Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2015, 03:01 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times

Advertisements

Hey, bob, what is that quote from Adolf Hitler?
Surely you know the one, about how Germany is going to be so much safer for EVERYBODY now that no one would be allowed to have guns except the military and police?
How did that work out, from 1935 to 1945?

"A couple of little tid bits you failed to see in my adopting repealing the second amendment.
You state if guns were not sold there would still be 320 million around.
Not so, the congress, once the amendment to repeal is passed, would order the army to mobilize throughout the country, and confiscate all guns in the hands of citizens, so that action would rule out anyone owning a gun.

The penalty for having one after the congress rule, would be 25 years in prison, and if the gun were used in the commission of a crime, that would carry a lifetime sentence in federal prison.
I DO believe any one would be a complete fool, black market or not, to be found with a gun.

Bob."

YOU, sir, are more frightening than the mentally ill people who kill others!
By the way, I am NOT an NRA member. However, I certainly AM a pro-gun lobbyist, in my own small way. I definitely DO write letters to my Senators and Representative regarding the issue.

A while back, Washington State passed what was touted as a "common sense gun law". Since then, there have been repeated violations of that law. How many arrests have been made? Could it be that there wasn't much "common sense" in that law after all?

Last edited by Redraven; 10-02-2015 at 03:13 PM..

Old 10-02-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
Once again, gun people simply DO NOT CARE about the senseless death and mayhem that guns cause. Who is surprised by this?
Oh, yes, we DO care!
We care so deeply that we are willing to take these mentally ill people and lock them away so they can never hurt anybody with any weapon or tool ever again.
Are YOU "gun control" advocates willing to control PEOPLE as much as you are an inanimate object?
Are you one of those who are willing to allow the crazies among us to run wild and free?

Old 10-02-2015, 03:19 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
We have law that forbids people from buying guns illegally and laws that ban convicted criminals from having guns. Since those don't work, and the govt. does not want to pass strict penalties for breaking these laws, criminals still have guns. So it is only fair, for law abiding citizens to be able legally to own guns to protect themselves from the evil people in the world. Texas has recently passed laws allowing, in some cases, guns on school campus's. Maybe if more schools did this, criminals would be more afraid of walking on to school grounds with guns and the intent to kill.

Reynard wrote:
Quote:
Once again, gun people simply DO NOT CARE about the senseless death and mayhem that guns cause. Who is surprised by this?

This is absolutely false. I am all in favor of taking ever person who ever murdered anyone, with a gun or knife or whatever, put them all up against a wall, and give them the same that they gave out. Death. Two appeals, then you're history. Murder should never be tolerated in a civilized society.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:20 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,184,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
They care deeply about innocent people being killed by crazies and thugs. Thats why they demand the ability to defend their families. They dont want to become one of these innocent victims.
Keeping a gun in the home increases your chances of dying from a gunshot wound by a factor of nearly four. You see safety in additional risk. That's folly.

Gun people otherwise offer nothing in terms of ways and means to reduce the horrific toll of gun-related death and mayhem we suffer from in this country. The best they can come up with is a childish after-the-fact reclassification of all who do harm with a gun as mental defectives, then claiming that we should simply have better mental heath programs. The logical strength of such claims is akin to the strength of wet tissue paper, but they don't have anything better.

Bottom Line: They just DON'T CARE! The death and maiming of any number of people is simply peachy keen with them.

Last edited by Reynard32; 10-02-2015 at 03:30 PM..

Old 10-02-2015, 03:26 PM

529 posts, read 369,853 times
Reading through some of this and I have to point out a few stats:

Mass Shootings in 2015 - Mass Shooting Tracker

Mass shooting numberss:

In 2013 we had 502 killed and 1266 injured
In 2014 we had 383 killed and 1251 injured
In 2015 we had 378 killed and 1090 injured (pro rated out to 504 and 1453)

So in three years that is 1389 killed and 3970 injured (or 5359 total injured or killed).

Lets compare those numbers to two far more deadly problems:

http://investorplace.com/2014/06/tex.../#.Vg7vaOxVhHw

From the Department of Transportation: Cell phones are involved in some 1.6 million automobile-related accident annually — which cause some 500,000 injuries and leads to the deaths of some 6,000 each year.

Notice that is EACH YEAR.

Would anyone advocate for the rounding up of all cell phones?
They are 12 times as likely to take the life of an innocent person.

Impaired Driving: Get the Facts | Motor Vehicle Safety | CDC Injury Center

In 2013 ALONE, 10,076 people were killed in alcohol-impaired driving crashes.

Should we outlaw alcohol again?
It is 20 times more likely to cause the death of an innocent person.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Keeping a gun in the home increases your chances of dying from a gunshot wound by a factor of nearly four. You see safety in additional risk. That's folly.
Then you have people like my grandparents, parents, me and my children and grandchildren who make that statistic an outright LIE! Over 100 years of family history, with NO gun fatalities and NO gun safes, and all the guns in the house loaded at all times.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltergulick View Post
Logic failure. By your thinking we could only seek to reduce death from the most lethal activity known to man. Only once that was resolved could we begin doing something about the second-most lethal. That's simply absurd. Acting to reduce ALL sources of senseless death and mayhem is a better way to go, which is why we in fact go that way. We help the poor, not just the poorest, and the sick, not just the sickest.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Then you have people like my grandparents, parents, me and my children and grandchildren who make that statistic an outright LIE! Over 100 years of family history, with NO gun fatalities and NO gun safes, and all the guns in the house loaded at all times.
You aren't really good with statistics, are you? Keeping a gun in the home makes you more likely to shoot yourself accidentally, more likely to shoot your self deliberately, and more likely to have have someone else shoot you either accidentally or deliberately. After that, the extreme lethality of guns takes over, resulting in an increase in your odds of dying from a gunshot wound by a factor of nearly four. Consider that lots of smokers are not dead, but the odds that smoking will one day kill them have gone way, way up as compared to someone who doesn't smoke.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:59 PM

529 posts, read 369,853 times
Quote:
Logic failure. By your thinking we could only seek to reduce death from the most lethal activity known to man. Only once that was resolved could we begin doing something about the second-most lethal. That's simply absurd. Acting to reduce ALL sources of senseless death and mayhem is a better way to go, which is why we in fact go that way. We help the poor, not just the poorest, and the sick, not just the sickest.

Not at all what I said.

"Lets compare those numbers to two far more deadly problems":

How do you get any of what you posted from that?

Can you quote the part where I said anything close to what you then jumped to "we could only seek to reduce death from the most lethal activity known to man".

No you can't because it is absurd.

However, if you could remove something not constitutionally guaranteed to us, and eliminate a far greater number of injuries and deaths why wouldn't you?

Address the actual questions and stop making **** up.

Old 10-02-2015, 06:12 PM

8,549 posts, read 10,973,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltergulick View Post
Reading through some of this and I have to point out a few stats:

Mass Shootings in 2015 - Mass Shooting Tracker

Mass shooting numberss:

In 2013 we had 502 killed and 1266 injured
In 2014 we had 383 killed and 1251 injured
In 2015 we had 378 killed and 1090 injured (pro rated out to 504 and 1453)

So in three years that is 1389 killed and 3970 injured (or 5359 total injured or killed).

Texting and Driving Statistics 2014 | InvestorPlace

From the Department of Transportation: Cell phones are involved in some 1.6 million automobile-related accident annually — which cause some 500,000 injuries and leads to the deaths of some 6,000 each year.

Notice that is EACH YEAR.

Would anyone advocate for the rounding up of all cell phones?
They are 12 times as likely to take the life of an innocent person.

Impaired Driving: Get the Facts | Motor Vehicle Safety | CDC Injury Center

In 2013 ALONE, 10,076 people were killed in alcohol-impaired driving crashes.

Should we outlaw alcohol again?
It is 20 times more likely to cause the death of an innocent person.

With regard to cell phones use while driving, a few years ago I asked intel to come up with a chip for all cell phones and tablets, that would immediately lock and shut the unit down when it sensed motion.
A great way to end cell phone and other mobile devices from being used while driving.
They apparently didn't like the idea.

Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates