Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 08:15 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,158,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Another time I turned a corner in a hotel hallway and knocked Judge Robert Bork over, who was coming the opposite way (on the wrong side of the hallway, I might add.) He was nice about it...just glad I didn't hurt him.

My brush with greatness...
Whoops

I worked on Darkman as an extra. This was during the carnival scene: I was standing around at the far end of the parking lot we were filming in, just being background crowd. I had my back turned to the main action which was about 200 feet away. In this scene the star's face mask was melting and he runs off to prevent the love interest from seeing it. Anyway because of the mask, the actor couldn't see where he was going and accidentally ran right into me, *THWAP* and of course I didn't see it coming either so I spun around mad!! We shot the scene several more times without any such mistakes, but that's the one they used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 08:26 AM

When The A-Team was on TV, it was followed by Riptide in the schedule. One episode of Riptide had someone refer to the guys as "the B-Team" as a funny put-down.

Not too long after that I noticed a car on the freeway with the license plate "B-TEAM" and as it passed me, lo and behold I saw the driver was Thom Bray, one of the 3 leads in Riptide.

(I worked on some Cannell shows, they were always great sets to work on, no B.S. unlike some studios I could name!)

Old 09-12-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Ny and LA are the best for that. My friend works in film here in NY and works with celebs and athletes everyday shooting commercials.
It's funny to watch the tourists who think the stars stand around on every street corner, like holiday decorations. Nope, most of the time they're just regular folks leading ordinary lives. They just happen to WORK in front of the camera (and most of the time it's a 12-hour workday!)

Old 09-12-2009, 08:41 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,931,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
It's funny to watch the tourists who think the stars stand around on every street corner, like holiday decorations. Nope, most of the time they're just regular folks leading ordinary lives. They just happen to WORK in front of the camera (and most of the time it's a 12-hour workday!)

Yep, you're right. On this other message board I go on (And I've seen it on the NYC forum here on C-D too), there are a lot of tourists posting where to look for celebrities. They actively go out of their way to look for them. The reason why celebs like NY and LA is because no one here makes it a big deal. I feel bad when people stop them on the street to ask for a picture/autograph. It's one thing to say hi as you pass them though. My dad saw a well-known national news anchor when we were walking, and he said hi to him. They like when people just say hi and smile, but stopping them is a bit rude...unless you're really a huge fan for years or something.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Yep, you're right. On this other message board I go on (And I've seen it on the NYC forum here on C-D too), there are a lot of tourists posting where to look for celebrities. They actively go out of their way to look for them. The reason why celebs like NY and LA is because no one here makes it a big deal. I feel bad when people stop them on the street to ask for a picture/autograph.
I was working on some TV shoot down at LAX, just hanging out with the other extras between shots (when you work bits and extras, you do a LOT of waiting around), and a gaggle of fresh-off-the-plane foreign tourists saw us and came running over to get our autographs. They thought they'd found a bunch of movie stars. We all obligingly signed their scraps of paper, which thrilled the tourists no end. They left without noticing the actual stars who were at work down the hall!!

Old 09-12-2009, 01:39 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,674,523 times
I was at the Spearmint Rhino in Las Vegas and I saw Dana White of the UFC. We walked up to him and said "WHATS UP DANA?!?!" and he gave us high fives and patted our backs and then continued to VIP.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:40 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,674,523 times
I'm close friends with some real close NFL players and UFC guys. Also, I am pretty close to some musicians that I will not say who.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:07 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,657,162 times
Ok, going back to my teenage and young adult years in NYC. Lou Alcindor, aka Kareem Abdul Jabar. Knew him from Power Memorial HS dances where he went to school. When I was working in a coffee house in the Village, way back when: Spoonful, Hendrix, Morrison, Dylan, Burdon of the Animals, Billy Joel and the Hassels, Kinks, Rascals, Allman Brothers (bf was roadie for them) and probably others cannot think of offhand right now. Donald Trump, Ed Koch, Gypsy Rose Lee, Tony Perkins from Psycho (lived around the corner from me), Howard Cosell and Cousin Brucie if anyone knows who he is now (a friend worked at ABC). My Mom used to run into Cher frequenetly at Balducci's but I never met her. My husband, when he was very young and driving a diaper truck, delivered Chastity's diapers.

When I worked at the corporte offices of Clairol: Eileen Ford (of the agency) and some of the high fashion models of the times (don't remember their names). I missed meeting John Wayne when he was negotiating the Excedrin commerical because I was out sick. Awwwww.

I could write, and should, write a book.

Last edited by TANaples; 09-12-2009 at 06:21 PM..

Old 09-12-2009, 06:22 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,869 times
This past winter I was walking in the east village. I was walking down the street when I saw Eva Mendes getting out of a limousine. At the time I didn't know it was her. Then she walked right by me towards some antigue type shop with another girl and was making eye contact and smiling at me. At first it didn't register who it was that was smiling at me, so I never acted weird when I saw her. It was only when I realized that it was her, that I became a bit star struck. I have to admit, I was shocked for a few seconds. Her limo and body guard waited outside by the limo for her and her friend. Obviously, I didn't wait around for her to come out.Then, I was also a bit flattered that she flirted with me. I have to admit I love NY for that reason. You can walk by many girls everywhere you go and the hot ones are flirty and not afraid to be that way.

I also on another occasion this winter walked right by Chein ming wang near the Brooklyn bridge. That just made my head turn fast and stare for a second. There was alot of people at that time and plus it was just a Yankee pitcher. Which certainly wasn't as nice as walking by Evan Mendes. Who, by the way, is very hot in person.

Last edited by supermanpansy; 09-12-2009 at 07:40 PM..

Old 09-12-2009, 11:04 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,931,823 times
I was eating at Paprika in the East village (it's amazing, try it). They were taping an episode of the new show "New Amsterdam" and the actors were sitting on the front stoop right beside our table going over their lines with us right there eating at the table. The lead actor looked familiar, but I don't know his name. I'm sure there are a few famous ones in that show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.