U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-12-2009, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
32,341 posts, read 55,131,075 times
Reputation: 15407

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I may be wrong because I don't know very much about Honolulu, but my gut feeling is that the city just doesn't have the number of venues needed to host an Olympics.
Its true. Honolulu would have to spend billions on venues. On the other hand, this might be where the other islands come in. You could divide up the games and allow the other islands to benefit from some new venues too.

Quote:
and would have to build and fund many venues that wouldn't have a purpose after the Olympics ended.
Well, I suppose the University of Hawaii would suddenly find itself flush with new facilities. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-12-2009, 06:48 PM
 
2,352 posts, read 1,816,386 times
Reputation: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Only to certain people is Houston "extremely" hot. Austin is the worst place you could think of for hosting the Olympics.

LOLOLOLOLOL I never said anything about Austin hosting anything.

As for Houston not being hot? Are you out of your mind?

Houston in August is a slice of hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 06:52 PM
 
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
5,847 posts, read 11,015,870 times
Reputation: 3829
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post

I may be wrong because I don't know very much about Honolulu, but my gut feeling is that the city just doesn't have the number of venues needed to host an Olympics...and would have to build and fund many venues that wouldn't have a purpose after the Olympics ended.
Kind of like Athens and Beijing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 06:56 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,265,202 times
Reputation: 2781
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Kind of like Athens and Beijing?
I don't know, but those are much larger cities that could absorb venues a little better. They may have a little-used Olympic Stadium, but they don't have 12 other venues and stadiums that were built solely for the Games and then never used afterwards. They also had the support of their nations' governments. In the U.S., Olympic cities are pretty much on their own...that is a major difference.

A host city has to have a certain number of venues already in place or at least have a plan for using the venues afterwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Houston
2,026 posts, read 3,674,536 times
Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
LOLOLOLOLOL I never said anything about Austin hosting anything.

As for Houston not being hot? Are you out of your mind?

Houston in August is a slice of hell.
lol! If Houston where to win, there's no way it would be scheduled for August or July. The Olympics would be in late September and early October or late April and early May. If the Olympics is ever held in Texas, my guess is that it would be scheduled for April or early May.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 07:03 PM
 
Location: Searching n Atlanta
802 posts, read 1,745,126 times
Reputation: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I don't know, but those are much larger cities that could absorb venues a little better. They may have a little-used Olympic Stadium, but they don't have 12 other venues and stadiums that were built solely for the Games and then never used afterwards. They also had the support of their nations' governments. In the U.S., Olympic cities are pretty much on their own...that is a major difference.

A host city has to have a certain number of venues already in place or at least have a plan for using the venues afterwards.
Just asking, How Many Venues are needed for a city to host the olympics?

And if they hold the olympics in the US wouldn't they hold it during the summer months when American Kids arent in school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 07:29 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,265,202 times
Reputation: 2781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
Just asking, How Many Venues are needed for a city to host the olympics?

And if they hold the olympics in the US wouldn't they hold it during the summer months when American Kids arent in school?
I'm not sure exactly how many venues are needed...there are +-28 sports. Some of them can share a venue, while others don't require a permanent or overly large structure. There were 17 permanent arenas and stadiums used in Atlanta - not counting the soccer venues in other cities...and not counting shooting, rowing and yachting venues...and not counting the temporary cycling and archery venues. Only 5 of those 17 had to be constructed as new venues - the other 12 were already in place.

I'm don't know that the Olympics are scheduled around school calendars. Atlanta, L.A. and Barcelona started in July...Bejing and Athens started in August...Sydney started in October. I think they are definitely set for sometime during the summer months, although I'm sure you know that summer months aren't the same everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 07:39 PM
 
1,247 posts, read 3,429,210 times
Reputation: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
What city would be a good canidate to host a olympics in, lets say 2024

My Choices:
Chicago- THey wanted it so I would knock them out of the choices
Houston- Large City with areas to build large venues


but the City I would love to see host the olympics is.....

Detroit-a Great American city that is Dying. I would love to see The billions of Dollars that Olympics bring pumped into that city.


What cities do you think Should Host the 2024 Olympics?
My Choice for the 2020 olympics is between Johanesburg, Dubai, or Baghdad
I really like the Detroit idea, feasible and beneficial to the city. I might even make a thread about the idea in the Detroit forum here, if you don't mind....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 07:39 PM
 
Location: DFW Texas
3,096 posts, read 6,773,285 times
Reputation: 2141
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Look, I hate to sound like I'm dissing Dallas, but c'mon. There is no scenery in DFW. I mean really. It's a God Forsaken barren wasteland with steel and glass.

Can you say no trees? And please don't tell me it's not hot in Dallas in the summer.

I remember going to a Ranger's game several years back. Randy Johnson was pitching against Nolan Ryan. When I got to the park at about 730, the sun was already setting. The temperature was 99 degrees. NO BREEZE. Sweltering hot. I was miserable the entire game roasting my ass off. The game ended after 10pm. Sun had been down for almost 3 hours. It had cooled way down to 97 degrees. I sprinted to my car to turn on the AC

For normal human beings, I'd say that's hot alright.

The only places where there are no trees are in the downtown area (like any other city), and the suburban areas where all vegetation has been stripped for development. Besides in 2020, that is 10 years away, plenty of time for trees planted now and a few years ago to be grown enough.
Most events like swimming, track, etc. can be held indoors, and what is in EVERY building in Dallas?? AIR CONDITIONING!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 07:51 PM
 
Location: Houston
2,026 posts, read 3,674,536 times
Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
The only places where there are no trees are in the downtown area (like any other city), and the suburban areas where all vegetation has been stripped for development. Besides in 2020, that is 10 years away, plenty of time for trees planted now and a few years ago to be grown enough.
Most events like swimming, track, etc. can be held indoors, and what is in EVERY building in Dallas?? AIR CONDITIONING!!!!!!!
Thank you! I knew I remembered seeing trees and forest in the DFW! Granted, it's not much compared to Houston or Austin.

I suppose the biggest event that would have to be held outside would be cycling and the marathon (which I seriously doubt Africans runners are going to be bothered by the Dallas "heat"). I don't think the outdoor water events would be a huge deal for the athletes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top