Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 03:57 PM

859 posts, read 3,321,795 times

Advertisements

For all the things people say NJ doesn't have, we definately do have malls!

I love the selection of malls and high end stores available here. I'd it's really easy to pick a way dress and find many designers and stores that carry the type of clothes that you love.

Of course, like anywhere, there are some poor towns where the remay be people who can't afford to do a lot of shopping, but over all I would say NJ makes it easy to be well dressed. We have the most malls per square mile of any state. The town of Paramus may as well be a giant mall.

I like being able to get a good selection of designer bags, sunglasses etc. in state and not having to travel into a city.

I think a large majority of people here have a good fashion sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 05:44 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,369 times
In my opinion, people of all colors and backgrounds have bad fashion sense everywhere. Even in New York, Los Angeles, and Dallas. Fact is, a lot of these people try to look good but ultimately fail.

Just as well, there are people with excellent fashion sense in every city. Thank God.

Remember that there's a fine line between being pretentious and being tasteful. Dallas has been crossing that line, yet people still say that it's impossible to outdress a Dallas woman.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:50 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artichoke63 View Post
What I mean by best dress is not dressed up to the nines. I mean, creative, interesting, take an interest in fashion. You can shop at thrift stores and still have an interesting look.
Exactly. It's all in how you put outfits together.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:50 PM

506 posts, read 1,475,389 times
Nashville and Birmingham. It is much more conservative, but in my opinion it looks the best. You won't see a bunch of people with gelled hair. You will see professional conservative haircuts that their Dad's wore and their Dad's before that, and Brooks Brothers suits. They keep things conservative, nothing flashy like I've seen with LA people (i.e. rims on their nice cars, gel, vertical striped shirts).

Old 12-09-2007, 08:49 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAngler View Post
Nashville and Birmingham. It is much more conservative, but in my opinion it looks the best. You won't see a bunch of people with gelled hair. You will see professional conservative haircuts that their Dad's wore and their Dad's before that, and Brooks Brothers suits. They keep things conservative, nothing flashy like I've seen with LA people (i.e. rims on their nice cars, gel, vertical striped shirts).
I don't mind that.

However, there's just something in me that thinks following the latest fashion trends is kind of stupid. But to each their own, right?

Old 12-09-2007, 09:18 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,634,909 times
You are describing the Trad or preppy look. I would guess you get a lot of that in Savannah and Charlotte too. Style is constant - fashion fluctuates. You should join Andy's Forum. You can read the forums without registering. Ask Andy FORUMS - Powered by vBulletin

For those interested in the subject I recommend reading Gentleman: A Timeless Fashion by Bernhard Roetzel who is Anglophilic. Dressing the Man: Mastering the Art of Permanent Fashion by Alan Flusser is also one of the best books in the subject. They are not only about formal wear. I think every man should learn the art of dressing well if not already taught from father and grandfather. Buying a good pair of shoes is a good start. Dressing like a dandy not only looks great. You also end up spending less in the long run. Cheap clothes of low quality tend to not last particularly long.

Funny websites on the subject: Dandyism.net and over the top The Chap - MAGAZINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAngler View Post

Last edited by internat; 12-09-2007 at 10:08 PM..

Old 12-09-2007, 10:50 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hupbrepis View Post
wow
dallas was on almost everyones list
its cause of me... : )
YEAH! I knew we had alot of those dressy types hereand too many places to shop..but I never knew we came across as 'in style' haha COOL!!!

Old 12-09-2007, 11:11 PM

274 posts, read 320,223 times
PARIS! Then New York, London, Milan!!

Old 12-09-2007, 11:34 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,634,909 times
Except for a few wealthy neighbourhoods I wouldn't consider Londoners well-dressed. It depends a lot on social class and profession. You get much more of the English gentleman look in regions such as the Cotswolds area. Bankers in the financial district don't count. They have to wear a suit. I know several investment bankers who dress sloppy otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintLaurent View Post
PARIS! Then New York, London, Milan!!

Old 12-10-2007, 09:18 AM

506 posts, read 2,149,362 times
Dallas has always been a fashion center and women here tend to put effort into their physical appearance (there are exceptions to every rule, unfortunately!). I've had friends visit from other parts of the U.S. and they always comment about how "put together" the women are - even just to go to the grocery store!

Most of our female friends wouldn't be caught dead leaving the house without an appropriate amount of makeup and a little effort in making sure they look nice. Knowing how to dress appropriately is part of having good fashion sense - casual wear doesn't have to mean sloppy.

We have a good friend who moved to outside Detroit a number of years ago and she was appalled at what the women wore in public up there - and they lived in one of the upscale suburbs. Sweatpants, hair pulled back, no makeup - she said they'd show up at their kids' school looking like they just rolled out of bed. Our friend, on the other hand, would be there casually (and appropriately) dressed with makeup, sculptured nails, jewelry and other things that made for an attractive and complete appearance - in other words, casual wear she'd wear anywhere back home in Dallas. She said the other women looked at her like she was some painted up hooker or clown! She didn't care and laughed at how, next to those frumpy women, she probably did look like one of those! LOL! Her husband, who is from up there originally, has always said (laughingly) that the reason he moved to Dallas after college was to marry a pretty girl!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.