of the page you can send them a note.
Phonological Atlas of North America

Old 02-25-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
You have illustrated my point perfectly. Once you ignore the Univ. of PA study we are reduced to cherry picking examples to illustrate our points. I can do that too. You have no idea if that woman in Parkersburg is actually a native or moved there from PA or elsewhere.

I think you should write to Prof. Labov and tell him where he went wrong. Most academics are happy to find out where they screwd up. At the bottom of the page you can send them a note.
Phonological Atlas of North America
no, i picked that clip specifically because at the beginning she states that she is from parkersburg and grew up there. you're clip is a guest speaker.

and my clip is more accurate than going by his study, because he took samples very far apart, and estimated the in betweens.

and i sent him an email.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:46 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,244,077 times
Your Parkersburg lady says she is "from Parkersburg", not born and raised in. She says her dad worked for Foxboro Instruments, which is a MA company. I am from Philadelphia, but not born and raised here. The central speaker of my clip is a guest speaker from Raleigh County, but most of the audience is Parkersburg and most had a spoonful or more of southern accent. And Parkersburg was not included in the southern dialect anyway. And my point is still vaild, cherry picking sound samples to illustrate a point is not conclusive of anything.

Here is a group of West Virginia astrophysicists from that undersampled area you were concerned about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whT9qWh5Jzs

Please let us know what he says.

Last edited by Bobilee; 02-26-2010 at 12:14 AM..

Old 02-26-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Your Parkersburg lady says she is "from Parkersburg", not born and raised in. She says her dad worked for Foxboro Instruments, which is a MA company. I am from Philadelphia, but not born and raised here. The central speaker of my clip is a guest speaker from Raleigh County, but most of the audience is Parkersburg and most had a spoonful or more of southern accent. And Parkersburg was not included in the southern dialect anyway. And my point is still vaild, cherry picking sound samples to illustrate a point is not conclusive of anything.

Here is a group of West Virginia astrophysicists from that undersampled area you were concerned about.

usually when asked where someone is from, they say where they started out at. she is still in parkersburg, i think its safe to say shes been there for her whole life. she says that shes the same age and interested what part of town he grew up in, suggesting that she grew up there as well. this is about as close to confirming being from somewhere as youre going to find.

im not sure the purpose of that clip you included. i can tell you that at least "starship" ed kyle is an actor from virginia.

in fact, im not sure what you're trying to prove at all. that marrietta ohio is culturally part of the southern united states?

Old 02-26-2010, 07:52 AM

37 posts, read 145,432 times
Quote:
usually when asked where someone is from, they say where they started out at. she is still in parkersburg, i think its safe to say shes been there for her whole life. she says that shes the same age and interested what part of town he grew up in, suggesting that she grew up there as well. this is about as close to confirming being from somewhere as youre going to find.

im not sure the purpose of that clip you included. i can tell you that at least "starship" ed kyle is an actor from virginia.

in fact, im not sure what you're trying to prove at all. that marrietta ohio is culturally part of the southern united states?

The Parkersburg lady is a Northernite. =) She was not born and raised in the area. Living hear my whole I would say Marietta culturally is more southern culutre then anything else. It is a great town to visit, with alot of historical stuff. You guys should come and visit.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
he just wrote me back. here is what he said:

"Dear Mr. ______,

Thanks for your message. We interviewed eight people in West Virginia, but only did a detailed analysis on three. A closer look at the state will certainly pay off, and I am going to recruit people if I can to plot our remaining five speakers, and do a more detailed study of the state that goes beyond the big cities. Terry Irons has done this in eastern Kentucky, and two dissertations have just been completed on the border areas in eastern NY State and Erie, PA.
I agree that our view of West Virginia is not enough. Given the methods of the Atlas, we can't be sure we're right on any one town, and it's the overall pattern that counts. We don't have a view of the overall pattern in West Virginia since there aren't enough points in the state..

Yours sincerely,

Bill Labov"

Old 02-26-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marietta89 View Post
The Parkersburg lady is a Northernite. =) She was not born and raised in the area. Living hear my whole I would say Marietta culturally is more southern culutre then anything else. It is a great town to visit, with alot of historical stuff. You guys should come and visit.
in the clip she says she was. but please elaborate further, perhaps with some examples as to how youve come to the conclusion that Marrietta is more culturally southern than anything else. what you consider to be a southern dialect may just differ from far northern ohio, what youve compared it to.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:13 AM

37 posts, read 145,432 times
Quote:
in the clip she says she was. but please elaborate further, perhaps with some examples as to how youve come to the conclusion that Marrietta is more culturally southern than anything else. what you consider to be a southern dialect may just differ from far northern ohio, what youve compared it to.
Not sure how you want examples of the dialect here unless you have been here to visit to listen to people and see the culture. Listening to my grandma who was born and raised here or her life has a very strong old Southern/ Virginan accent.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marietta89 View Post
Not sure how you want examples of the dialect here unless you have been here to visit to listen to people and see the culture. Listening to my grandma who was born and raised here or her life has a very strong old Southern/ Virginan accent.
if you have some medium where you could record your voice perhaps. maybe you can find a video or recording of people from your town. also prhaps you could show some local restaurants that serve southern cuisine, or other examples of the cuisine being present where you live. obviously there are staistics of your area is highly of german descent and does not have much of a baptist presence so demographically and ethnically that cant be proven, but you can try to find some examples of southern culture at least being somewhat present, right?

come on, you get the idea. what are some ways that really makes your area southern culturally, other than a grandma that you think sounds southern. im sure you can find some examples
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.