Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2011, 06:42 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Interesting. You think you are saying something of importance? To me, what you opine on this topic is uninformed, naieve and mostly false. But you are entitled to your opinions, even if they make no sense and fly in the face of science.
A more fitting analogy, rather than the bizarre thinking that has been presented thus far, is handedness. An individual born left handed can certainly learn to write with the right hand, but that person will always be innately left handed.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:30 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,947,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Yes, those studies are peer-reviewed by the scientific community. Did you not notice?

It appears that you are yet another person who demands studies yet refuses to even look at them when they are presented. How does that contribute to the discussion. How do you expect your opinion to be taken seriously?
Yawn.

When are you guys going to get the point. In case YOU haven't read MY previous posts... let me rephrase...

1. I do not have a problem with people being homosexual.
2. I do not agree with the homosexual lifestyle, but what they do behind closed doors is their business.
3. I do not agree with those saying that being homosexual is "normal" because it's not.
4. I do not agree with taking a lifestyle that has no scientific basis (yet) as "normal" and demanding an acceptance by society and a changing of doctrine or laws based on that lifestyle.
5. In one's counter-argument to number 3, don't try to claim it's from birth because that hasn't been proven yet.
6. In one's counter-argument to number 4, don't cite studies that aren't vastly accepted as fact in this country, let alone by the scientific community.
7. In one's counter-argument to number 5, we don't (as a community, society, civilization, or species) discount that 2+2= 4, we don't discount that the sun rises in the East and sets in the West, we don't argue that males and females are biologically different. We don't argue that a statuate mile is 5,280 feet. We don't argue that the Earth revolves around the Sun. We don't argue that cells reproduce.

Why? THESE are scientific facts, proven beyond a doubt. If the studies provided were conclusive, this entire thread wouldn't exist. The fact that it still does is proof in and of itself that your beliefs are your beliefs only and that is fine. But stop trying to claim them as scientific fact. If it were fact, no further discussion would need to take place.

If scientific evidence, TRUE scientific evidence, existed - and a thread like this popped up, I would be arguing from a different perspective... believe it or not.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:50 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
lol...Ive said the same thing before. If a person has been married and had kids the natural way, they arent fooling anyone but themselves. They may be bisexual, at minimum, but they sure arent homosexual. This applies to both women and men.
They are bi-sexual solytaire and society in the past has forced people who are either bisexual or gay to produce children to hide their sexuality. I do believe that one's sexuality is determined before birth because do heterosexuals choose to be "straight"? One can choose their sexual behavior but not their sexual orientation.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:39 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
lol...Ive said the same thing before. If a person has been married and had kids the natural way, they arent fooling anyone but themselves. They may be bisexual, at minimum, but they sure arent homosexual. This applies to both women and men.
I couldn't agree with you more on that

Old 08-04-2011, 10:25 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
If scientific evidence, TRUE scientific evidence, existed - and a thread like this popped up, I would be arguing from a different perspective... believe it or not.
Well, the evidence clearly notes an innate physiological component driving homosexuality. It doesn't matter what laymen think of it. It certainly doesn't matter what the masses of laymen think of it given that the US population isn't generally scientifically educated in the first place. The scientific evidence exists. Either way, I don't buy your argument that my, yours, and everybody else's heterosexuality is some kind of choice. We were born that way.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:36 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Quote:

2. I do not agree with the homosexual lifestyle, but what they do behind closed doors is their business.
3. I do not agree with those saying that being homosexual is "normal" because it's not.
4. I do not agree with taking a lifestyle that has no scientific basis (yet) as "normal" and demanding an acceptance by society and a changing of doctrine or laws based on that lifestyle.
5. In one's counter-argument to number 3, don't try to claim it's from birth because that hasn't been proven yet.
6. In one's counter-argument to number 4, don't cite studies that aren't vastly accepted as fact in this country, let alone by the scientific community.
7. In one's counter-argument to number 5, we don't (as a community, society, civilization, or species) discount that 2+2= 4, we don't discount that the sun rises in the East and sets in the West, we don't argue that males and females are biologically different. We don't argue that a statuate mile is 5,280 feet. We don't argue that the Earth revolves around the Sun. We don't argue that cells reproduce.

Why? THESE are scientific facts, proven beyond a doubt. If the studies provided were conclusive, this entire thread wouldn't exist. The fact that it still does is proof in and of itself that your beliefs are your beliefs only and that is fine. But stop trying to claim them as scientific fact. If it were fact, no further discussion would need to take place.

1. Yes you do have a problem with homosexuals. You seem to demand that they defend or justify themselves based on some kind of "scientific proof."

How about this: Gay people exist in society. They constitute a community of citizens and they are a minority. They deserve the tolerance and respect that all citizens deserve, minority or not.

2. No one is asking you to agree with any "lifestyle" ... the "gay lifestyle" ... the "Jewish lifestyle" ... the "vegetarian lifestyle" etc. etc. ad nauseam.
You are asking people to go back into the closet, and that ain't gonna happen.

3. It's not "normal" to be left-handed or have blue eyes or an IQ over 160. So your point is?

4. Sexual orientation is not a lifestyle. You are using the buzz-words and fallacies that bigots use to defend their hatreds and prejudices.

5. It has been proven. You just don't accept the facts.

6. Since when isn't the American Psychiatric Association, the American Psychological Association, the National Association of Social Workers, the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Anthropological Association, and dozens of other organizations NOT part of the "scientific community." Sheesh

7. Some people are still arguing these things. Some people are still arguing the earth is flat; the landing on the moon was a NASA hoax; that the Holocaust never happened; that 9/11 was an inside job masterminded by the US Government; etc.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:34 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times
Quote:
Yawn.

When are you guys going to get the point. In case YOU haven't read MY previous posts... let me rephrase...

Yawn. How would you even KNOW? It's obvious you are not well informed about any of the studies in this field. So why would anyone give your opinion on what science does or not say about homosexuality any weight at all?

Why not just read the studies presented? Why not do a little research on ALL the studies in this field?

Why do you think most researchers and health professional all agree that sexual orientation is not a choice? Why are they saying that there are biological causes? Because of the whole BODY of studies over the past 40 years, not just one study.

The fact that this thread exists just proves there are plenty of ignorant prejudiced people who like to spout their opinions without bothering to do any research at all.

Of course it would be a lot simpler if those people would just listen to the stories of gay people themselves or the parents of gay people. But apparently all gay people must be liars according to those who think homosexuality is a choice. Abd apparent;y all those reserachers and millions of health professionals worldwide, must be liars too.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:59 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,370,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Actually, I think it is the critical question to the debate. Because the entire debate over the past few has been about behavioral questions. If it turns out that the root cause of homosexuality is indeed genetic in nature, then I think the moral stigma of it can be removed once and for all. Then one would not be legally or socially penalize for being gay any more than one would be for being left-handed or red-headed.
Maybe, but it should also be noted that the stigma can be removed without this data too. Discovering there is a genetic element to it is not the only path open to us. Pointing out that stigmatising people for it is entire baseless for example is another such path open to us. Pointing out the biases that lead people to stigmatise it, and stigmatise those biases instead is yet another. There are more.

As with most issues, all directions of attack should be taken in parallel.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:24 AM

152 posts, read 216,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Maybe, but it should also be noted that the stigma can be removed without this data too. Discovering there is a genetic element to it is not the only path open to us. Pointing out that stigmatising people for it is entire baseless for example is another such path open to us. Pointing out the biases that lead people to stigmatise it, and stigmatise those biases instead is yet another. There are more.

As with most issues, all directions of attack should be taken in parallel.
Or in other words .... the battle plan to spread the gay agenda is to simply keep saying "we're not hurting anyone" and "we're perfectly normal" and "we're not doing anything wrong" and "prove it" .... over and over and over again, until enough of the politically correct sheep population of our world are duped into once again lowering society's moral standards another notch.

Personally, I hope you guys hurry up and find this missing genetic link that causes your homosexual tendencies. Because most of those scientific studies you keep quoting are really medical research projects, trying to find cures for other genetic defects and diseases.

The quicker they can prove it's a genetic defect, the quicker we can all start working on a cure for the mental illness.

Generations from now, people will look back on this time in history and laugh about it .... saying, "Wow, they almost pulled it off. They almost talked the rest of the world into believing that there was absolutely nothing abnormal or weird about a man lusting to put his penis in another man as$." "How gullible some people must have been back in the olden days of 2011."

Old 08-05-2011, 05:45 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couldabeenacontender View Post
Or in other words .... the battle plan to spread the gay agenda is to simply keep saying "we're not hurting anyone" and "we're perfectly normal" and "we're not doing anything wrong" and "prove it" .... over and over and over again, until enough of the politically correct sheep population of our world are duped into once again lowering society's moral standards another notch.

Personally, I hope you guys hurry up and find this missing genetic link that causes your homosexual tendencies. Because most of those scientific studies you keep quoting are really medical research projects, trying to find cures for other genetic defects and diseases.

The quicker they can prove it's a genetic defect, the quicker we can all start working on a cure for the mental illness.

Generations from now, people will look back on this time in history and laugh about it .... saying, "Wow, they almost pulled it off. They almost talked the rest of the world into believing that there was absolutely nothing abnormal or weird about a man lusting to put his penis in another man as$." "How gullible some people must have been back in the olden days of 2011."
Great post and one badly needed in this thread to yank it back in the direction of some sanity.

Note that agenda is to do all you mentioned and to "stigmatise those biases". In other words, to belittle and name call until every last sheep in the vast world-wide herd is under their complete control and scared to death to think a thought of their own. This strategy, of course, has been in place for quite some time now and has been remarkably successful.

How gullible indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates