Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2011, 11:52 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,726,478 times

Advertisements

What's alarming is the percentage of the population that accept the exhausted-beyond-measure bogus comparison to the civil rights struggle based on race and go quietly away in submission.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-25-2011 at 04:08 PM..

Old 07-25-2011, 07:04 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,878,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
I don't approve of the behavior of adulterers... does that make me afraid of them?

I don't approve of murderers... does that make me afraid of them.

I don't approve of people who put gum under desks... does that make me afraid of them.

I can point to science that shows blacks are born that way. I can point to science that proves women are born that way. Since no credible science backs up your contention that gays are born that way (other than the childish "uh huh!!"), then there's no furthering the conversation.
I agree

Quote:
If your line of logic is true, you MUST give civil liberties and freedom from persecution to pedophiles, those who prefer beastiality, and any other social deviance (murder, rape, etc.).
No

Quote:
When do we draw the line between allowable actions? Between two consenting adults? Then adultery should be legal.
It should, it is not governments business to keep tabs on who you sleep with. I'm not saying I agree with adultery, but that should be between couples and their religous institutions or peers.

Quote:
There has to be a line, and I think scientific proof is a good one.
Quote:
Should, one day, science prove that being gay is not a choice at all, I will be the first one to stand arm-in-arm with pro-gay activists for free rights. Until then, stamp your feet all you want... I'm used to kids doing that.
No Kidding, exactly, they remind me of infantile men and women who never grew up. You have to like me and what I do no matter what or your a bigot!!!!

Quote:
I would also expect you to exhonorate everyone else's behaviors because they may have been born that way (excusing them for any behaviors they choose).
Exactly.

I'm certainly not saying all gay people fall in to this category, but I believe there is a loud group which I hope is a minority that want to say I'm born this way as an excuse to justify any selfish, hedonistic or childish behavior.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:52 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,912,001 times
No.

If there was a way to test someone's DNA or whatever, and it could be prooven on some level, and then a scientific study was done where for example, a male at the age of say 16 years old that had that chromosome or tested positive for being gay and then that research organization dropped him off for a few years on a desert island with at the very least, a few model quality women, and no other men - upon returning to see what happened at the end of the study, he would be banging all of them.

It's a choice, and not necessarily a good or bad choice to be gay. There are people that are abstain from sex completely - gay or heterosexual, like certain types of Buddhist monks. It would be ridiculous to ask if they were born prone to celibacy. There are cases of heterosexual men that in keeping with the theme of the question, could be considered "born" that way and then when faced with 20 years to life in prison (in the absence of women being available), become gay. That does not mean that they were born that way, but due to their situation and/or circumstances evolve into considering it to be an option.

People are not "born" good or evil either. If you take a person that might turn out to be evil, and for example become a brutal, tyrannical dictator of a third world country that committs horrible crimes against other people and had the chance to have him instead be born in a wealthy suburb somewhere in the US, and raised by a loving family and exposed to a different set of life factors, he could or would become a doctor, a lawyer, contributing member of society and probably never even get a speeding ticket.

Whether or not someone is gay is a conscious choice based on a multitude of factors that are more numerous than any team of psychologists and sociologists could ever figure out, as human behavior in every realm (sexual, political, economic, etc) is not predictable or at times fully understandable.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:09 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,977,770 times
And if there were a test that could prove one's sexuality definitively, then what? Would we be required to have that information on our driver's license/id card like we are our race/eye color/hair color? Although gay propagandists liken their condition to that of the races, or other inborn traits, I suspect they would actually object being subjected to the same codification of their sexuality by the govt on things like driver's licenses, in the manner that we are required to provide information regarding race, gender or eye color on driver's licenses.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:19 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,866,274 times
if one isnt born homosexual, and its a choice...then the same can be said about heterosexuals...
sure you cant PROVE that a person is born gay...but you cant PROVE there born straight either.

if you cannot be born gay, then you cannot either be born straight by that generalization...

personally as i said before...i dont recall waking up one day and thinking "hey i think im going to be bisexual today" i dont recall making a "choice"...

i have made the choice in the past to ACT upon it...
but i certainly dont recall just randomly deciding who to be attracted to...
i just am...

ive never realy questions it beyond, this is who i am, its how my brain works and im ok with that.

i dont want special treatment for it...
but i do want to be treated with general respect and have the same rights every other person in the country has in reguards to marriage, raising a family, having a home or a job ect...
because i certainly didnt "choose" to like both sexes just to make my life easier LOL!

Old 07-26-2011, 09:24 AM

366 posts, read 775,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaomao View Post
I've been wondering this for a long time- do people really believe that gays are born gay? If so, is there really enough scientific evidence to support this theory?

I don't believe that people are born gay, or with any particular sexual preference- why is that so wrong for me to believe it's a combination of predisposition to certain things, coupled with the environment?

For example, some people are predisposed to be more sensitive/emotional than others- if they are raised in an environment that is very insensitive/emotionally invalidating, it can be disastrous for that person.

I don't hate gays- I don't believe they should be hated for what they do/who they're attracted to, but I just don't see how it's wrong/hateful to believe that sexual attraction to things is NOT GENETIC.

Do you believe that people who are sexually attracted to children (pedophilia) are born sexually attracted to children, too? Is there also a pedophile gene? What about people who are sexually attracted to animals? Is there a gene for that, too? I'm mostly interested in men of certain races- does that mean I was born attracted to those races, too?

I am very interested in psychology, and I know well that environment is very important in shaping people in various ways- why is this overlooked and discounted so much when we discuss sexual orientation?

I sincerely apologize if this is not really 'Great Debates' worthy- and this is not a topic to encourage hatred toward anyone, because I don't believe in that sort of thing- but I am legitimately curious about the 'gay gene' theory, what basis for it there is, and if it applies to other sexual 'orientations' as well. If not, why?
We don't get to decide our biological parents, gender, ethnicity, nationality, or sexuality.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:55 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,878,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiansheng_g View Post
We don't get to decide our biological parents, gender, ethnicity, nationality, or sexuality.
Is your opinion on the last.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:34 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,867,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Don't waste your time..........some posters are simply argumentative. When posters debate without providing links....I don't take them seriously.

I ask for their ACADEMIC CREDENTIALS IF they make ridiculous assertions......I never get a reply.

For the record....I have my Bachelor Of Science degree from The Pennsylvania State University......with a double major in the Earth Sciences and Geography.....and I currently work as a Nurse.
Well, since you mention it, I have a BA from the U. of N.C. at Greensboro, majored in Philosophy, a heavy math and science field of study.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:28 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,391,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
Is your opinion on the last.
Plus it is the educated opinion of millions of health professionals and hundreds of millions of gay people.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:46 AM

283 posts, read 409,226 times
I truly believe that it is something that your born with, I have several gay family members and we all grew up just alike and had the same parentage and we all knew early that our brothers and one sis was not normal as some people call it. I believe without a dough is not a choice. My father hated it and my siblings would not want to push the issue but then my dad just said hey i know your not straight i have known since your early child hood and he got over it quick and we love them the same as the rest. I want them to have the exact rights and privileges that i enjoy as a straight woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates