Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2015, 03:27 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,184,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Yes, we should get rid of all the people who unnecessarily kill and injure others with guns.
That would seem to be yet another AFTER THE FACT approach. Got anything else?

Old 10-03-2015, 03:30 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,184,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I would definitely defend my loved ones with whatever I had at hand. Sometimes it is necessary.
Yes, when people come to your home bent on killing someone who lives there. If however someone with a gun bursts in wanting to steal your TV set, run out the back door, go over to the neighbors, and call 911.

Old 10-03-2015, 05:57 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I live in a suburb of Savannah. It is safe where I live. Savannah is a tourist mecca where folks enjoy historic home tours, carriage rides, Girl Scouts roaming free in the home of their founder, carriage rides, cargo ships, etc...
There has always been an underbelly after dark, in the ghetto area. But lately, the fear of being shot has spread to the areas where SCAD students live, and where tourists roam. This is bad, and the governance has been sleeping at the switch.
Our city is racially skewed in a way in which some things have been overlooked, glossed over, and now we are paying the piper.
My long winded point is that the bad guys will always have guns. To regulate the guns out of the hands of the law abiding people is WRONG.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:05 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,481,187 times
Want to immediately reduce homicides 80-90%?

Easy! Get rid of all violent prior felons...as they are responsible for 80-90% of all homicides.

There you have it...start there! Oh, wait! You can't DO that...you need them on the streets so they can vote more liberals into office.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:14 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,484,630 times
Found this on the Net:

Thought it was apropos.

Mahrie.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:10 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
Found this on the Net:

Thought it was apropos.

Mahrie.
Sort of like when stores have a sign in their window saying no guns are allowed inside. They should just post a sign that says, "Come on in and rob us, no one will stop you".

Old 10-04-2015, 07:57 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55degrees View Post
.........I really don't see why anyone, other than the cops and military, should have the ability to STOCK UP on guns and ammunition. Sure, I can see having a single gun if you live in a city/suburb if you're scared in your home and maybe a few if you live in a rural area....even in those scenarios, no one really needs to have a gun that can fire many times before re-loading. And only a tiny fraction of people need to be able to have like more than 10 bullets at any given time. I live in TX, a totally gun loving state, which was a bit of a culture shock. I see no reason why people I know should have multiple guns as a HOBBY.
A little bit more on this.

Yesterday, I went out to range to shoot with two of my smaller pistols: a single action, single stack .45, and a double action, single stack 9mm. The .45 is an old standby, a concealable for a suit, though over the years, it has not been the most perfect weapon. Tends to stove pipe and the last rounds tend to "tumble" in anything but the most expensive magazines.The 9mm is rather new (think I've had it for at least 6 years) and still is in the evaluation stage. It was bought as a concealment replacement to the .45 and one to carry when exercising.

The .45 is "kept around" for a number of reasons. Since I am use to its quarks, it makes a good secondary gun to keep in a friendly, such as a relative's, house in case I need a gun when I'm there. The .45 is the round I "grew up" with, so I have the highest faith in it. As difficult (finding the right one, filling out paperwork, regulations and the threat of more regulations, etc) and expensive as it is to buy guns, once bought, a gun is kept for life.

Went through various bouts with 50 rounds of .45 (& it shot perfectly! No jams) and 50 rounds of 9mm.

Running into an interesting problem with the 9mm. Shooting off my weak side, the rounds where landing far to the right but counter checking that stance with the .45, I was dropping them in the center of mass. I still don't know what's causing the problem, whether it is because it's a "new" gun and there is something unknown in the weak hand grip that is causing the error, perhaps something about invisible line bifocals, perhaps something else. I'll eventually figure it out through practice.

But this is an example of the changes, the potential problems, the path to a fix that occurs with marksmanship. "We" are expected to put rounds down on target and no place else. If we do shoot an innocent bystander, we go to jail.

So, please, allow us the resources so we may perfect our art.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:17 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
Yes, when people come to your home bent on killing someone who lives there. If however someone with a gun bursts in wanting to steal your TV set, run out the back door, go over to the neighbors, and call 911.
Always try to get away first. I wouldn't do that if I had a child upstairs in the bedroom, though.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:49 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
I think I said much the same thing, Huckleberry, a couple of dozen pages back. Cain slew Abel - without a gun. David killed Goliath - without a gun. Israel 'cleansed' The Promised Land' - without a single gun, and so on....

Shabbat Shalom,

Mahrie.
When my son was in elementary school, one of the students who he knew from the bus was killed not far from his home. He was stabbed multiple times. The young man who killed him had just murdered his mother in another town. He told police that he killed her because she refused to buy cigarettes for him.

People who want to kill will use any weapon they can find.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:05 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
The catch is, "you" don't know what they want. All you know is that they have broken into your house and they have a gun.....................and you have moments, if that, to take action.

A couple of things. Once a person decides to take the retreating defense, if that doesn't work, it's so much more difficult to succeed at taking an active defense or offense.

This is perhaps out of place but I'll use it because it pretty well demonstrates this kind of situation.

"You are going out to meet a stranger. Unknown to you, they intend to attack and do you in. There are 4 possible conditions.

Condition 4: They attack, you are unprepared for their attack and they get you.
Condition 3: They attack, you defend, and they may or may not get you.
Condition 2: They attack and you respond offensively.
Condition 1 (more of an equation balancer): It's a strike mission; you are out to get them.

Conclusion: In any meeting with a stranger, conditions will be set at 2 or better. It can be assumed that an attacker is ready for someone who won't defend or will only defend......they may not be ready for someone is just as willing to kill as they are."

Okay, harsh, pre meditated murder, and all that.....BUT THINK ABOUT IT FOR A MOMENT.

Someone breaks into your house with a weapon that can kill you, what advantages do you have or how can you turn disadvantage into advantage to get out of that alive?

It's like one of the defenses for someone chasing you on the street....run into on coming traffic where it is dangerous for them to follow you (in the Cold War, an AF courier drove into oncoming traffic to escape his terrorist assassins).

Long story short, do you have a means to bring the attack back to them?

I suppose there are limits to that. I'm striking if anyone ever even hints they are going to rape me but I don't know if I have the guts if someone douses me with gasoline to threaten me with a lighter to close with them and turn them into a fireball, too.............but it is a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates