Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2008, 04:42 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronadeluxe View Post
militant? bet?? you've got to be kidding. i would think bet was being run by the clan the way they are trying to completely ruin and destroy black folks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
there's not much militant about BET. if anything, the network tends to help the degradation of colored peoples.
First of all, when I meant militant, I'm referring to the blacks who undermine education, praise and glorify violence, and considering success as being a "white thing." Second, since BET is out to take out blacks, why in the hell would anyone take the advice of which cities are best for blacks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
From what I recall about Fairfaxian he has a hard time because he's different from the gangster rapper thug type. He says he's educated and talks proper english but has a hard time dating because he likes asian, white, Latina and indian woman and he has his own unique style. Fairfaxian I thought you would have moved somewhere else by now. Life is to short.
I'm currently attending college and won't be graduating until May of 2009. It's a complicated story of why I can't just transfer out-of-state. Regardless, I would consider Seattle (along w/ Minneapolis, Denver, Phoenix, Honolulu, and most other western cities) better cities in reference of race relations than the ones listed on BET
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 05:31 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Im kinda surprised Indianapolis (#8) is ahead of my city, Columbus (#9). Indianapolis seems like more of a country town than Columbus, kinda opposite of African-American interests.

And about the Houston/DC diversity argument, my own opinion is that DC is way more diverse just because of the importance of DC not only on America, but also the world. If you look at surrounding suburbs DC looks to be much more diverse than Houston
I agree that DC is very very diverse. But if you think it is much more diverse than Houston, you are flat out wrong. Houston has a higher hispanic population and probably about the same diverse hispanic population. Houston has the largest Nigerian population in the United States. They have one of the largest Middle Eastern populations in the country as well. It has the 3rd largest Vietnamese population and one of the large Southeastern Asian populations in the nation. Houston can go toe to toe with any city in terms of diversity.

Houston is pretty important as well. It's oil business and port industry is the reason that Houston now just announced they will receive nonstop airlines to Qatar.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
No one mentioned Seattle. I'm black and I moved from D.C. to Seattle. At first I thought, what am I doing? But now I know I made the right move. I thought I would miss my people LOL but they are here too. Seattle is rich in black history believe it or not. Its such a cool laid back city, and the natural beauty is breathtaking.
I would absolutely love to live in Seattle one day. It looks like a truly beautiful city.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:47 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
Houston doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell being more diverse than DC. Are you serious. And please don't tell me about consulate offices. WOW!

Old 03-08-2008, 08:13 PM

135 posts, read 525,807 times
Thumbs up Nice Pics

Pwright: Thanks for the pictures of Seattle. I've never had the opportunity to visit that part of the West Coast, but I'm seriously looking at a calendar now trying to fit in a summer trip to Seattle for myself and the family. It appears to be a literal and figurative breath of fresh air.

Last edited by Charleston Class; 03-08-2008 at 09:20 PM..

Old 03-08-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Houston doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell being more diverse than DC. Are you serious. And please don't tell me about consulate offices. WOW!
Back yours up with facts and I'll back mine up and NO, I will not talk about consulates. Also, I have spent time in both cities to know that both cities are about equal in diversity. To say Houston doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell is quite ignorant and the same if it was said vice versa. If you think Houston is like the typical southern city in diversity, you are incredibly wrong.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:45 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Excuse me? Houston is very diverse. Alot of ethnic groups live there. It isn't majority "Anybody". In a way, everyone is in the minority. DC is majority black. Houston is more even.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:19 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
I'm not saying Houston isn't diverse. But you are trying to compare it to the Nation's Capital, where there are hundreds of embassies, foreign officials and international tourist frolicking on our streets on a daily basis. Plus DC probably has more central americans than any city in N.A. When I was in Texas a few years back, I saw Mexicans! So much for diversity.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:55 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
DC's Finest have you ever been to Houston? I've been to just about every U.S. big city and I can truely say that Houston has got to be one of the most diverse. I've met so many people from around the world who call Houston home. D.C. is diverse but they don't call it Chocolate City for nothing.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:15 AM

482 posts, read 945,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Not to rebut the status, but even though I've heard good things about most of those cities, is this poll considering the best place for blacks to live based on the activities within the internal black community, or based on the treatment, and acceptance of blacks by other races?

If we waited for this, we'd turn to stone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.