Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2010, 11:05 AM

37 posts, read 145,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
if you have some medium where you could record your voice perhaps. maybe you can find a video or recording of people from your town. also prhaps you could show some local restaurants that serve southern cuisine, or other examples of the cuisine being present where you live. obviously there are staistics of your area is highly of german descent and does not have much of a baptist presence so demographically and ethnically that cant be proven, but you can try to find some examples of southern culture at least being somewhat present, right?

come on, you get the idea. what are some ways that really makes your area southern culturally, other than a grandma that you think sounds southern. im sure you can find some examples

I really don't take kind to your attitude. Why don't you come to Marietta and I will show you what type of culture we live in since obviously you have no idea. You can come out to a holler and drink some homeade wine with us. The majority of people around here are German and Scottish. As far as religion, there are alot of baptist and methodist and that is about it.

As far as food, I grew up eating everything fried pretty much, from fried steak to fried chicken, fried hamburgers. But we do not eat alot of grits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 11:07 AM

37 posts, read 145,465 times
I think your philposhy and idea sounds like you have no idea what your talking about as you have not seen first hand accounts of these places you describe.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:23 PM

871 posts, read 2,247,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marietta89 View Post
I really don't take kind to your attitude. Why don't you come to Marietta and I will show you what type of culture we live in since obviously you have no idea. You can come out to a holler and drink some homeade wine with us. The majority of people around here are German and Scottish. As far as religion, there are alot of baptist and methodist and that is about it.

As far as food, I grew up eating everything fried pretty much, from fried steak to fried chicken, fried hamburgers. But we do not eat alot of grits.
i dont take to YOUR attitude, or the fact that you think i have an attitude for asking you to provide me with examples. that sounds perfectly reasonable to me, i even exemplified many ways in which you could do so. i asked for something quite simple and you refuse to show me. thats your fault. if you dont feel that you can convince me, then why did you even bother trying?

from data ive seen, i wouldnt say marrietta has "a lot of baptist", less than 10 percent actually.

as far as the diet goes, are you familiar with pimento cheese, chess pie, hushpuppies, fried green tomatoes, greens, cheese grits, pecan cobbler, blackberry cobbler, sweet potatoes, country ham, bread pudding, buscuits, country sausage, fried okra, etc...? these are the types of things ive always seen as "southern cuisine". ive never thought of hamburgers that way, and fried chicken has kind of become general american as well.

and by the way, marrietta is a 4 hour 15 minute drive from me and i dont even have a vehicle right now.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:37 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times
Thats pretty accurate, good job.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
This map is spot on. Great job. I definitely agree with central FL, where I live, as being a transition zone as it is described.
Yeah, If I was to draw Florida as far as culture goes I'd use something like the map drawn on this post Tampa being in transition, there still is a decent amount of southern culture in the Tampa Bay area. I would cut the line of transition off right about at the end of Port St. Lucie on the East over to about the beginning of Fort Myers on the West. The line would pretty much split Lake Okeechobee in half.

Last edited by clean_polo; 05-06-2010 at 01:09 AM..

Old 05-06-2010, 12:56 AM

43 posts, read 128,533 times
For the most part, really good map. Except I don't really agree with the Green "Upper South" Being one conglomeration. I think the culture of Arkansas through Western Tennessee differs significantly from the Carolinas. I almost think there should be a sub category called "Piedmont South" for Northern Georgia and The Carolinas east of the Appalachians.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:19 AM

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/865/florida.png < I drew the green line at the point where I feel like transition ends in Florida as well as Bible Belt.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:56 AM

871 posts, read 2,247,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHale View Post
For the most part, really good map. Except I don't really agree with the Green "Upper South" Being one conglomeration. I think the culture of Arkansas through Western Tennessee differs significantly from the Carolinas. I almost think there should be a sub category called "Piedmont South" for Northern Georgia and The Carolinas east of the Appalachians.
this is true, and in my more recent map where i mapped out americas culture regions as a whole i made that change and referred to it as "upper coastal south"

Old 07-23-2010, 08:44 PM

398 posts, read 993,703 times
Quote:
here is a map that i made of the south's different regions

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr211/elikos91/south-3.jpg (broken link)
I don't know much about the regions within the South on this map, such as the Charleston region and the Cajun Country. But in my opinion, the northern boundary of the south and the transition zone between the north and south on this map is correct. Much better than some other maps that place the boundary between the north and south too far north. I think the boundary on this map is in the right place.

Good job on the map.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:32 PM

996 posts, read 1,896,862 times
Quote:
here is a map that i made of the south's different regions

I agree with the Appalachia map 100%. And The Deep South would be perfect if parts of NC were in it. Everything else seems fine 'cept....

Charleston-Savannah doesn't need a region. It'll be in Deep South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.