Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2009, 01:41 PM

75 posts, read 209,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS200 View Post
What really concerns me is that some of you got letters saying that you may qualify for EB, and others like myself got letters saying that benefits have been exhausted and we have received our final payment. For those of you who got the EB letter, have you run out of your EUC yet? What was your original date of filing for unemployment?
From my understanding no one here in Georgia has received a letter pretaining to EB benefits yet, because the DOL is not to send them out until May 8. If anyone has received a letter, by all means do post it so we will know.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:19 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishva View Post
I am watching the hearings-what really stands out with all of this is our representatives in Washington really do not get the reality of what is actually going on out in America. Several of these gentleman questioned the length of time that benefits are paid out and referencing that we are sitting at home and not looking for jobs due to our receiving these UI benefits. As if...
Unless they've actually been unemployed during a down economy or known someone in that position, I'm not surprised they don't understand. UI isn't even enough to cover basic expenses for many people, especially here in GA where the benefits are a fraction of what I had in MN, and so there's a HUGE incentive to find work before you bank account slowly bleeds to death.

I've been unemployed three times for 10 (1993), 8 (2002), and 16 (2003-4) months respectively up in MN. The standard 26 weeks didn't cover *any* of those periods to completion, but thankfully I had extensions I could count on for all of the above (being a former airline employee who lost my job after 9/11 accounted for the last one) when I couldn't find contract or other work, but right now it's even tougher than it was during the downturn in the early 90's.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:29 PM

462 posts, read 989,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE WIZ View Post
From my understanding no one here in Georgia has received a letter pretaining to EB benefits yet, because the DOL is not to send them out until May 8. If anyone has received a letter, by all means do post it so we will know.
It was Lynx who posted that he/she got a letter talking about possible eligibility for EB.

Last edited by SMS200; 04-23-2009 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-23-2009, 02:48 PM

I spoke with an attorney today who gave me these general guidelines for Extended Benefits.

1. You need to be unemployed or underemployed (part time people can collect now with the new laws in place)
2. You have exhausted all regular and EUC benefits
3. You have exhausted EUC after or on the selected date, but if you exhausted it prior to that date then you must have a benefit year that ends after that date. Example: The date is May 8, you qualify for EB if your EUC runs out on or after that date. If your EUC runs out prior to May 8, then you must have a benefit year that ends after May 8th.

The attorney said that these are the guidelines that most states are using, he couldn't guarantee that Georgia wouldn't add some twists.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:13 PM

160 posts, read 530,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Unless they've actually been unemployed during a down economy or known someone in that position, I'm not surprised they don't understand. UI isn't even enough to cover basic expenses for many people, especially here in GA where the benefits are a fraction of what I had in MN, and so there's a HUGE incentive to find work before you bank account slowly bleeds to death.

I've been unemployed three times for 10 (1993), 8 (2002), and 16 (2003-4) months respectively up in MN. The standard 26 weeks didn't cover *any* of those periods to completion, but thankfully I had extensions I could count on for all of the above (being a former airline employee who lost my job after 9/11 accounted for the last one) when I couldn't find contract or other work, but right now it's even tougher than it was during the downturn in the early 90's.

How can they say people are sitting on their butts, not looking, just collecting? Alot of us can't just walk in to a company ,and fill out an application. Most salary people have to send resumes in to corporate HQ's. Thats the only way anyone will talk to me, so I have to be home on the computer sending these resumes out ,until someone wants to have a 1st interview with me.

Plus, what do you do when the GADOL Reps want you to come in and show your Work Search History? Oh well, being as you don't have a contact person for this job search, I can't accept it as credable.
So it's a good idea to apply for jobs on the GADOL site, so they have a direct refrence that you've been active on your job search.

I went through this in 03.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:35 PM

160 posts, read 530,900 times
Quote:
I spoke with an attorney today who gave me these general guidelines for Extended Benefits.

1. You need to be unemployed or underemployed (part time people can collect now with the new laws in place)
2. You have exhausted all regular and EUC benefits
3. You have exhausted EUC after or on the selected date, but if you exhausted it prior to that date then you must have a benefit year that ends after that date. Example: The date is May 8, you qualify for EB if your EUC runs out on or after that date. If your EUC runs out prior to May 8, then you must have a benefit year that ends after May 8th.

The attorney said that these are the guidelines that most states are using, he couldn't guarantee that Georgia wouldn't add some twists.

That part lost me.

Hard to speculate, but knowing Ga. politics, they'll make it tougher than it should be.

Last edited by ne georgia; 04-23-2009 at 03:53 PM..

Old 04-23-2009, 03:37 PM

62 posts, read 134,198 times
Quote:
It was Lynx who posted that he/she got a letter talking about possible eligibility for EB.
I AM sorry! I posted that I got a letter about Emergency benefits, but it wasn't about 3rd tier. It was my come to see if your still eligible for benefits letter after you exhaust you benefit year. Sorry everyone. I had my hopes up that it was about third tier but it wasnt. I posted the mistake but some people might of not read that post and got confused.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:43 PM

62 posts, read 134,198 times
I have looked at the rules for most states, and the cut off date that your benefits had to run out after is in February or in March. If GA makes it April or May that would be wrong, because alot of people are not going to qualify, like myself. My last check was on March 14 and my benefit year ended on April 14, but I have only found one state that the date was later and it was only one week later. I'm praying that GA does not leave me out.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ne georgia View Post
How can they say people are sitting on their butts, not looking, just collecting? Alot of us can't just walk in to a company ,and fill out an application. Most salary people have to send resumes in to corporate HQ's. Thats the only way anyone will talk to me, so I have to be home on the computer sending these resumes out ,until someone wants to have a 1st interview with me.

Plus, what do you do when the GADOL Reps want you to come in and show your Work Search History? Oh well, being as you don't have a contact person for this job search, I can't accept it as credable.
So it's a good idea to apply for jobs on the GADOL site, so they have a direct refrence that you've been active on your job search.

I went through this in 03.
Have you been to the GDOL job site? I just looked, and here is one of the job descriptions: "No prior experience or training required. Must be able to work independently. Must be able to communicate in basic oral and written in English. Ability to read a limited number of two- and three-syllable words and to recognize similarities and differences between words and between series of numbers. Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers". There are tons of jobs for fruit and vegetable pickers. A lot of jobs for professionals like Biochemist, chemical engineers, nurses, and jobs that require years of experience in things that I know nothing about. I havent made through all the counties yet, just Fulton. This is so frustrating

Old 04-23-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ne georgia View Post
That part lost me.

Hard to speculate, but knowing Ga. politics, they'll make it tougher than it should be.
I was using that date as an example. Let me try and explain again....differently. My EUC ran out on April 12, so if Georgia uses May 8th as a start date for EB I will qualify because my benefit year ends in October. The key is that you have to have time left in your benefit year Hope that helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia