Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 10:45 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times

Advertisements

I don't like my NY accent, but you know when I want a pen instead of a pin. You know when I'm talking about Dawn instead of Don. Last but not least, you know when I'm angry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 11:04 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
There is a big misconception of NJ and it's accents. Fact is, most NJ residents do not have a detectable accent that most people think of when they think "NJ accent". That accent (think Sopranos) is so rare that you have to be within 10 miles or so of Manhattan to hear it even occasionally. That is a very, very small portion of NJ.

Furthermore, even within the region of NJ nearest to NYC, it tends to be only the over 45 age group who has a detectable NJ/NY accent. Younger people today, even in that region, do not typically exhibit the dropping of "r's" the way their parents' generation did.

Where I grew up in NJ (~15 miles from NYC) nobody had any sort of accent, other than a general suburban Northeastern tone and speed of speech. I can remember moving there as a kid (from NYC) and all the kids in school asking me why I talked so funny (I still had a NY accent at that point).

I always get a kick when somebody from out of the area visits NJ and says "the people don't really talk funny here". LOL. They almost sound disappointed.

+1!

My family is from NE New Jersey, less than 11 miles as the crow flies fom Midtown Manhattan, and I was born there. My parents moved to FL when I was seven, so my personal accent (or, rather, lack thereof) is not telling. If anything, I slip in a few too many "y'alls" into my casual speak.

However, my mother is one of six siblings, all of whom grew up through adulthood in the NE Jersey area. Only ONE of her siblings (let's call her, my crazy aunt), says things like "Cawwfee" and "Dawwg".

We all think she puts it on. No way that she can be the only one that talks that way. She likes people to think she's from Jersey, apparently. It also seems to be a conversation starter for her when meeting new people at the store, "Oh my gawwd, you're from Jersey? Whereat?" (As if it's a surprise. In Southern Florida, everyother person is from NY, NJ, or PA!)

My cousins in South Jersey (Brick, Pt. Pleasant) had a more pronounced accent than anyone I've known in NE Jersey, and FORGET about my friend who grew up in Trenton. Yikes, talk about Philly influence!

Old 12-30-2009, 12:08 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
No, I don't appreciate those with such a speech impediment. Sounds like a bunch of blundering idiots to me, a bunch of crass, uneducated goons who never advanced beyond working in the produce yards down by the river. No, I don't appreciate the accent and I've never been impressed with any person just because they were from NY.
Good grief. Is everyone in San Francisco as bitter and vitriolic as you?

New Yorkers of often guilty of a cultural trait of being self-proud, but my exposure to Bay area folk is increasingly revealing a culture of bitter intolerance of others.

ABQConvict

Old 12-30-2009, 01:01 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,103,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
No, I don't appreciate those with such a speech impediment. Sounds like a bunch of blundering idiots to me, a bunch of crass, uneducated goons who never advanced beyond working in the produce yards down by the river. No, I don't appreciate the accent and I've never been impressed with any person just because they were from NY.

Many of us agree with you that the NY accent is very annoying.

Most of us are just not impressed by someone JUST because they are from NY

Old 12-30-2009, 02:44 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
The only time I ever heard someone say the NY accent is annoying is on C-D. Like one of the posters said, people circle around us like we're celebs when we're out of state and ask us to say words because they love the way we pronounce words.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:55 PM

How would you know they make fun of the accent if you don't have one??? Everyone you happened to travel, you guys happened to be talking about the NYC accent??? lol You must be fascinated with the accent if you discuss it everywhere you go (which I doubt you have).

Old 12-30-2009, 02:56 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Default Jfk

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Very true, why would anybody want to sound like that?

Every place I have been in this country (except the tri state area) makes fun of the accent.
I can remember people making fun of JFK's Bostonian accent too. I suppose they can do it to anyone.

Personally, I like the Boston accent.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:00 PM

I don't think this thread would be 8 pages long if people really did dislike the accent

Moderator cut: off-topic

Last edited by Bo; 12-31-2009 at 07:47 AM.. Reason: Let's not change the subject here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.